Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: Electronics question for welder repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
While replacing the diodes on my Hobart Handler MIG last week, one of the leads popped off of one of the little capacitors attached to diodes for protection. Googling, I found advice saying the exact value of those capacitors is not important and to just get "something close." But no indication of what close enough would be. The factory part is 0.01uF, 100v. Digging through my spare components, I found, and installed a 0.3uF, 100v capacitor (I do have 0.01 uF but only 25v). After the repair, the welder is working like new.

But I'm wondering if that substitute capacitor is sufficiently protecting the diode. Getting the correct capacitor is easy enough, but digging into the welder to replace it is not. I'd like to call the repair done, but don't want to burn up my new diode. Thoughts?
Spoke
Not sure a 0.3 is close to a 0.01 since it is 30x larger.

You can order one of the correct value from Digikey.
bbrock
QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 28 2017, 10:17 AM) *

Not sure a 0.3 is close to a 0.01 since it is 30x larger.

You can order one of the correct value from Digikey.

Thanks, That's kind of what I suspected. Although I understand the basics of how capacitors work, it is a bit of a mystery to me how they work to protect circuits in this type of application. So I wasn't sure if 30X would be significant. Do these capacitors smooth the current running through the diode? Better safe than sorry I guess. I'll check the local Radio Shack tomorrow, and if they don't have it, I'll order from Digikey or Jameco.
Spoke
Capacitors are often used in circuits as "snubbers". That is it snubs or knocks down transient voltages across components like diodes. A real high transient voltage on a diode can destroy it in microseconds.
bbrock
QUOTE(Spoke @ Nov 28 2017, 11:15 AM) *

Capacitors are often used in circuits as "snubbers". That is it snubs or knocks down transient voltages across components like diodes. A real high transient voltage on a diode can destroy it in microseconds.

Ah! Makes sense. Thanks! beerchug.gif Gotta protect my $24 apiece diodes!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.