Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Arne’s post-teener projects
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
bigkensteele
QUOTE(arne @ Mar 22 2021, 05:10 PM) *

It *DOES* look pretty tall in that shot. Partly due to camera angle, partly because I just had it jacked up and it hasn't settled yet, and partly because we are so used to seeing these cars slammed. This one is just totally stock height. I might trim a half turn off the front coils to adjust the rake a bit, but beyond that I'm going to leave it be. If the next owner wants to lower it, how and how far will be their decision.

If owning three impractical vehicles was practical, I would sign up to be the next owner. I have always loved these things, just not more than my 914 or my Miata.
arne
Not much visible has happened over the past month. Still futzing with the injection. While it does run and drive, it definitely isn't quite right yet. Trying to fix years of neglect, unadvised tampering and sitting unused. I hope I'm getting close. If any of you just happen to have 16v Motronic injection parts sitting on a shelf, let me know!

In the mean while, I have talked with the shop that painted my silver 911, and I'm pretty sure he will get the job, once it runs right and I finish a couple more bits of minor rust repair. Settling in on a couple of colors now.

Oh yeah, there has been a recent addition. The little truck had no radio, speakers or antenna when I bought it. No antenna hole, either, as the fenders installed when it was converted to round headlights had no hole. I plan to put it together "radio delete", but a future owner might want to add a radio. It would be a shame to then have to drill a hole through the fresh paint for an antenna. So I decided that while I would not install a head unit or speakers, I'd go ahead and add an antenna now. And since it is a 16v VW, only one type of antenna will do...

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
Love it!!!

aktion035.gif
arne
Progress slowed a fair amount during the past couple of months. For one thing, I'm a really slow welder. For another, I took about 4 weeks off to install upgraded A/C in my 911.

So there isn't a lot to show on the Bunny Truck right now. But today I did complete all the welding that I plan to do. It is possible (or actually, rather likely) that my painter will find more work during the body and paint prep. And that's OK. By doing the floor pans, bed floor patch and patching under the rear window myself, I feel pretty good about where I'm at.

Will drive the little guy across town to the paint shop soon, so the painter can see it in person for planning and estimate. Maybe tomorrow if he's available, otherwise sometime next week.

Here's a pic of the A/C result in the '72 911T, plus the current state of the Bunny Truck.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
wonkipop
QUOTE(arne @ Aug 5 2021, 03:58 PM) *

Progress slowed a fair amount during the past couple of months. For one thing, I'm a really slow welder. For another, I took about 4 weeks off to install upgraded A/C in my 911.

So there isn't a lot to show on the Bunny Truck right now. But today I did complete all the welding that I plan to do. It is possible (or actually, rather likely) that my painter will find more work during the body and paint prep. And that's OK. By doing the floor pans, bed floor patch and patching under the rear window myself, I feel pretty good about where I'm at.

Will drive the little guy across town to the paint shop soon, so the painter can see it in person for planning and estimate. Maybe tomorrow if he's available, otherwise sometime next week.

Here's a pic of the A/C result in the '72 911T, plus the current state of the Bunny Truck.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

i love utes.
they never sold these golf cart/bugs bunny utes in aus.
pity.
the closest thing down here was a subaru brumby.

its looking good.

beerchug.gif
TRS63
My first VW love wub.gif had one for years, loved it much, had to sell for my ghia sadly sad.gif

Antoine
arne
Current status:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
arne
All body work complete, a bit more blocking and then the painter will start laying down some color. Really straight now.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
arne
Still no paint. COVID and such has cramped the paint shop pretty significantly. Painter keeps saying, "Soon." Still waiting.

I got the seats back from the upholstery shop, though...

Click to view attachment
arne
New paint is on! The truck was not in a spot that lent to good pictures, though...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
piratenanner.gif
dstudeba
Enjoy seeing your progress, thanks for posting.
arne
The Bunny Truck® should be coming home next week, as long as I can get it started and running reasonably well after 6 months of sitting.

Click to view attachment
In the mean while, other vehicle changes. The '72 911T has been sold and was picked up by the transporter earlier today. On its way to Seattle. I picked up its far more modern replacement last week. Son-of-914 - mid-engine 4 cylinder Porsche - 2018 718 Cayman. Whole lot of fun!

Click to view attachment
arne
Getting closer...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
I had a Rabbit truck that I commuted to work in for a number of years.

Great little vehicle that I converted to Euro look on the front. It saw me through so many situations, a real workhorse.
raynekat
There's a diesel Rabbit pickup on BaT right now. Not affiliated. Sounds like there is not much power in that diesel version.
racerbvd
I've had a few myself, even considered getting another one. Back in high school, a friend had a turbo diesel Sport Truck, it was surprisingly quick, I converted a diesel to GTI specs back in the 80’s.
Had a few diesels later, slow but got great mileage. I still have a factory VW bed cover and Kamei hood scoop.
Click to view attachment
arne
The truck finally came home from the paint shop yesterday, and reassembly has begun in earnest. It is still loud, still quick, but now is a whole lot better looking!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Chris H.
Looks like a VW factory special edition Arne! Great work!
arne
Thanks, Chris. It's coming along nicely.

Click to view attachment
windforfun
QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 2 2022, 10:31 PM) *

There's a diesel Rabbit pickup on BaT right now. Not affiliated. Sounds like there is not much power in that diesel version.

Had a diesel Rabbit. Pedal to the metal to get going.
arne
Dressed the tailgate today. Letters and badge.

Click to view attachment
raynekat
QUOTE(arne @ Mar 16 2022, 04:17 PM) *

Dressed the tailgate today. Letters and badge.

Click to view attachment

So are those pre-cut stick-on letters for the "Volkswagen"? Or are you an excellent painter/graphics person?

Looks fantastic.

Might have to start my own post-teener thread.
I've got a "doozy."

Click to view attachment
arne
QUOTE(raynekat @ Mar 16 2022, 10:10 PM) *

So are those pre-cut stick-on letters for the "Volkswagen"? Or are you an excellent painter/graphics person?

Looks fantastic.

Might have to start my own post-teener thread.
I've got a "doozy."

Click to view attachment

Letters were precut. I'm not that good on my own.

I've seen the Lancia picture before, in my "Dark Side" thread on ESR...
arne
The exterior is pretty much done. Working on the interior now, then will clean up under the hood.

Click to view attachment
mb911
Looks cool.. I would love to have that truck. I would daily that in the summer
Root_Werks
Very cool! Sure turned out looking great! I agree with others, looks like a factory edition.

driving.gif
arne
Still picking away at the interior, slowly. I keep getting distracted by the replacement for my former '72 911T.

Click to view attachment
arne
Interior is finished now. I've been driving it a bit now, just because. Will be doing some cleaning and detailing under the hood next. And that will about do it.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Chris H.
Bravo! What's next? Mk1 Scirocco? AWD Quantum with 1.8t?
Jett
Love watching these! Great job!

G60 Corrado, next smile.gif
arne
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 23 2022, 06:55 PM) *

Bravo! What's next? Mk1 Scirocco? AWD Quantum with 1.8t?

Hard to say, it will be whatever I can find as a suitable candidate. This one was a little rougher starting point than I thought it would be, and I'm into it deeper than I planned. It would be nice to find something that didn't need a full-on bare metal repaint. I've done 4 of those in a row now...
Cairo94507
Arne - I love that VW truck. Great looking and I am sure it will run forever now. beerchug.gif
arne
I've been working on the Bunny Truck's engine compartment over the past few days, making some progress. It's never going to be pristine, but that's not really my goal. It does need to look presentable, though. Still a little more I want to do there, but realistically there's a point of dimishing returns on a job like this, and I'm probably already past it.

Click to view attachment
arne
I'm calling it essentially done, other than some final cleaning and such. Posted this along with some pictures on a couple of FB groups and the requests for price and more info have been rolling in. We'll see if any are serious...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
arne
Posted to FB and Vortex this afternoon. Let the games begin...

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/1981-rabbi...stomod.9505563/

Click to view attachment
KELTY360
Nice job, as usual. GLWS
Craigers17
That thing is awesome! You've done a great job. This thing's gonna sell quick. I'd pull it and put it on BAT. I think you'd get double what you're asking.....maybe more.
arne
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ May 28 2022, 01:35 AM) *

That thing is awesome! You've done a great job. This thing's gonna sell quick. I'd pull it and put it on BAT. I think you'd get double what you're asking.....maybe more.

I did give both BaT and Cars&Bids some thought. But both of them will only list it at No Reserve due to the branded title, even though the brand is not quite what it looks like. I'm not quite ready to take that risk yet.

But if I don't get any serious interest within a couple weeks, then I can assume I either have it priced wrong or don't have enough eyes on it. And selling it on one of the auction sites at no reserve solves both of those issues. So it could still happen.
raynekat
So tempted on this one....
arne
QUOTE(raynekat @ May 30 2022, 03:05 PM) *

So tempted on this one....

Pop down to Eugene and see it in person.
arne
Sold it today.
914_7T3
Congratulations Arne! Came out great! beerchug.gif
Chris H.
Ugh thank God! I have NO ROOM for any cars but that one was so tempting. Congrats Arne.
arne
Up next, Project #6 - 1964 Chevy C-10

Should be picking up a stalled project tomorrow. A '64 C-10 short step side. Converted to a 305 V8 (5.0L) and a overdrive manual transmission. Not as fast as it looks or as it will sound, so I hesitate to call it a "hot" rod -- maybe it's a warm rod.

This will be a new experience for me, I do NOT need to paint this one! Oh happy day!

Click to view attachment
arne
Picking away...

Click to view attachment
arne
Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
Nice Arne! A C10 has always been on my mind for a toy…
rhodyguy
Stepside short bed. Pretty cool. A gentleman farmer’s PU to drive to the diner for AM coffee.
Chris H.
Nice color. I like it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.