Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB: Harness for '73 OR a Chunk of Harness
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
bbrock
[I'm editing this WTB based on Mark's comment.]

If anyone has a good 1973 harness for a reasonable price, I'd be interested. Otherwise, I'm going to start working through my nasty main harness over the winter. I'd love to get a chunk or two of an already trashed harness to have a selection of color coded wires for splicing in what rodents have carried off over the years. One foot lengths should be more than enough. I think anything longer than that will warrant sourcing new wire.
mepstein
I would place a wtb for a harness. They are around from parted cars. I bought an early one in great shape for $75.
bbrock
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 17 2017, 01:06 PM) *

I would place a wtb for a harness. They are around from parted cars. I bought an early one in great shape for $75.

Oh wow! I had no idea they could be found that cheap. Yeah, for that money, it would probably be worth it. Mine isn't in horrible shape, but it will take some time to put it right. And I'll probably spend at least $40 doing it.
cary
From Matt's project.
I have a complete harness stripped out and each wire is rolled up and labeled.
It's not for sale, but if someone wants a length of a certain wire I'll have them available.

I need to get me one of those cool wire gauges Doug posted on a different thread.
pat9146
PM sent
bbrock
I decided to restore the harness I have and am well into it. Below is a list of wire colors, sizes, and lengths I'd like to get from salvage. Ignore the meters column. Those are rounded up for ordering by the meter. I can source new wire for most (but not all) of the 18g colors. But I don't know how well it will match factory so prefer salvage. I have yet to find a source for 0.05mm/20g striped wire.

I'm sending a pm to Cary but any other leads are most appreciated. Somebody must have an old rat's nest of a harness out there that is beyond hope.

Thanks.

Click to view attachment
theer
I have a chunk-o-harness from a '72. I'll post a picture a little later. It ain't pretty, but if you want it, it's yours for the cost of shipping.
bbrock
QUOTE(theer @ Nov 29 2017, 05:14 PM) *

I have a chunk-o-harness from a '72. I'll post a picture a little later. It ain't pretty, but if you want it, it's yours for the cost of shipping.

piratenanner.gif Sounds like it might be the ticket! Thanks.
theer
QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 29 2017, 07:16 PM) *

Ok - here it is. This is the back end on the harness, it had melted together inside the tunnel, so this i cut this out and spliced in a good one. Looks to be complete all the way back to the taillights.

Let me know if this will work.

Click to view attachment
bbrock
QUOTE(theer @ Nov 29 2017, 06:06 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Nov 29 2017, 07:16 PM) *

Ok - here it is. This is the back end on the harness, it had melted together inside the tunnel, so this i cut this out and spliced in a good one. Looks to be complete all the way back to the taillights.

Let me know if this will work.

Click to view attachment

Holy Moly! That's exactly the part that fried on mine and I'm trying to repair! I'll still need to source a few pieces of wire to repair some rodent damage on the headlight run, but the piece you have will take a major bite out of what I need. I'll pm you to work out details.

theer
Sweet! Now I finally know why I've held on to this for 30 years.
cary
Let me know what you need after you go over the section theer is sending you.
bbrock
QUOTE(cary @ Nov 29 2017, 09:22 PM) *

Will do! This dreaded part of my project seems to be coming together nicely. What a relief! beer.gif
bbrock

Sent you a PM Cary. Theer's wires took care of about half of what I needed. Thanks Tom! I updated my want list in the earlier post.
76-914
FWIW. you can add a black stripe to solid color wires by pulling the wire while holding the wire between your thumb and a black Marks-a-lot. Same with red. I haven't found a purple one yet so I add a black line to purple wire as a substitute. beerchug.gif
cary
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 7 2017, 01:06 PM) *

Sent you a PM Cary. Theer's wires took care of about half of what I needed. Thanks Tom! I updated my want list in the earlier post.

I'll get down the wire box in the am and see what we can do.
I have portions of Doug's harness to break down too.

Short day. Oldest sons 30th birthday. Whoa.
Time flys.
bbrock
QUOTE(76-914 @ Dec 7 2017, 03:13 PM) *

FWIW. you can add a black stripe to solid color wires by pulling the wire while holding the wire between your thumb and a black Marks-a-lot. Same with red. I haven't found a purple one yet so I add a black line to purple wire as a substitute. beerchug.gif

I wondered if that would work. Good to know that it does. thumb3d.gif I'm so anal, I'm even color matching the shrink wrap I'm putting over the splices and was going to try the marker to stripe them to match the wires as best I could. Then those purty wires will be buried under sleeving and harness wrap, but I'll always know how nice they look. screwy.gif

QUOTE(cary @ Dec 7 2017, 03:13 PM) *

I'll get down the wire box in the am and see what we can do.
I have portions of Doug's harness to break down too.

Short day. Oldest sons 30th birthday. Whoa.
Time flys.

Nice! A raised in Montana son, correct? Those that survive grow up tough! Have fun.
cary
Are you looking for lengthwise, unless noted ?
bbrock
QUOTE(cary @ Dec 8 2017, 11:34 AM) *

Are you looking for lengthwise, unless noted ?

Hoping to match both length and diameter. I think all of the striped wires (maybe except gray/brown) only show up in the harness in one diameter. Same for the blue. So for any of those, if you can match color and length, it should be good. If you find two sizes of the gray/brown, it would be the larger one.

Everything else, I can easily order new. But if anyone has a scrap of black/red from an ignition harness, that would save me having to go to a different supplier for just that one little scrap.

Thanks for checking on this Cary!
cary
Both these harnesses are early cars so no oil temp.

So green black will be spiral.
Green red is lengthwise. Cut off the 14 pin.
Red white is spiral. Cut off right above the white fan control wires.
Brown white is lengthwise. Cut off fan control section.
Black purple is spiral. Confirmed off 14 pin.

Grey Brown in lengthwise. Confirmed off 14 pin.
Had a bitch of a time finding Black red 16 spiral.
bbrock
QUOTE(cary @ Dec 8 2017, 12:21 PM) *

Ah! I misunderstood your question. I'm not going to quibble over lengthwise vs. spiral. I think my red/white is spiral, but all of those would work. You did find black/red 16 spiral? Did not expect that. beer.gif
cary
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 8 2017, 11:43 AM) *

Ah! I misunderstood your question. I'm not going to quibble over lengthwise vs. spiral. I think my red/white is spiral, but all of those would work. You did find black/red 16 spiral? Did not expect that. beer.gif

Yep on the black red.
bbrock
QUOTE(cary @ Dec 8 2017, 02:05 PM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 8 2017, 11:43 AM) *

Yep on the black red.

Nice! I'll PM you to work out the details.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.