Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What am I getting myself into?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mr. M
First time posting here, hopefully I'm in the right section. I have a 1974 2.0 liter sitting around. Do you guys think this car is completely restorable or am I better off making it into a parts car? Any info on what panel I need to buy, to repair the rusted areas, would be extremely helpful! Thanks in advance for any comments.

The first two pictures are of the passenger side suspension mounting point.
The next three are of the drivers side door area.
The picture after that is of the passenger side rot.
Last picture is of the battery tray area---seems to be in ok condition.
Krieger
Unless you really , really love cutting, fitting and welding. When you get into it it is always worse. That looks like a parts car.
Chris914n6
Since there is the possibility it's a parts car anyways, I'd strip the chassis. Put all the good parts in 1 pile (or shelves), put all the ok parts in a second pile, and all the crap in a third. Price out replacement cost for the 2nd & 3rd piles. Then sand blast the chassis at all rusty or rust likely areas and price out replacement sheet metal. At this point you have a very good idea of what you're getting into.

If you're looking at $3-4000 as a minimum then a better car might be a better deal, just sell off the extra good parts.
Larmo63
That chassis looks DONE!!!!!

Mike Bellis
Usually when the rust hits the driver door jam the car is done. This spot usually rusts last. That means the car is full of rust and the repair for all the metal work needed far exceeds the cars value.
914Sixer
Parts car
EdwardBlume
I had rust coming through Dads car from inside the sail panel. You could also drop a volleyball through the HH. In 1997 dollars, I spent 7K to repair it. I think you're in tough condition unless you can cut, weld and paint.

Good luck!
porschetub
oh dear don't go any further please only the brave and some of the best welders I have seen on here have gone where its nothing but insane but I admire them all.
JeffBowlsby
A 74 2.0L can be a fantastic 914. Its only original once....someday that car in that condition will be very valuable but you will need the vision. Think of how many 914s have already perished. This 914 can be saved but it take dedication and the right person who has the time/skills/money.
mb911
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Nov 27 2017, 12:45 AM) *

A 74 2.0L can be a fantastic 914. Its only original once....someday that car in that condition will be very valuable but you will need the vision. Think of how many 914s have already perished. This 914 can be saved but it take dedication and the right person who has the time/skills/money.

agree.gif

Mine was that bad .. I do feel if we keep cutting them into parts cars there will be no cars left.. All the parts are available.. If you are in a rush the car is not for you.. If you have time and the willingness to read and learn you can fix it.
Front yard mechanic
Suspension ears are a beotch welder.gif
SirAndy
And since nobody has mentioned it yet, check to see if there is any signs of orange paint on your white '74, especially around the rockers and valences.

Unless that is a light blue, in which case i agree, it's a parts car.
shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.