Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ENGINE TIMING SCALE MARKER
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KMotor914
HELLO FELLOW 914ERS
CAN ANY ONE TELL ME WHERE CAN I FIND THE ENGINE TIMING SCALE MARKER (ACTUAL PLASTIC MARKER). MY ENGINE IS MISSING THIS PIECE. I NEED THE PIECE SIMPLY FOR LOOKS.
McMark
It was only installed on busses. In a 914 you can't see it.

IPB Image
914Sixer
New steel ones on Ebay. I guess you could see them with mirror?
GeorgeRud
Why not just use the marks on the flywheel?
jim_hoyland
See: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Bus-Timing-Scal...9-/172358509042

Is there a provision to attach this to a 914 motor ?
Dave_Darling
Sure, you can attach it to the fan shroud. I believe there are threaded holes in the right spots for it.

But unless you have X-ray vision, it will be useless when the engine is in the car.

The 914 is timed by looking through the hole in the top of the fan shroud. After the plug is removed, of course. (And make sure to replace the plug, or you let a lot of your cooling get away from you!)

--DD
McMark
That timing scale also doesn't line up with any marks on a 914 or 411 fan. If you have a bus fan then there is a small dimple/groove in the pulley portion of the fan that you use with that scale.

It really is completely useless to us 914 people.
JFG
How do you time the engine with the strobe if you can't easily access the timing mark? I've just reset my valve timing on side 1&2 and had to use a mobile phone in video mode to see the timing mark. I don't see how the strobe will get in and pick it up.
Dave_Darling
Ahem.

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 28 2017, 07:47 PM) *

The 914 is timed by looking through the hole in the top of the fan shroud. After the plug is removed, of course. (And make sure to replace the plug, or you let a lot of your cooling get away from you!)

--DD
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(JFG @ Jan 2 2018, 04:53 PM) *

How do you time the engine with the strobe if you can't easily access the timing mark? I've just reset my valve timing on side 1&2 and had to use a mobile phone in video mode to see the timing mark. I don't see how the strobe will get in and pick it up.

Not hard at all. You either lean in there and look down the timing hole with your stock eyeballs. Or you use a mirror.

Zach
1adam12
There were no visible timing marks on mine either from fan housing or underneath through the flywheel view point. Had to follow Pelicans instructions to locate TDC and used their template for BTDC.
SirAndy
QUOTE(KMotor914 @ Nov 28 2017, 10:05 AM) *
HELLO FELLOW 914ERS
CAN ANY ONE TELL ME WHERE CAN I FIND THE ENGINE TIMING SCALE MARKER (ACTUAL PLASTIC MARKER). MY ENGINE IS MISSING THIS PIECE. I NEED THE PIECE SIMPLY FOR LOOKS.

Your CAPS LOCK key is stuck!
rolleyes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.