Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cayenne motor swap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Has anyone managed to stuff a cayenne motor into a 914?
What transmission? What about fuel and ignition?
914forme
Isn't that what Marty over at MSDS is doing confused24.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 23 2017, 06:15 PM) *

Haven't done it but if your writing the check...
rick 918-S
QUOTE(914forme @ Nov 23 2017, 07:17 PM) *

Isn't that what Marty over at MSDS is doing confused24.gif

Oh Ya. Marty is doing one.
r_towle
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 23 2017, 08:18 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Nov 23 2017, 06:15 PM) *

Haven't done it but if your writing the check...

I am
914Sixer
V-6 or V-8?
Mark Henry
It's a tall engine would it fit?
mepstein
The MSDS build is crazy. In an awesome way.

Cayenne V8 TT mated to an inverted 996 GT2 Transaxle, Sequential 6 speed shifter, Centerlock hubs, etc.
rick 918-S
I haven't checked out Marty's car since he first announced the build. Top shelf at expected. beerchug.gif
Andyrew
The 6 is just a VR6. Mueller was going to do it on his old car and I think it would work. Just a brick of an engine (heavy) for the power outlet. However if you wanted to put a monster turbo on it and go for 700 hp thats not a bad choice.
Krieger
How much does the Cayenne motor weigh?
GeorgeRud
I wonder if the V6 would be a candidate for a turbo setup? The idea of not having to impinge on the legroom of the 914 would be nice for taller drivers. The need to cut the firewall to fit a compressor has been the reason my -6 conversion doesn’t have AC (yet).
Mueller
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 24 2017, 07:41 AM) *

The 6 is just a VR6. Mueller was going to do it on his old car and I think it would work. Just a brick of an engine (heavy) for the power outlet. However if you wanted to put a monster turbo on it and go for 700 hp thats not a bad choice.

The better Porsche V6 would be from the Macan, it is a true 90° V6, basically 2 cylinders removed from the Cayenne V8.

BradR thinks many wreckers would take as low as $1500 for one since there is no demand.

George, the Macan V6 comes from the factory twin turbo'd!
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Krieger @ Nov 24 2017, 09:05 AM) *

How much does the Cayenne motor weigh?

Haven't weighed the 4.5L prior to the hot rod build ( now 5.0L ) , the stock weight could easily be found online. Our engine is now void of ; the OE lower oil pan ( would hang approx 9" below center of crank ), its internal dry-sump ( the oe location is in the wet oil pan ) , starter motor, vvt system, iron exhaust manifolds , turbos and a bunch of emission gadgets. Now closer in weight to the Ruf RGT alum V8 at 396 lbs.
I've calculated that the new drivetrain will have approx 2" clearence to the oe 914 firewall ( lower edge), no interior intrusion, and excellent cv joint / axel geometry. The alum engine adapter-to-trans adapter plate is only .750" in thickness , and everything hangs on Wevo HD mounts.
Engine is now able to sit lower in the 914 (with a custom dry sump pan ) for better cg, and ground clearence equal to (or better) than a flat 6.
Transaxle weighs 175 lbs. dry.
Not familiar with the Cayenne v6 specs ¡
Marty
Mueller
Pretty sure I read it is "modular" and shares some components of the V8

It just screams for ITB's if keeping it N/A smile.gif

Click to view attachment
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 24 2017, 10:05 AM) *

Pretty sure I read it is "modular" and shares some components of the V8

It just screams for ITB's if keeping it N/A smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Add this Pan to the bottom of the main-bearing girdle; that's where you will lose your ground clearence; OR jack the engine way up
Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
Marty did you make a wide sump or did you go with an external tank?
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 24 2017, 01:47 PM) *

Marty did you make a wide sump or did you go with an external tank?

Mark, the tank is a remote ARE dry sump tank, the new pan is custom billet + cnc : about 3" in depth. You can just see a Red #12 Cap plug sticking out of the side (from the pan ) in one of the pictures in this thread....turbo oil return. External belt- drive dry sump pump is on the lower Right side of the engine.
Marty
GeorgeRud
Beautiful work, Marty! Looking forward to seeing the completed project.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Nov 24 2017, 02:59 PM) *

Beautiful work, Marty! Looking forward to seeing the completed project.

Thank you George , I will deliver an awesome vehicle built to everyones expectations driving.gif
Marty
Andyrew
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 24 2017, 09:45 AM) *

The better Porsche V6 would be from the Macan, it is a true 90° V6, basically 2 cylinders removed from the Cayenne V8.

BradR thinks many wreckers would take as low as $1500 for one since there is no demand.

Hmm, Did he comment on the bolt pattern? I would be curious to see what it would take to bolt it to a manual trani. Probably custom flywheel required. Are they available in a manual? I mean a PDK would be a blast smile.gif

As with most modern engines, electronics would probably be the biggest issue....
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 24 2017, 04:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 24 2017, 09:45 AM) *

Hmm, Did he comment on the bolt pattern? I would be curious to see what it would take to bolt it to a manual trani. Probably custom flywheel required. Are they available in a manual? I mean a PDK would be a blast smile.gif

As with most modern engines, electronics would probably be the biggest issue....

Here is the trans bolt pattern on the Cayenne ...your starting point for the bellhousing adapter. Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
That starter looks like a bitch to replace...
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Nov 24 2017, 05:57 PM) *

That starter looks like a bitch to replace...

Absolutely correct Mike,
...and pull the entire intake system to get to it ! Can you imagine the heat soak on that starter living buried down there? Our build moves the starter to a more conventional area >>back to the bellhousing smile.gif
Andyrew
Isnt it like 15 book hours to replace the starter in one of those? Like $3k at a dealer?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 24 2017, 11:03 PM) *

Isnt it like 15 book hours to replace the starter in one of those? Like $3k at a dealer?

Ya and as i understand there is a coolant leak issue that causes the starters to fry.
Mark Henry
996 starter replacement isn't a whole lot better rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.