Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sway bars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gkk
I have a 74 2.0 without bars and planning an install. I would appreciate product advice. Car will not be tracked.
ConeDodger
Stock is perfectly adequate if you can find one in the classifieds and your intention is street driving. More aggressive intentions and you might consider the Tarret bar.

http://www.tarett.com/
GeorgeRud
There’s a fellow on the Porsche 914 Parts for Sale Facebook page selling a stock front bar if you can find it. I’ll post it if I can, but it looks like it’s been deleted. There is a rear bar listed however.
bdstone914
I have a restored front stock 15mm bar. Has replated and powder coated parts. New stainless steel bolts and related hardware. Asking $400 plus shipping. Can get a Canadian shipping quote if you are interested. I just need to get the drop link bushings to complete it. I am finding these harder to find as time goes on.
Bruce
mepstein
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Nov 25 2017, 09:28 AM) *

I have a restored front stock 15mm bar. Has replated and powder coated parts. New stainless steel bolts and related hardware. Asking $400 plus shipping. Can get a Canadian shipping quote if you are interested. I just need to get the drop link bushings to complete it. I am finding these harder to find as time goes on.
Bruce

Aren’t the drop link bushings now made by 914rubber
defianty
I've been in a couple of 914 with 19mm Weltmeister sway bars and was very impressed with the handling performance. So much so that I bought the same for my car - however I'm yet to install it.
defianty
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 25 2017, 02:32 PM) *

They are, and cheap too.
bdstone914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 25 2017, 08:32 AM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Nov 25 2017, 09:28 AM) *

Bruce

Yes and I am ordering them.
Mark Henry
Stock front and rear make a huge difference on a street car. I wouldn't get much bigger than the welt 19mm for a stock street car. Many don't like a rear bar with the heavier front bars.
PlaysWithCars
I ran my '74 w/o bars, w/ factory front & rear bar and w/ 19mm front & stock rear. The biggest improvement was from none --> factory bars. The 19mm front made it better for autocrossing w/ little to no down side.

Definitely add bars. Stock is fine for canyon carving. 19mm is incrementally better unless you're in a situation where adjustability is important.
Dave_Darling
The best would be Smart Racing or whomever is making those bars now. They use bearings to mount the bars to the body, not bushings; the arms are splined to the bar, they have robust hardware to hold everything together, and at least some of them have blade-style arms that allow for a lot of adjustment with little fear of things slipping.

Tarrett would also be good, but I believe they don't use bearings nor do they have blade-type arms.

Weltmeister is the least expensive option. At least one member blames the WM hardware for causing a wreck on track of his 914-6; it may be a bit under-sized for high stress applications. The sliding adjustment is less secure than the rotating blade style or the bolt-through-a-hole type of adjustment. That said, I have a WM front bar on my car and haven't had any troubles with it.

The stock bars are effective, and can be even less expensive than the WM bars, depending on what the seller wants for their parts. They offer no adjustment, but that also means you can't mis-adjust them. They are a significant improvement from having no bar.

--DD
rhodyguy
For adjustability, not as fancy as a Tarret, look for an H&H setup. Prob priced better.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.