Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Different Kind of AX
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joseph Mills
Just for fun last sunday I attended the Central Oklahoma Jaguar Association club's autocross.

They were kind enough to let me participate.

There were a couple of XKE's that were pretty nice, a red roadster and a red coupe (pretty hot), plus an assortment of mid 80's sedans (V12's?), and smaller, brand new sport sedans. A dealer brought out a brand new big silver turbo'd roadster that everyone was slobbering over.

It was pretty entertaining to see what they pulled out of their trunks. At an SCCA AX you will see guys pulling out big tool boxes, floor jacks, air tanks, etc. Out of the Jags came brief cases, golf bags, gym bags, picnic baskets, etc. Not your typical teener crowd. biggrin.gif

At first glance their AX course seemed rather small and simple, but as it turns out, it's pretty cool. It is a set course that is adhered to by the other Jag clubs all over the country.

It consists of an oval that has a gate at midway of the straights that connects the two turns. Each timed run consists of 3 consecutive laps. The 1st lap you drive around and inside of the two gates on the straights which creates an hour glass shape. The 2nd lap you drive it as a figure 8. The 3rd lap you drive thru the gates on the straights turning it into an oval. There is a garage stop at the finish. You get 5 timed runs.

It was tougher than you would think and was way fun. It was very easy to get lost or skip one of your laps.

Although not a hight speed course, nevertheless, without needing much space, you can set up a course that has a variety of obstacles and turns, requires some concentration skills to not become lost and provides a 45-55 second run. And you can compare your times to other competitors in different geographical locations all over the country. And I guess over the years you can see if you're getting faster or slower. biggrin.gif

Pretty neat concept. Maybe we could do something like this for the 914Cup series someday?

Sparky did pretty good against the Jags. After the runs were finished, several guys came over asking "what kind of engine do you have in that monster?" That put a big grin on my face..."awe, it's a lil' 4-banger volkswagon motor." rolleyes.gif
nebreitling
i think that's a fabulous idea!

if 914cup could then become more than a 'virtual' series... perhaps we could do one or two 914cup *championships* per year. someone designs a neutral multi-lap course, it is plotted out and CAREFULLY measured with rope lengths, etc..., and then we get to race on the 'same' course. times really mean something. setup and verification would be a real pita, but really no more so than scca prosolo events... set it up at 4 or 5 locations across the country....

the only problem would be either securing the site/insurance/timing equipment on our own; or piggybacking onto someone else's event and then 'enforcing' our course... still, PCA might be receptive if it got more people to their AX's...

shit, this REALLY gets me thinking.... thanks for the post, joseph...

n
Joseph Mills
Nathan,

Maybe we can just all invite ourselves to the Jag Club AX courses across the country. biggrin.gif

I approached the guy in charge and said "Mister, can I enter my car in your contest?" I felt like such a cheap hustler. biggrin.gif

The guy that did the tech on the cars remarked that my tires were about worn out (VictoRacers). rolleyes.gif

Actually, we could borrow some of their course concepts (multi laps with a variance in the course), which would allow smaller venue rental to help keep the logistics reasonable.

With a bit of promotion, I think you could pull in other autocrossers in your local scene to help with expenses.

Something to think about. East coast, West coast, Southeast and Southwest. Midwest. idea.gif
Part Pricer

Here's the layout:
Part Pricer

I just noticed that there is one of these events by me in two weeks. I sent them an email about participating. We'll see. If I have to, I'll join the club (my wife drives an X-Type).

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.