Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NOS Door Handle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
I got this in from England today. What makes it special? Back in the day you could order replacement locks coded to the rest of the locks in the car. This lock came with the master key and valet key. No re-keying required. These locks have not be available since the 1990's.
Socalandy
They are available thru Porsche again. aktion035.gif Porsche classics came to our show over a year ago and we gave them a good list of what we thought should be offered again.
76-914
Sierra Madre has them for ~ $345.00 or repos for ~ $85.00. Seems I read some unfavorable review on those repos awhile back. confused24.gif
mb911
Wow 345 ..that is not a cheap date
My passenger side exterior door handle seems to be breaking, as the movable part doesn't return to its flush position. Are these fixable, or better to just buy another one? I've seen reproduction parts for sale, and supposedly Porsche parts for sale at twice the price.
mepstein
QUOTE(98101 @ Nov 23 2017, 11:37 AM) *

My passenger side exterior door handle seems to be breaking, as the movable part doesn't return to its flush position. Are these fixable, or better to just buy another one? I've seen reproduction parts for sale, and supposedly Porsche parts for sale at twice the price.

Yes. Contact Ury /Paul, on this site. He will fix it.
Larmo63
And, don't force it or it will break. These locks and inner door mechanisms are tough, but need to be kept clean and well lubricated.

The door handles are easy to break, they weren't made of the best metal.
rhodyguy
Remove the handle and clean it up. Order a couple of plastic sliders and 2 other seal type items (per door) from 914rubber. Just replace and be done with it. Be careful. Don't force the nut you can see with the door open. You'll need to pull the door card and everything else on the offending side. There's small hex screw on the inside rear of the door also. A good penetrant would be used on both fasteners. Be gentle.
scallyk9
The door handles are like sacrificial pot metal and the reproductions I've purchased were even worse. My real problem turned out to be the inside latch mechanism gummed up with 40+ years of sludge and causing stress on the handle mechanism.
Jeff Hail
Special because the recycled nickels and pocket change to make them are from the 1980's instead of the 60's.
914Sixer
I can not recommend ANY of the reproductions no matter who makes them. The lock cores do not want to fit. The chrome is like it is painted on. Finger nails scratch them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.