Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for second opinion about synchro rings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
draganc
Hi folks!

What's your take on following synchro rings?

Blue letters are "front" and green the "back"
side in reverse order.

Considering the gap being 12 o'clock, there
is almost no wear between 3-9 o'clock.

Thanks for your inputs!
dc

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tbrown4x4
OK. Just for shits and giggles, I'm going to throw this out there so Dr. Evil can pipe in with the correct answer.

Not being totally familiar with German syncros, I'm going to guess "A" is fairly worn, (possibly 2nd gear?). The rest look serviceable to me. I might move "A" to 4th or 5th, and move a nicer one to second, where it has to work harder.

If these were cheap enough, I would replace them all, but 3 of them look great to me as is.

Flame away, Gents! I put my ignorance on the table for all to see. smile.gif
McMark
agree.gif

A is the worst of the bunch and I wouldn't put it on 1-2-3 gears. But it would work fine for 4-5.

B-C-D are all a bit worn, but look like they've been replaced fairly recently. Compare them to the four completely unusable synchros I just pulled out of a box I'm rebuilding. Especially notice that yours are all still black, and these junkers are mostly grey. And the profound grooves worn in three of them.
John
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 21 2017, 05:02 AM) *

agree.gif

A is the worst of the bunch and I wouldn't put it on 1-2-3 gears. But it would work fine for 4-5.

B-C-D are all a bit worn, but look like they've been replaced fairly recently. Compare them to the four completely unusable synchros I just pulled out of a box I'm rebuilding. Especially notice that yours are all still black, and these junkers are mostly grey. And the profound grooves worn in three of them.

I agree that A is worn. However, in a pinch, one could flip it over and use the un-worn side toward the slider. If it were me, I would replace, but if it were me 20 years ago, I would have used it flipped on 4th or 5th. The others appear (and sometimes appearances can be deceiving) ok. It's hard to tell from pictures. You also need to consider the condition of the sliders and the teeth.

Good luck with it.
ChrisFoley
The gap on A also looks a little smaller. A brake band which has collapsed noticeably isn't worth re-using even if the friction surface looks acceptable.
get off my lawn
LOL.
draganc
Thank you for your inputs fellas!

beerchug.gif and Happy Thanksgiving!
Dr Evil
Fun post, and I agree with all the above. A could easily be used in 4 or 5 if flipped to allow the rough side to be the contact surface. Depending on your budget and time, no need to replace any of those if you verify they are not collapsing as mentioned.
914forme
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Nov 21 2017, 08:38 AM) *

The gap on A also looks a little smaller. A brake band which has collapsed noticeably isn't worth re-using even if the friction surface looks acceptable.

Chris, I think that is just the hand holding the bands. Stack them on a flat surface, take a straight edge line them all up, and see if any of them are smaller than the others. If not, go with what the others have said. If yes, then replace the collapsed one(s).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.