Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jay Leno’s Garage 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Nov 27 2017, 08:45 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 27 2017, 05:40 PM) *

Funny how even after all this time guys either love them or hate them....very little middle ground.

Some guys have class and some don't. I think we know which is which. biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif idea.gif huh.gif mad.gif
Montreal914
Great video, beautiful car, amazing sound. smilie_pokal.gif

Enjoyed it on the big screen, loud driving.gif
mtn flyr
So cool! smilie_pokal.gif
Cal
Great video....great car!
Eric & Hans..
Great for sharing our passion..
Alan/914
oldschool
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 27 2017, 04:05 PM) *

Do you get any swag for being on the show?

yup....I can make that happen.
thomasotten
Super!
SKL1
Congrats Eric! Great video- now have to figure out a way to get in Big Dog Garage myself...
roadster fan
I was searching for something else on Youtube and came across this earlier about 16 minutes after it was uploaded.

Cool episode, represented the 914 very well.

Congrats Eric Shea!
914_7T3
Way to represent and congratulations on a great build. smilie_pokal.gif

Now Jay's viewers know that the "914 is here to stay!"

Dion
That was way cool !! Great work. Car looks great as usual Eric.
Jay did seem to truly enjoy it. Heheh, Talk about street cred.
Eric_Shea
Gained another signature on the dash. biggrin.gif

Thanks again for all the kind words gang. Seriously, none of this ever could have happened without everyone here at 914World.

Click to view attachment
Krieger
Congratulations Eric! You did a fantastic job on camera! Very well done video segment and your car sounds freaking awesome! smilie_pokal.gif
davehg
Car looked at sounded great and I daresay you were a much better ambassador for the model! Nice to see the 914-6 getting love on the show.
gulf908
thanks for posting the link
a great promo for the 914 cause and the 914 world site
however if I hear the 'stepchild' reference again I will scream !
If Porsche had control of the project instead of VW when they didnt know whether they were Beetles or Golfs,it would have been a totally different story for the 914-6.
I'll send the link to the guys here in Sydney

Eric - which seats do you have ?
are the fittings compatible with the stock rails or is there some 'creative 'work to get them to fit in my May '70 -6 ?

cheers
Dennis smile.gif
gulf908
heres another one from DW tv in Germany
Christoph has driven a number of Porsches from VW Autostadt in Wolfsburg and has always given a complimentary opinion
also nice to see the -6 driven on open country roads that enhance the driving experience
enjoy !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBcT0rpH9_o

cheers
Dennis smile.gif
bulitt
Nice shirt!..... laugh.gif
Shadowfax
Great episode. Way to go, Eric! aktion035.gif
GeorgeRud
Well, we have to remember that the 914 really was the bastard stepchild of VW and Porsche. If Heinz Nordhoff hadn’t died and his successor had allowed Porsche to purchase the chassis for the 914-6 at a good price so it would have made financial sense for them (instead of costing about the same as a 911 shell), I think a lot more development on the -6s would have continued. Luckily, others (like Eric) have taken up the challenge and now there are many great ‘continuation’ cars out there. A 914-6 with increased power is a marvelous car to drive.
krazykonrad
That is one nice 914! Who is Hans Lapine? Does he work with you?

Konrad
maf914
Nathan and Randy, Thanks for posting.

Way to go Eric! Nice car.
flippa
Nice job Eric sunglasses.gif
lagunero
N A R P !!

Very nice Eric.
GeorgeRud
Hans Lapine is the son of Anatole Lapine, Porsche’s chief designer for many years.
rick 918-S
Way to represent E. aktion035.gif driving.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(cuddyk @ Nov 27 2017, 05:25 PM) *

Is it just me...or does Jay seem like a comedian with cars who needs to get coffee?smile.gif

I've thought this several times.
Seinfeld and Leno have car related done collaborations before for superbowl commercials.

I personally think that would be a great CiCGC.

Zach
PanelBilly
Just watched the show. Eric, you did a great job
Really cool Eric. Great interview, awsome car.
Cody914
What a great interview Eric, you represented us 914 nuts well!

Congratulations on the opportunity too, there is no better way to show off all the hard work you put into that incredible car.
badm
Eric.

Really nice job on the car, Love the sound of a six over 5500 RPM. Im sad you did not have the opportunity to showcase all the other hard work that went in to your car.
Yours was one of my favorite builds to watch. Badm
OU8AVW
Bravo Eric!
Freezin 914
Just watched the video, excellent! Not sure how the rest of you feel. I feel as though I bleed Porsche brand as mush as anyone, but actually care very little what others think about these cars we love! I have mine because I love it! Not to impress anyone. I would put most of us 914 guys against a lot of "Porsche " folks when it comes to passion, knowledge and love for the brand! I am not trying to knock anyone, just the same old stuff about not a true Porsche etc....ok, enough of my sermon.
Cheers to you Eric! You make us all proud to be part of this community! Keep up the great work! I am proud to have you wave the 914 banner!!!!! You are a great ambassador to car culture, the Porsche community, 914 owners, and of course 914 world! beerchug.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Larmo63
Wow, well said, and...........

agree.gif
raynekat
Gotta love the head on shots of the car at speed.
Just looks so good from that aspect.
Great show and really shows how wrong they were about 914 all those years ago.... wink.gif
BuddyV
Finally!
piratenanner.gif
rktmn247
agree.gif Great job Eric!
IronHillRestorations
Long over due, and I don't know of a better car and person to carry the banner for the 914, than Sir Eric of Stoppage, and the screamin' yellow demon!
sb914
Got a email from pca.has episode with Eric.

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(sb914 @ Nov 29 2017, 05:50 AM) *
Got a email from pca.has episode with Eric

They'll probably try to shut us down again since Eric mentioned 914world.com ...
dry.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 29 2017, 03:10 PM) *

QUOTE(sb914 @ Nov 29 2017, 05:50 AM) *
Got a email from pca.has episode with Eric

They'll probably try to shut us down again since Eric mentioned 914world.com ...
dry.gif

blink.gif Geez! STFU Erc! poke.gif
Han Solo
Just watched and congrats to Eric. He does as well on camera in the Leno show as he does in his brake re-build videos biggrin.gif which gave me the fortitude to do mine on the Hairy Ant Nest autocross car.

Oddly, I'm now deep into a '85 928S restore and did you notice the car in the Anatole Lapine still shot? The Shark...

Cheers gentlemen!

jt914
Awesome car, Eric Shea. I really enjoyed this episode.
PanelBilly
The video is the top story in this week's PCA electronic newsletter.
Larmo63
Secret Santa gift for Eric........ santa_smiley.gif

Click to view attachment
TJB/914
Congratulations Eric. first.gif
We are so proud of you and your beautiful tribute 914-6 GT biggrin.gif
When you opened up the rear trunk you displayed your 914-6 tool kit and the rear fog light made my heart go pitter-patter. flag.gif
Wow, what a wonderful presentation. wub.gif
You made my bucket list of joy when we toured the tunnel of trees on M-119 during the Porsche parade 2013.. Wonderful memories. pray.gif
Tom
t collins
I thoroughly enjoyed the video, great job Eric!
Morph914
Congrats Eric! Job well done. And I love the music the car makes under load... priceless!

Cheers,
John
Lucky9146
Totally enjoyed every minute of the video!
Totally enjoyed every minute of the video again!!!
I am sending it to all the people I know who do not "get" what a 914-6 really is and having a ball doing it.
Great job Eric and nice looking/ sounding car smilie_pokal.gif
Think I may watch it again biggrin.gif
white914.jpg
mountainroads
First of all, outstanding video. I've already watched it through several times, and like many other posters especially enjoyed the driving footage. It's very nice to see our 914s getting some top-shelf exposure. I'm also a huge fan of Eric/PMB, having used his services and spoken with him several times. Great guy, wealth of knowledge, and always friendly and helpful. A huge resource to our community.

I hesitate to post the following because I don't want to come across as either a jerk/wet-blanket or jerk/know-it-all, because I'm generally not and I certainly don't claim to be a 914 scholar. However, the disease that all of us here are afflicted with has provided me with a fair bit of 914 familiarity. So, does anyone else cringe when factual inaccuracies slip into an otherwise excellent production, especially coming from folks like Jay or Hans?

1) "The 916 came with a 2.4 "S" motor." Later 916s came with the 2.7 RS engine, so they came with either.

2) "It probably cost almost as much to make a 912 as it did a 911." Perhaps I'm splitting hairs on this one. While it's true the body shell cost would be the same, many of the mechanical components were different, most notably the engine. Although manufacturing cost differences might be narrower, the 911 was a significantly more expensive car to *buy*. Again, largely due to the engine. So it's misleading to suggest the 912 wasn't still a cheaper alternative to a 911 when it came to sales.

3) "All regular 914s came with 5-speeds". A small number (2, I think) of 914/6s were delivered with Sportomatics. Uncertain if any four bangers had the Sporto (shudder), beyond perhaps a prototype or test mule.

Go ahead and flame me for being a grumpy old nit-picker if you want. Overall, a great video. I just don't like to see untruths be perpetuated in a supposedly authoritative forum when a little editorial research would correct that. My .02 and I'm putting down the coffee, now.

- MR
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 29 2017, 04:42 PM) *

Secret Santa gift for Eric........ santa_smiley.gif

Click to view attachment

80 degrees in LA with harnesses and special international sign for rolling down windows. It's a car show not a fashion show. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.