Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel pump testing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TonyA
HELP I have a 74 2.0 that has been sitting for awhile. So i took off the fuel pump to test it "my way". I put a lead from the battery to the pump positive to positive and negative to negative. The repair manual that I have told me which was positive and negative on the pump. I put the supply line (S) into some gas and the other two lines one which was a clear tube into another container. I can hear it running but Its not a study pumping and even seems like it may be blowing bubbles out of the supply side. I got a little fuel to go through and some in the clear line then nothing. I put all three lines into the gas and still nothing in the clear line Is it OK to test it this way? Is the pump running backwards? If its shot can I rebuild myself? If its gummed up can I soak or use break cleaner to clean. I want to keep original so not looking for after market replacement.
mgphoto
place the pump in a bucket of gasoline, have a fire extinguisher near by, reverse the leads, pos to neg and back again. That should blow all the cr*p out of the pump.
good luck and be careful.
TonyA
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Nov 14 2017, 01:39 PM) *

place the pump in a bucket of gasoline, have a fire extinguisher near by, reverse the leads, pos to neg and back again. That should blow all the cr*p out of the pump.

I hope your not serious.
mgphoto
QUOTE(TonyA @ Nov 14 2017, 10:47 AM) *

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Nov 14 2017, 01:39 PM) *

I hope your not serious.

Hey buy a new pump.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.