Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Arne’s post-teener projects
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
arne
I tried, folks, really I did. Since I sold the yellow 2.0 I’ve looked into 3 different 914s. None were good enough that I felt I could refresh them and still break even later. So I had to look at other options.

“And now for something completely different.”

In fact, it doesn’t get much different, really. Japanese. 50+ years old. Not what anyone would consider as “sporty” in any normal sense of the word. But I think it’ll be a pretty cool project, all the same.

1964 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser. All original, with a rare factory PTO winch. I’ve got a lot of new stuff to learn, and I don’t think I can learn it here. It’s been a fun time, 914world is great!

Wish me luck!

Click to view attachment
Mueller
No complaints from this guy!

That should be fun, surprised you actually found one that was affordable, I think most get snatched up by ICON for their $100K builds.

Feel free to keep us posted on the progress.
KELTY360
Fits in with the trophies on the wall.

I guess you could call it a NARP; hell, it's not even a fake one.
bandjoey
Our friend Rust hangs out on Cruisers too. Keep us posted.
G e o r g e
Wish I still had mine.
914_7T3
Super Cool and Welcome to FJ Cruiser World!

Wait wrong website. confused24.gif

Please post a link so we can follow your progress and good luck with it.
JRust
There is a place in Lincoln city that specializes in them. Always see 2 or 3 by the road up there. Might be worth looking into as a resource. Congrats on the Cruiser. They are killer rigs
draperjojo
Always wanted to go through an old FJ, I've restored several old jeeps tho. Right now a sandblasted 914 takes up one bay in my garage, and this project is taking up another bay. I swear I'll quit doing cars and just go pick up an old Shovelhead next time I feel the need to do a project... Good luck with your FJ, and keep posting progress pics!
arne
Thanks, folks. I’ll stop by once in a while, just to visit. There are a few forums that cater to old FJs, the most active seems to be IH8MUD, so that’s where I plan to post the build thread. The initial consensus there seems to be that I found a really good example, with a lot of rare original parts. Might be a bit of a challenge to keep it as original as I plan, but that’s part of the fun for me.

Here’s a parting pic or two.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
JOEPROPER
No complaints here. I had a '72 a few years back that started out just like that one. Same color too. That's a fun project and will be worth something when complete. smoke.gif
arne
Forgot the link to the build thread:

Older than dirt - refreshing a ‘64 FJ40
arne
Click to view attachment

Oh wait, I’ve used that meme here before. Oops!

In any case, the Land Cruiser started up and ran today, first time in at least 10 years, probably 15. Slow progress, this is definitely going to take longer than the ‘teener.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
JOEPROPER
Love it. I had a '72 FJ40 and loved it. Good luck.
arne
Moved under its own power earlier this week. Not far, got no cooling system hooked up yet. But soon should move into real test drive mode.

Click to view attachment
JRust
Thats great Arne! Really solid FJ you found. Are you down the same path & getting it painted?
arne
Popped in today to check on a couple of other builds I have been watching, thought I'd post an update while I'm here.

QUOTE(JRust @ Feb 4 2018, 07:55 PM) *
Are you down the same path & getting it painted?

Yeah, probably. Trying to get together with my painter to do some final planning. May need to learn to weld using a modern wire welder. A little rust and a whole lot of PO inflicted extra holes all over the rig. If I paint it, will probably be a color change to the period correct blue for '64. Jury still out on that, however.

Mechanically it's almost done. I need to replace the clutch, and there may be something worn in the front axle. But beyond that, it's doing fine. Registered (Oregon Special Interest) and insured, I'm driving it a bit to verify that I've got most of the bugs out of it.

Click to view attachment
KELTY360
Love the pink seat cover! biggrin.gif
arne
Story of my progress...

Make it run and drive, disassemble it, make it run and drive again, disassemble it, repeat several times.

I'm in disassembled mode now...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
Looks like your FJ project is a lot more involved than the 914 and you will soon be ready for paint. That will be a big turning point so Congrats on your progress!

beerchug.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(arne @ Aug 29 2018, 09:10 PM) *

That's so awesome, gorgeous color too!

smilie_pokal.gif

Better than 50/50 chance that you complete two projects before I finish one!
arne
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Aug 29 2018, 09:23 PM) *

Better than 50/50 chance that you complete two projects before I finish one!

Not sure which of us that says more about... drunk.gif
porschetub
Wonderful vehicle,built like a panzer tank and went for ever,fond memories driving one of these in the late 90's,these were a popular government vehicle in their time in my country,used for all manner of uses ,we had an option called the Arcarna body option which was anything from a troop carrier multi seat rear body on a cab on only to a set up to long metal rear wellside.
Very popular in Australia as a people carrier for mining workers in the upper west coast and others area's.
The one I used had a later motor I think 4.1 litre,drunk fuel @ an amazing rate and was a vehicle that you never had control of because it had some sort of early autopilot av-943.gif av-943.gif ,finally died towing a large commercial boat on a even larger trailer in a remote area cost a bunch of $$$ to get it to extracted to the nearest town.
Don't know what happened to it after this confused24.gif .
tomeric914
Similar story here, drove an '80 FJ40 in the early '90s which was an absolute beast. Built 100 times better than a Jeep. Went into, through and out of stuff that would stop other vehicles cold. Had this auxiliary rear seat heater which was AWESOME for the -30 deg F mornings in central and western NY.

I can't think of a single time that it got stuck. @Cupomeat was with me on a maiden voyage through a farmers back field (I think it was Mr. Gregory's) where we fell through a sheet of ice into a muddy bog and just kept going.
napasteve
Fantastic work Arne.
Cupomeat
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Aug 30 2018, 10:29 AM) *

Similar story here, drove an '80 FJ40 in the early '90s which was an absolute beast. Built 100 times better than a Jeep. Went into, through and out of stuff that would stop other vehicles cold. Had this auxiliary rear seat heater which was AWESOME for the -30 deg F mornings in central and western NY.

I can't think of a single time that it got stuck. @Cupomeat was with me on a maiden voyage through a farmers back field (I think it was Mr. Gregory's) where we fell through a sheet of ice into a muddy bog and just kept going.

So true! @tomeric914 , Besides a bunch of minor issues like Radiator holes, that was a beast I never thought would be stuck...

Great Project Arne! Love the color AND there is something to be said for cars that come all apart with bolts, etc... Looks like fun!
Ferg
Really nice drooley.gif
arne
10.5 months into it. I'm calling it essentially complete. Waiting on a last firewall grommet, and a bit of cleaning and touchup. Everything works as it should—lights, brakes, horns, gauges, wipers, all of it.

Going to be out of town for a few days next week, will do some more driving to make sure there are no new surprises, and then lay plans to sell it.

Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(arne @ Oct 18 2018, 08:19 PM) *

10.5 months into it. I'm calling it essentially complete. Waiting on a last firewall grommet, and a bit of cleaning and touchup. Everything works as it should—lights, brakes, horns, gauges, wipers, all of it.

Going to be out of town for a few days next week, will do some more driving to make sure there are no new surprises, and then lay plans to sell it.

Click to view attachment

What a cool looking FJ. Nice work!!
championgt1
All kinds of awesome!!
mbseto
Gorgeous.
mepstein
I love it. Great vision. smilie_pokal.gif
914_7T3
That’s 2x you’ve completed your project before me.

first.gif

Congratulations on another great build!

beerchug.gif
KELTY360
Schweeeet!

Should be an easy sale.
arne
Probably auction it on BaT.
arne
Click to view attachment
burton73
Bravo on the great work.

It looks really nice.
Bob B
Larmo63
Dang, that thing is eye candy. Great job!!! (again)

What is something like that worth? wub.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(arne @ Nov 2 2018, 04:57 PM) *

I also mfg. these 6 into 1 tuned headers for the vintage fj40 if your cast iron manifold is in need of replacement welder.gif
Get the 914World discount as well smile.gif
Click to view attachment
914_7T3
@Arne Here is a nice ‘68 available in the LA area!

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/d...6725880805.html

mepstein
Arne - your color choice turns a cool car into a show stopper. Great job!
arne
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Nov 2 2018, 04:48 PM) *

What is something like that worth? wub.gif

Hard to say for certain, which is part of why I plan to sell at auction. In general, early rigs are popular, and the factory soft top models are rare. The factory winch is a plus as well. Best guess is $30k+, probably mid-to-upper 30s.

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Nov 2 2018, 05:23 PM) *

I also mfg. these 6 into 1 tuned headers for the vintage fj40 if your cast iron manifold is in need of replacement welder.gif
Get the 914World discount as well smile.gif

I didn't need those for this one, but that looks nice. Are you advertising them anywhere in the LC community?

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Nov 2 2018, 08:32 PM) *

@Arne Here is a nice ‘68 available in the LA area!

Like the 914 before it, no telling when/if I'd do another one. If I did, I'd certainly start with a more needy example than that one!

QUOTE(mepstein @ Nov 3 2018, 12:54 AM) *

Arne - your color choice turns a cool car into a show stopper. Great job!

Yes, the color is a big part of the attractiveness. It IS a correct period Toyota color, but one that is rarely seen. It is a big part of what makes this rig stand out from all the beige Land Cruisers of the world.
arne
Auction on Bring-a-Trailer is now live.

1964 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 Soft Top

Click to view attachment
orangecrate
Nice job!!! But now it's too purty to wheel.
porschetub
Worth good money as in reality it looks like its 70% new ,don't undervalve it unless you need the $$$$.
GLWTS beerchug.gif
JRust
That turned out GREAT Arnie! Well done man it will pull top dollar I'm thinking.
arne
QUOTE(orangecrate @ Nov 23 2018, 07:59 PM) *

Nice job!!! But now it's too purty to wheel.
I hope not, I'd like to think it sees at least a little gentle use in the future.

QUOTE(porschetub @ Nov 23 2018, 08:47 PM) *

Worth good money as in reality it looks like its 70% new ,don't undervalve it unless you need the $$$$.
GLWTS beerchug.gif
Well, just like the 914 before it, I'll need to sell it before I can move on to something new. But I'm not going to sell it for a big loss, that's what reserves are for.

QUOTE(JRust @ Nov 24 2018, 09:27 AM) *

That turned out GREAT Arnie! Well done man it will pull top dollar I'm thinking.
Trying not to get my expectations too high, but I think it will do well also, Jamie.
arne
Auction over, and it is sold (pending payment, of course). I feel I did OK. Thought it might have pulled a bit more than it did, but I had carefully set the reserve at a price I could live with, and it cleared it, so it's all fine.

Search for the next project can begin in earnest now. Ideal project would be a LWB long hood 911 in an interesting color. But even though prices have softened some on those, they may all still be outside my budget. So other vehicles will also need to be considered.
arne
Ideal project would be a LWB long hood 911 in an interesting color.

OK, I punted on the "interesting color" part. Currently "chalky red", neé Silbermetallic.

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
Love it! Please share details of your plans for this one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.