Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing Drive Shaft
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
simonjb
Hi,

The engine and transmission are out of my car and the brakes are removed also. I now want to remove the drive shafts. I have removed the inside bolts.

So now the question is how can I remove the 30mm nut? I've removed the cotter pin and tried using a breaker bar - but the wheel spins because there isn't much weight to the rear of the car.

Any ideas?
Specracer
E brake might help a tiny bit? Maybe take the wheel off, install 2 lug studs, and use a bar between them (the bar is then driven into the floor by the breaker bar)? But ultimately you will probably need an impact wrench.

Dave_Darling
Push down on the breaker bar, not up. If you pull up you can rotate the wheel more easily.

You will likely need to brace the hub against something. Thread in a couple of lug bolts, or other bolts with the same diameter and pitch, and use a really really big bar in between them to brace against the ground.

Impact is better--but you may need to brace the hub anyway!!

--DD
Olympic 914
used this to tighten them, will probably work to loosen them also.

Just a big hunk of angle iron with a couple holes drilled for the wheel studs.

Click to view attachment
motorvated
The big bar worked for me on one side, but I had to cut the nut off of the other side with a Dremmel tool as a last resort. Just be careful not to damage the threads.
simonjb
Thanks guys! I got them loose!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.