Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: EASY is closing, another shop bites the dust.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
EASY closing

Glad I was able to go a few times and grab a coffee mug!
Unobtanium-inc
Apparently the new owner will keep the Saturday events happening, and all the signage will remain, and I'm sure Jim will be there. You just won't be able to buy parts.
gereed75
Being an east coast guy, never had the pleasure. Looks very cool

By the way, spotted a 914-6 passenger footrest block in the last picture there on the linked site.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Nov 21 2017, 04:57 PM) *

Being an east coast guy, never had the pleasure. Looks very cool

By the way, spotted a 914-6 passenger footrest block in the last picture there on the linked site.

Last time I was there I got a shirt and a hat, they made me an honorary Easy Bay Greaser!
Steve
How sad.. I bought a lot of my six conversion stuff there.
ConeDodger
Known for a year. sad.gif
jeffdon
Really sad.
mmichalik
I've bought lots of parts here and they were always great to work with.

My only hope is that since Rod Emory is mainly focused on 356 builds, that he might still sell off any 914 stuff they have. Not sure if that will happen but, we can hope.
Cairo94507
How did I miss this? EASY was the go-to place for Porsche parts. Sad to see them go.
morgan_harwell
>>Last time I was there I got a shirt and a hat, they made me an honorary Easy Bay Greaser!

Great! Great! album from 1970! Tower of Power's 1st album - East Bay Grease. Great songs: Knock Yourself Out, Sparkling In The Sand, etc.

I first heard the album on a friend's 8-track tape around 1973. It was OOP and hard to find for a long time. I eventually bought a used copy of the vinyl in the 1980s for $75.

I did not know of those hats before, I wonder if I can find one today?
JRust
QUOTE(mmichalik @ Nov 21 2017, 08:40 PM) *

I've bought lots of parts here and they were always great to work with.

My only hope is that since Rod Emory is mainly focused on 356 builds, that he might still sell off any 914 stuff they have. Not sure if that will happen but, we can hope.

Rod will still sell 914 stuff for sure. Probably be from their Parts Obsolete location up here in Oregon though. His Dad Gary is still running that place I believe. I've gotten plenty of 914 parts from them over the years. They are Porsche outlaw royalty in my mind pray.gif
Larmo63
They probably invented Porsche Outlaw.
sbsix
I’ll miss those guys and my yearly trek to their shop. Happy retirement Jim.
MartyYeoman
Now, where's the raccoon that lives upstairs going to go? confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 21 2017, 06:08 PM) *

agree.gif

Same here, doesn't make it suck any less ...
sad.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(JRust @ Nov 22 2017, 06:31 AM) *

They are Porsche outlaw royalty in my mind pray.gif

Had the pleasure of meeting Rod back in October in front of one of their builds,

Original 1951 "LeMans Car" I believe.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Dr Evil
I used to live 2 blocks away from that place back in 96-97. My first car was a 914 and I was clueless. One day I am walking around the neighborhood and I see this shop. I thought I was hallucinating. I had a 71 and bought a 2.0 with side shift and all parts off of them and committed my first engine swap ever. There was that Asian dude there, Dennis I think was his name. Had a powder blue 911. He would let me dig through the bins for stuff. Glad I got to see this piece of history.
pt_700
i believe that was spencer. he works for partshaven now (or did last time i ran to him at laguna seca a few years ago).

i bought a replacement 1.7 and converted to side shift thanks to this place.

good times...
Dr Evil
QUOTE(pt_700 @ Nov 22 2017, 02:20 PM) *

i believe that was spencer. he works for partshaven now (or did last time i ran to him at laguna seca a few years ago).

i bought a replacement 1.7 and converted to side shift thanks to this place.

good times...

Yes! Spencer. Thanks. He was always a nice guy to deal with.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Nov 22 2017, 11:10 AM) *

How did I miss this? EASY was the go-to place for Porsche parts. Sad to see them go.

Michael,
I can’t speak for Sir Andy but Jim asked me not to tell anyone. I was there and there was a real estate agent inspecting. Don Weaver from EBS was there as well with Katie his wife and we are neighbors. Totally random as we didn’t know the other was going. I went because John called me to tell me he had a rear deck for a 944 in like new condition and that Jim said I could have it for $125. I just said, I’m on my way! The 944 is known for separating the metal trim on the leading edge of the window frame because the strut lifts are too strong. The window is available without the spoiler from Porsche for $2500. So you can see why I was on my way. I’m sure Eric Shea knew as he drove over and bought the hell out of calipers last year. Turned out Jim was selling off some stock as he was unsure how the whole thing would play out. Would he sell the building and have a big garage sale? Would someone buy the business and lease the biulding?
I used to be in there a lot and he knew I wanted that 944 hatch for my kids car.

Pelican has been sold as well as long as we’re talking about the end of an era. Though, my impression is that the bird will operate as if everything is the same.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 22 2017, 12:34 PM) *

Pelican has been sold as well ...

What? Wayne took a golden parachute? He's just a kid still...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Nov 22 2017, 05:44 PM) *

Or a golden shower. blink.gif Heard this from a reliable source...
Chris Pincetich
Now it makes sense....
I went there 2 weeks ago as final rustoration is taking place on my 914 before I sell it soon. Jim knew he had the interior part I wanted, and climbed over a bunch of stuff to get it...lots of cracking and crunching as he literally walked on top of other parts to get mine. I guess all that random plastic and vinyl ain't really worth the move...

I wonder if this next next Saturday, the first one in December, will be a special send-off gathering? Could be epic! I love donuts beerchug.gif

My 1.7 TIV came from EASY. It cost less than $500 and is still running strong 10 years later! aktion035.gif

I lived in Emeryville for a year and dropped by EASY almost as often as I ate at Rudy's Can't Fail Cafe. Fun times. EASY will be missed!! beerchug.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 22 2017, 09:43 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 21 2017, 06:08 PM) *

agree.gif

Same here, doesn't make it suck any less ...
sad.gif

Yeah, it was the worst kept secret, but sad nonetheless.
wes
Sad one of those places you looked forward to going to get needed parts at a fair price and left with not only the needed parts but the good feeling of friendship. I first bought a good set of 914 Fuchs for my first 914 many years back!
And of course must include the Easy special Click to view attachment
914_7T3
I just sourced some parts there yesterday. Official word is that they have until the end of the month to be out of the building and parts are on the way to the dump. If anyone needs anything or wants to save these parts now would be a good time to step up.
Olympic 914
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Feb 6 2018, 12:39 PM) *

I just sourced some parts there yesterday. Official word is that they have until the end of the month to be out of the building and parts are on the way to the dump. If anyone needs anything or wants to save these parts now would be a good time to step up.

Adam, Sounds like its right down your alley.

just far...
Sea Dragon 914
I was there on Saturday. It was nice to see a few old friends I haven't seen in a long time. Only 4 914s there including mine. Not a great showing for 914s but there were a lot of bathtubs and 911s of course. We did beat the 924/928 contingent in that I only saw 2 there.

Tried to find a passenger side rocker but none to be found. Forgot to ask if they had any instrument panels left. Mine's a bit rusty. sad.gif

If they are still open until the end of the month, I'll try to stop by again when I get back from Seattle.
mepstein
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Nov 22 2017, 03:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Nov 22 2017, 05:44 PM) *

Or a golden shower. blink.gif Heard this from a reliable source...

Yep, pelican is sold. I think he got out at the top of the market or just a little after.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Feb 6 2018, 12:57 PM) *

QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Feb 6 2018, 12:39 PM) *

Adam, Sounds like its right down your alley.

just far...

I was at EASY several years ago, crawled around for a couple of days, not much there that I didn't already have. Jim was smart about selling parts, he had a mantra that he taught me, which I live by daily.
"I'm not running a fucking museum, I'm selling Porsche parts, if you want it, I'll sell it."

I know far too many guys running their own museums, and not selling things. Jim sold his stuff, and kept legions of cars both running and looking cool. The only thing I razz him about is the car's he scrapped, like the 58 Carrera.
ConeDodger
Just another EASY story...

I went in to EASY a year or two back. My youngest has a 944 and the rear hatch has separated the metal trim from the glass. Jim and John described it as one of the most common 944 problems with power steering pump being #2 or #3. I asked if they had a good one and Jim said "I don't think I've seen one come through that didn't have the same problem he (Nicho) already had. A year later, I drop in again. John says "Hey, Jim hid something for you." He takes me back in the back and there is the holy 944 grail. A perfect rear hatch. They sell it to me for $100 bucks. That might not mean anything to you until I tell you that if you go to your Porsche dealer, you can buy a brand new one, without the spoiler, for $2500.00! Most places try to get a percentage of the new price and I'm sure it isn't <5%! Thanks for the deal and the memories John and Jim! Good luck in the future!
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 6 2018, 03:31 PM) *

Just another EASY story...

I went in to EASY a year or two back. My youngest has a 944 and the rear hatch has separated the metal trim from the glass. Jim and John described it as one of the most common 944 problems with power steering pump being #2 or #3. I asked if they had a good one and Jim said "I don't think I've seen one come through that didn't have the same problem he (Nicho) already had. A year later, I drop in again. John says "Hey, Jim hid something for you." He takes me back in the back and there is the holy 944 grail. A perfect rear hatch. They sell it to me for $100 bucks. That might not mean anything to you until I tell you that if you go to your Porsche dealer, you can buy a brand new one, without the spoiler, for $2500.00! Most places try to get a percentage of the new price and I'm sure it isn't <5%! Thanks for the deal and the memories John and Jim! Good luck in the future!

Jim was good about saving things for the right guy, years ago I was cobbling together my first roadster and Jim had an NOS windshield post receiver in his glass case, he sent it to me.
pete000
Is there any truth to this rumor Wayne sold Pelican? I see nothing published.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.