Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ok took the plunge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
Since I have been disconnecting the rear bar at the last few Ax events. I decided last night to just take the damn thing off and save myself a few more pounds.

I'll probably just hang it up in the workshop next to the hundreds of other car parts I got.

What I don't got is stiffer rear springs. I have 150lb coil overs and put a spring rubber in each. Still want stiffer rear coilovers so..... Where is a good source for 200's or 250's coilovers.
nebreitling
interesting... i still like mine... but it's an eternal debate.

search summitracing for 2.5X10" springs.... they're QA1 brand, and they're CHEAP (like $36 a pop)

SirAndy
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ May 26 2005, 08:00 AM)
Where is a good source for 200's or 250's coilovers.

you're not making sense tho ...
if you had to disconnect the rear bar for the AX, stiffer rear springs will make it WORSE!

the rear bar basically adds more rear spring without making the ride harsher.
so if your car was too stiff in the rear (oversteer) and you removed the rear bar to make the rear softer, how are stiffer springs going to help ya? confused24.gif

got a sway bar in the front? if so, set it on more firm (towards the back of the car) and put the rear sway bar back on ...

if you go with 250lbs rear springs, you better got some big torsion bars and a good size sway bar up front!
wink.gif Andy
eeyore
This is a continuation from 'flat to floor'

It seems that where that thread left off is the car is pushing, yet lifting the inside rear wheel in turns.

Is (was) this the case?

Also, I think the swaybar Yes/No discussion will become much cloudier when Tarett's adjustable rear bars come out.
nebreitling
just to clarify in light of a PM recieved: the 2.5x10" springs are NOT a direct replacement -- you need a threaded collar conversion to run them...
Mueller
QUOTE (nebreitling @ May 26 2005, 11:05 AM)
just to clarify in light of a PM recieved: the 2.5x10" springs are NOT a direct replacement -- you need a threaded collar conversion to run them...

if one is "serious" about auto-x'n, they should already have those unless not allowed in thier class smile.gif

that reminds me, I need to order my coil-over kit from Coleman in the next day or 2....

Joe Ricard
Thanks Nathan. Yes I have coilovers now.
Yes this is a continued and related thread to "Flat to the floor"

The idea here is to reduce the push I get now which is speed dependent. Fast I go the more it pushes.
Car still stays pretty flat with the 22mm front bar set 1 inch from the end. to keep rear inside wheel on the ground I unhooked the rear bar. Much better results and can put power down without spinning inside rear wheel. I go faster now...... But only can go so fast before it pushes. Stiffer springs should help car rotate by just being stiffer in the rear. Sort of thinking about Progressive rate springs as it would follow rough surfaces better and get firm when compressed in a turn.
Joe Ricard
NOw if someone has a Quaiffe Differential they wanna sell. All bets are off and the bar goes back on. Come on "Z" I knows you had one before the WCC.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (Mueller @ May 26 2005, 10:13 AM)
QUOTE (nebreitling @ May 26 2005, 11:05 AM)
just to clarify in light of a PM recieved:  the 2.5x10" springs are NOT a direct replacement -- you need a threaded collar conversion to run them...

if one is "serious" about auto-x'n, they should already have those unless not allowed in thier class smile.gif

that reminds me, I need to order my coil-over kit from Coleman in the next day or 2....

Serious? Yea I'm serious. 9 events as of last weekend the 10th event will be next weekend.
Buddy asked "so if your wife said you can't go Autocrossing anymore what would you do"? Hell it's not an option I'll buy another set of tires and go twice as often without having to spend quality time with that ball and chain. beer.gif

Better to try and talk wife into racing the Mini so she gets hooked too. driving.gif driving-girl.gif
nebreitling
yup. basically, you don't like the dynamics of the rear-bar, so you're replacing it's equivalent spring-rate (about 40lbs IIRC) with springs. makes sense to me.

i just stepped up to 200#s (i run the rear bar), and am already thinking of going higher. and this is with stock torsion bars and a 22 sway. still only have the bar set half-way.
Joe Ricard
Dang now you got me on the fence Nathan. I was looking at 200's but if you want more spring and you still have the rear bar hooked up. I may want to go to the 250's. Yup that'll tighten it up.
J P Stein
21mm t-bars, 22mm tarett a/r-bar set full soft........300 lb rear springs seem just about right biggrin.gif
your results may vary.
nebreitling
may be a driver preference thing, joe... not that i know that much about 914 setup, but i'd be wary of recommending more than 200's....

also: the more spring you've got, then logically, the less your rear-bar is working.
Joe Ricard
Hey JP, If'n I had big Ass sticky tiars like you I would probably need big Ass springs like you. not to mention a 6cyl pusher.

Love your wheels by the way. Almost bought the narrower set of those till I got put in Credit card hack for 2 months. huh.gif
Joe Ricard
Camber is maxed out using Weltmiester camber plates.
Caster is all I can get keeping it even
Toe 1/16 out front zero toe rear
rear camber matches front
Ride hieght is about 4" @ the donuts control arms are level in front.

See my other post it has a map of the next event blocks are 15 ft. This is a very fast course.

DE ????????? they do that in SOLO II ??????????

I drive 150 miles average one way to the events about 85 MPH aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.