Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how to install windshield seal trim?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
I've probably done this 10 ten times in my life and never had any problem with it. But, I just got a new, OEM windshield rubber seal from Pelican and the metal "clips" are not compressed.

Normally when install these, I just lube up the sides and slide them on (done that and it was easy) and then push the horizontal piece onto the windshield and it's super easy. This new seal was not staying stuck at all, and when I peeled back the rubber (photo below) the metal "clip" is not compressed at all.

I don't recall ever having to compresses this metal part before. But, no problem, I tried compressing about 6" or so to test but I can't get it right. Either it is too compressed to fit on at all, or is too wide and doesn't stick on.

Any tips? What am I doing wrong here? I remember this piece being super easy to install...

-Steve

siverson
photo
siverson
sides went on fine
Socalandy
that doesn't look OE to me based on the metal strip and the tabs look like their too long explaining why it wont stay in place.

My 2cents
siverson
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Nov 29 2017, 09:59 AM) *

that doesn't look OE to me based on the metal strip and the tabs look like their too long explaining why it wont stay in place.

My 2cents

hmmm... ok, thanks. I'll confirm with Pelican. It is advertised (and charged for - $261) as OEM...

-Steve
siverson
>> The seals you have ordered are from the OEM supplier to Porsche.
>> We have sold 10 of these with in the parts year and have not had
>> any comebacks on these ?
>> Best Regards !

Hmmm 2... Pelican says definitely OEM. Anyone have a photo of the inside metal clips of another seal to compare to?

-Steve
Mikey914
The OEM was NEVER a 2 part seal. If they sold to you as OEM, it may be the manufacturer, but not factory.
Mark
Mikedrevguy
I just installed one of these and had to use a set of channel lock pliers to get seal to mate with the window frames.

If there’s an easier/other/better way, ???

Good luck.
Mike
siverson
> The OEM was NEVER a 2 part seal.

What do you mean by this? Is this "2 parts"?

-Steve
siverson
The one on my green car that did press on ok looks to have a similar seam.

-Steve

siverson
But the channel on the green car is tight and easy to take on an off.

-Steve
siverson
> I just installed one of these and had to use a set of channel lock pliers to get seal to mate with the window frames.

Hi Mike - did you push it on then use pliers once it was on the frame? Or before and then push/squeeze it on?

-Steve
Mikey914
The factory part has the metal co molded into the channel. The no factory options have the metal folded in as it's cheaper to make that way. It also means that if it comes out of the fold it's dam near impossible to get back in.
I can say without a shadow of a doubt it is not factory.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.