Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Making custom gauge faces?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
falcor75
I've got an old Saab VDO fuel gauge that I'd like to change the gauge face to a more Porsche looking face. Any ideas on how to make your own gauge face that doesnt look like crap after being exposed to sunlight etc?
mepstein
I'm hoping there is someone on World with the skill to do gauge faces. I would like a set of green face gauges and even though there are gauge companies that can do it for me, I'm hoping someone here can keep it "in house".
Mblizzard
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 16 2017, 12:00 PM) *

I'm hoping there is someone on World with the skill to do gauge faces. I would like a set of green face gauges and even though there are gauge companies that can do it for me, I'm hoping someone here can keep it "in house".

I know Tim Kinney did some work on white ones. I am having him update mine to what over the winter. He might be the source you need.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Nov 16 2017, 03:04 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 16 2017, 12:00 PM) *

I know Tim Kinney did some work on white ones. I am having him update mine to what over the winter. He might be the source you need.

Tim supplied gauges to a company called whitegauges.net and they made them. I'm sure I could have them custom make what I want but there's a good chance someone on world can do it. The guys here always amaze me with their skill and knowledge.
I actually think it would be a great addition for 914rubber.
jd74914
They have a ton of color options and $20 seems hard to beat.

http://www.whitegauges.net/categories/Porsche/914/
Chris914n6
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Nov 16 2017, 12:20 PM) *

Colors are +$30

What they sell is digital print vinyl. They might be willing to do a "custom" for the fuel gauge.

Or if you can do graphics you can print your own onto an inkjet/laser vinyl at home, top with clear UV spray paint. I'm actually going to do that to my Nissan 914N6 cluster someday, but with the added complication of being thru lit.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Nov 16 2017, 02:38 PM) *
Or if you can do graphics you can print your own onto an inkjet/laser vinyl at home, top with clear UV spray paint

I did that with my tach and it works well enough but the real problem is to find an adhesive that doesn't eventually separate from the underlying face.
dry.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Nov 16 2017, 03:20 PM) *

As soon as you do anything but white, there's a $30 up charge. $150 is more than I want to pay for 3 stickers. That's why I think someone like 914 rubber could have this done professionally for a lot less.
Mueller
I can laser engrave anodized aluminum with my laser, could be used to make a new face.
porschetub
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 17 2017, 11:59 AM) *

As soon as you do anything but white, there's a $30 up charge. $150 is more than I want to pay for 3 stickers. That's why I think someone like 914 rubber could have this done professionally for a lot less.

Was keen till I saw the "colour tax" WTF.gif don't like white gauge faces to start with.
falcor75
Click to view attachment

What I want to do is to turn this....

Click to view attachment

into this. So I'll need some way of making/printing a black gauge face.

While I'm waiting for my gearbox to be rebuilt I'm replacing the stock fuel/e-brake gauge with a 911 oil temp and pressure gauge and moving the fuel gauge to the radio location together with the volt gauge. smile.gif
defianty
Mats, take a look at my thread here about how I approached this

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...10626&st=40

Any questions just drop me a pm.
falcor75
Thanks Stephen, I knew I'd read about the conversion somewhere but I could not find your thread when searching.
Mark Henry
Contact carbone, it will cost you a little more than his stock items, but he will custom make anything you want.

http://car-bone.pl/
gereed75
Mats. I did a combo gauge that is holding up fine. See This thread for details
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=258558&hl=

With your skills - piece of cake !!
jd74914
QUOTE(porschetub @ Nov 16 2017, 11:33 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 17 2017, 11:59 AM) *

Was keen till I saw the "colour tax" WTF.gif don't like white gauge faces to start with.

Wow, didn't realize that-Never actually selected any other colors. That's insane. wacko.gif
914forme
I am working on this as we speak. And Muller is on the correct path if your doing a custom gauge, and replacing the face. You use, metal or a plastic, and then you can also back fill the etching with OneShot or similar paints.

For assembled gauges that you don't want to replace the backing. You use a white vinyl with a 3M adhesive promoter, and then a laminated surface that has been printed. The printing is not cheap, thus the reason for the $30 up charge on the gauges. The dye costs are high. And the equipment to do the dye printing can also make you head spin.

So Mark, doing a set in green, not a problem, doing a set in any color you wish, really not an issue. Making them so they last for 70+ years, and bit harder.

You can also do these on a laser and paint them or use a transfer system, lots of ways to do this.

I have also done them silkscreened, and vinyl masked with an airbrush. Vinyl masking is actually pretty nice yet time consuming.

If your doing new gauges and all of the, are to be new, you can do things like backlighting the gauge, and then having the ticks transparent to allow the ticks to be seen. Can be done, but looks a bit modern for a 70s car.

Lots of ways to do this, some much cheaper than others.
mepstein
QUOTE(914forme @ Nov 17 2017, 11:28 AM) *

I am working on this as we speak. And Muller is on the correct path if your doing a custom gauge, and replacing the face. You use, metal or a plastic, and then you can also back fill the etching with OneShot or similar paints.

For assembled gauges that you don't want to replace the backing. You use a white vinyl with a 3M adhesive promoter, and then a laminated surface that has been printed. The printing is not cheap, thus the reason for the $30 up charge on the gauges. The dye costs are high. And the equipment to do the dye printing can also make you head spin.

So Mark, doing a set in green, not a problem, doing a set in any color you wish, really not an issue. Making them so they last for 70+ years, and bit harder.

You can also do these on a laser and paint them or use a transfer system, lots of ways to do this.

I have also done them silkscreened, and vinyl masked with an airbrush. Vinyl masking is actually pretty nice yet time consuming.

If your doing new gauges and all of the, are to be new, you can do things like backlighting the gauge, and then having the ticks transparent to allow the ticks to be seen. Can be done, but looks a bit modern for a 70s car.

Lots of ways to do this, some much cheaper than others.

I agree with everything you are saying. I wonder if white gauges would do a group buy and waive the $30/gauge.
burton73
This will work for someone.

I have been in the plastics Biz for 43 years. In that time we have embedded artwork in Lucite and Polyester materials. We have used different techniques over the years to achieve the look of inserts from Silk Screen printing to inkjet printing on different substrates. One of the best looks is a high-end ink jet printing on white gloss film made by Epson. One of the problems is Epson does not make this material any more so when I need it I buy it on the secondary market. It is all over the world. Easy to set up the artwork and then print out on this film and then cut it out. I have a high temperature double stick film that I put on my inserts that I make for my Patented Color Changing Thermometers.
I want nothing to do with making these films for gauges but it is very easy too do.

Today a low cost inkjet printer will do the job. I hate inkjets as they clog if not used all the time and you have to dick with them to get a clean print but when they are working well they are super clear. Sorry That I do not have a sample of how it looks because by printer is banding right now and I have spent to much time today trying to get it to print clear, I am getting married this weekend and I have lots to do.

This can look really good for this use. The inkjet ink bonds to the plastic sheet and will not flake off. It is hard to scratch as well

Bob B

Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment slap.gif
914forme
pray.gif PM sent
mepstein
Well that certainly explains a lot. If there is someone who is willing to do the graphics and share, it seems like this could be printed at home.
burton73
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 17 2017, 05:36 PM) *

Well that certainly explains a lot. If there is someone who is willing to do the graphics and share, it seems like this could be printed at home.

Yes. The hard part is getting the film. I just bouight 45 more 1
8.5 x 11 sheets on EBay at $.50 per sheet delivered. . I have had in the past had to buy it from Germany or France. Like I said it is all over the world. I guess it was not a big item for Epson.

Bob B
burton73
My inkjet is somewhat clogged today and not printing 100% so I could not print out any samples but I know this works well. The blacks are very dark as are the colors. It puts printing on paper to shame. Super crisp. Clear.

Bob B
cheer.gif
914forme
Yes Bob thank you for sharing this idea. I have another way of doing this on an inset, but you use pigmented ink, so not a standard inkjet. Printed on vinyl and then you laminate to cover it. That process shoals last 20-30 years. It is more equipment heavy than Bob's solution.

Mark sharing the files is not hard, I know I have hours in my files and they are still not done to my liking.

Also Epson now makes a replacement for the white film. I tis a clear film that lets you print white using one of their $8400 printers and the ink cartridges especially the whites are expensive.

Another way of doing this is just printing vinyl stencils and airbrushing them. Long process. But can be done at home still.
burton73
QUOTE(914forme @ Nov 17 2017, 06:39 PM) *

Yes Bob thank you for sharing this idea. I have another way of doing this on an inset, but you use pigmented ink, so not a standard inkjet. Printed on vinyl and then you laminate to cover it. That process shoals last 20-30 years. It is more equipment heavy than Bob's solution.

Mark sharing the files is not hard, I know I have hours in my files and they are still not done to my liking.

Also Epson now makes a replacement for the white film. I tis a clear film that lets you print white using one of their $8400 printers and the ink cartridges especially the whites are expensive.

Another way of doing this is just printing vinyl stencils and airbrushing them. Long process. But can be done at home still.

Sent you more pictures

Bob B
falcor75
I'l contact car-bone and see what they can offer.

I measured the Saab gauge today and it is as follows:

10 ohm: low reserve / empty
22 ohm: start of reserve
47 ohm: 50%, middle of range
100 ohm: 60%
150 ohm: 90%
172 ohm: Max on the scale
200 ohm: needle maxed

Then I did the same for the stock 914 gauge and got this:

10 ohm: 90%
22 ohm 70% (just below 3/4)
32 ohm 50%
47 ohm 30%
69 ohm Reserve (needle on the R)

So the scales are inverted from eachother, one way around this would be to get a VDO gauge and plunder the mechanism as defianty did. When I bought the gas gauge the seller asked if I wanted a Saab temp gauge aswell for the another $5 so I said sure, its not breaking the bank and he wanted to get rid of them both. So after realizing the scales were inverted I had a small stroke of genius.

I started testing the Saab temp gauge in the same way and got this result:

Click to view attachment

10 ohm: needle pegged on max
22 ohm: end of the red area
47 ohm: 50% middle of scale
100 ohm: start of the green area
200 ohm: 20% of the black area
270 ohm: start of the black area

So the temp gauge goes the same way as the stock gauge but with a different resolution. Dig up some old electronics books from university and taddaaa... if I connect a 100 ohm resistor in parallell with the sender I will get a pretty good match
in the range of the scale from 50% and below. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.