Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CPR Blue 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
HaraPuzo
Hi, just saw this new listing at CPR and wanted to share.
So for those people seeking the pristine, low mileage 914, this might be for you.

http://mailchi.mp/d2010f67efda/rare-olympi...20?e=3232154dc1

don't know what their asking price is.
sure is nice though.
Jazzy
The car is correct and original. Except carbs, repaint, roof, B pilars, mirrors,... smile.gif
era vulgaris
Cool graphic equalizer in the center console cool.gif
cal44
This is the exact type of garbage that irritates me to no end.

The car is not correct.

And, for those that don't know, when a price isn't posted it harkens back to old B.S sales gimmicks of the past.

When a potential buyer is required to call the for the price, it puts the buyer in second position to the seller. Like a small child asking for ice cream.

It's just another way to work the potential buyer.

Another used car sales tactic.
IronHillRestorations
I have an Alphasonic EQ that fits the width of the 914 console, and I installed it just like that. I always liked having a EQ in a 914.
napasteve
I emailed CPR. Asking price is 33k.
EdwardBlume
Man that car looks familiar.... idea.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
The car is certainly not correct in many many ways, and certainly is not a low mile car. Just all of the recovering in the interior alone tells one that it was worn out and redone, and incorrectly, even the side vinyl is not correct, and the weber carbs!!!!! (also looks like the 914 and 2.0 are not centered correctly signaling that maybe the rear panel was replaced at one time.
Maybe the seller does not know and since the car looks clean thought it original? (where is the dot sticker that should be in the door jamb?)

Very good point about not posing the price, I had not thought of that reason for not doing it!!!!

QUOTE(cal44 @ Nov 16 2017, 03:06 PM) *

The car is not correct.

And, for those that don't know, when a price isn't posted it harkens back to old B.S sales gimmicks of the past.

When a potential buyer is required to call the for the price, it puts the buyer in second position to the seller. Like a small child asking for ice cream.

mepstein
QUOTE(cal44 @ Nov 16 2017, 05:06 PM) *

The car is not correct.

Asking for a price doesn’t bother me. I can always say - no thanks.
I’ve called and asked for the price on many cars. Sometimes im pleasantly surprised. And if it sounds high but I’m interested in the car, I can always ask - are you flexible on price. Many times there’s a deal to be made. Buying and selling doesn’t have to be about sleezy tactics. Sometimes it’s just a conversation to get to an agreement.
FlacaProductions
Greetings,
New to 914World, not new to Porsche or 914’s. Past includes 86 and 89 944 Turbo’s as well as my first car, a 73 1.7 in Olympic Blue, which I had for 11 years. Hence, my interest in this car 21 years after totaling my 73.

Disclaimer: I have not personally seen this car. Yet.
Am I aware that CPR may monitor this thread? Sure.
That said, I’m going to look at this car if at all possible. I’ve already asked about price and got the same 33k answer. No worries there - used cars almost always involve negotiating. Don’t like the price - don’t buy it, right?

Is this car “correct”? No.
Correctable? Mostly likely - it just depends on what level and how "correct" you want it. If you’re not looking for an instant concours participant, this might just be a nice driver. Which is what I’m looking for.

From the pictures, I see many of the same things already noted here:

Interior in corduroy - not really a bad thing for me, I’m looking for practicality/useablity over concours correctness. If the material is in good shape, i’m ok with it. In fact, I remember those seats getting pretty hot after sitting out in the sun so maybe the cord would be a nice change!

Repaint - it’s expressed in the write-up. Nothing wrong or being hidden there. An in-person look will reveal if it’s good, bad or otherwise. Too bad they went over the DOT sticker…

Carbs: Not uncommon and if done right can be more than acceptable. Question would be if a proper cam was installed during the rebuild.

Roof/sail panel leather. The roof isn’t shown in the pics and I’d like to see how this looks and how it’s been attached. Personally, I don’t think I’d be wild about it but a personal inspection will reveal all. The sail panel area can be a rust magnet so if there was some there, hopefully it was properly dealt with during the repaint.

Mirrors: well, to me it’s fine. Actually, they’re exactly what I had on my 73 so I see it as a bit of a nostalgic positive. Same with the EQ.

I also noticed the 914 and 2.0 are not properly aligned and are not the same proper (black) finish. Easily correctable. Not sure what it indicates other than possibly after the repaint they simply weren’t put back right.

Personally, I prefer Pedrini’s because that’s what “my” 73 had, but that can be changed as well, right? My 73 wasn’t totally correct either - was on it’s 2nd engine, had a fiberglass front and rear spoilers, Monza exhaust, painted sail panels, plastic dash cover and a number of other things. But I loved that car and seeing this one at CPR got me thinking. If (if) the metal is solid and it runs/shifts well, it could be really fun and a bit of a trip down memory lane for me but I’m not looking for a true “project.”

Is it worth 33k? Probably not to me and given some of the comps that i’ve seen recently, the market doesn’t reveal that to be quite right, either. What’s the right number? I guess whatever they get for it, right?

Thoughts and input greatly appreciated…
napasteve
Brian, as the owner of a ’73 Olympic Blue 2.0, I was particularly interested in this car and thread. I’ve followed CPR for some time and I’m impressed with the quality of their restorations which are mostly in the 911/912/356 families. If I lived in LA, I’d be a regular visitor to their lot. I agree that 33k seems to be an aggressive starting point based on comps but I’m no car salesman. The 33 number makes me feel pretty good about my car. The car deserves a look. Some of the door pictures make it look like the door fit is less than perfect but it could be the pictures don’t tell an accurate story. If you do look at the car, get the VIN so we can put it in the VIN database and please report your impressions.
napasteve
I got another email from CPR and they said the VIN is 4732901083. According to VIN database, this VIN was registered by user "Olympicblue914 ". Anybody know who that is?
FlacaProductions
Hi All,

A delayed response but I got to go see the car in question last week. It's a nice car - no rust that I could see: hell hole looked good, floor pan along the rockers looked good - couldn't see under the rocker covers but it appeared to me that they had been (at least) removed and reinstalled by the appearance of the rivets. Nothing nefarious there - could have simply been to repair or even check the status. Jack tubes looked good. Trunks fine - rear was especially clean.

Door gaps looked good and its extremely straight. Front hood could use a little alignment attention to clean up the gaps but it looks like a simple adjustment could take care of it.

Shifted great and pulled well. This is where I can't really offer any knowledgeable input - I just am not familiar with driving a 914 with carbs. Plus, it's been 20 years since I last drove a 914. It was making noises that I was just unfamiliar with. I am in NO way saying they were bad or "wrong" but it just didn't sound like my FI 1.7. Which is completely understandable. The exhaust sounded good - if not a bit loud - but nice.

One fog light was inoperable and the drivers seat was somewhat stiff to slide forward/back on the rails - to the point where I actually broke the adjustment lever while trying to slide forward. It was one of the plastic aftermarket versions so this was clearly addressed in the past. (I feel HORRIBLE about breaking the lever but Dylan at CPR was fantastic about it)

The only thing that I saw that concerned me is that the gaps between the rear tires and inner fenders were very different. I make no assumptions here and am only stating a fact. This could be due to different camber settings from side-to-side, 70's manufacturing standards, etc. but the car did track straight. A simple alignment could take care of this and Dylan did say that had not performed an alignment before I saw the car.

Targa top does have a very textured leather covering on it but it appears to be well-glued and doesn't look all bad, actually. It matches the sail panel material. Top fits well and does not rattle. Window gaps were pretty good - I noticed the drivers side window could use some adjustment at the top/rear to make it seal/line up better - but that's picking nits.

I was told that this was originally a Canadian car but spent the overwhelming majority of it's life in the states.

Overall, it's a really good car but I passed on the opportunity due to my unfamiliarity with carbs and I think that I may have romanticized my 914 experience due to the years! Man...they're lower than I remember and very analog. Both can be good things, but I think I need to drive a few more to re-set my baseline. After that, maybe I'll determine that I missed a good one here.

Dylan and Brian and CPR were great. Not only did they spend a good chunk of time concerning the 914, but they also gave a great tour of their other inventory as well as their entire setup at CPR.

If you have the opportunity and interest in this car or in simply seeing their other cars and checking out their place, don't hesitate to head that way.

I hope this helps - let me know if I can add anything else.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.