Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: questions about refreshing interior trim
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
If you have restored your 914, how did you refresh your interior trim?
The rear targa bar pad on my car is not back but does have some cracking or splitting at the screw hole locations, also on the a-pillars and the top front trim piece. - Can these be recovered? is there anyone specializing in this? I have not seen new ones or used for that matter out there. there are fiberglass back pad parts and center console, and door cards, why not these pieces?

Boomingbeetle
You'd be surprised how far a can of 3M upholstery adhesive and a few yards of black vinyl from the fabric store will take you. I've done the interior sail pieces, the roll bar pad, upper windshield bar pad, a-frames, and console and they all look great. just spray both the back of the fabric, the car part, then wait a couple of minutes to get sticky. Smooth out the new vinyl and trim it all around the back with scissors and reinstall.
Mikey914
Actually we are working on making these, But yes can be recovered, The problem again is the grain and texture "exactly" like OEM. There are a few that are close.
mepstein
Get nice, used A pillar trim. It doesn't go bad that often so used should be reasonable.
Wait for Mikey to make the targa bar pad. Used is 40 years old, expensive and is like the dash pad, you're always one day away from cracking.
914_7T3
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 15 2017, 08:40 AM) *

Actually we are working on making these, But yes can be recovered, The problem again is the grain and texture "exactly" like OEM. There are a few that are close.

Timeline?
Mikey914
The texturing is where we are at right now. Product will more than likely be after Christmas.
Mark
Specracer
Im having mine fixed, as well as some small blems in door panels, and passenger seat. These blems are not large enough to find oem replacements covers etc. I discovered an old college friend got into this (that I have not seen in 10 years). He did a fantastic job on a set of leather seats today (in another car). Today was going to be the 914, but ran out of time. He will be coming back in 2 weeks. Disclaimer I have no affiliation, past now being a customer.

http://www.fibrenew.com/
Larmo63
It's probably easiest to find good used on the A pillar and B pillar pads.

The Targa pad can be recovered, but it isn't easy to do and make it look tight. Mark at 914 Rubber will most likely come up with an answer for us on these.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 15 2017, 01:40 PM) *

Good luck Mark. I know this (I) has driven you a bit batty. BTW, are you coming for Thanksgiving this year? Yopu wants me to ask... evilgrin.gif
djway
The front pad attached to the targa top is the one I find broken off most often - nudge nudge wink wink know what I mean smile.gif
PanelBilly
Beware. When you recover them, it's a lot more difficult to reassemble them. It's worth the effort but a pain in the ass no less
domer914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Nov 15 2017, 10:40 AM) *

I'd buy a targa pad from you
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.