Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another GB from 914rubber.com - Bet you cant break these. SOLID STAINLESS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
Having the experience of rebuilding Matt's barn find, we noticed that there was rust around the edges of the tubes that went through the control arms. After cleaning these up we noticed that these were constructed from hollow tubes that had a plate with a bolt end welded on. The welds had not been cleaned up well and rust had pitted the them and allowed for water penetration actually allowing the inside of the tube to rust.

We made replacement simple. Machining the new tubes from stainless steel they will never be able to rust and fail.

Once we had the center shafts ready we made the bushings from rubber just like factory. These proved difficult to install, so we switched this up to poly-graphite and they we much easier to install.

So our "kit" comprises 2 - solid stainless steel pivot shafts, and 4 poly-graphite bushings.

I have 2 other GBs I'm about to post -
The front strut top rubber replacement
The A arm bushings - with or without special tools to install
RoadGlue
Just curious about how squeaky/creaky the poly-graphite bushings might end up being? Would it be a good idea to notch them out and use a grease fitting to keep the creaking to a minimum?

They look great!
MikeM
Yes I'd be interested to know about the squeaking and creaking also.
Been there, done that.
brant
Mark,

another very nice project.
and as an FYI: the factory "NUT" that goes onto this stock shaft is a split lock nut that is (last time I checked) NLA

I have one or two in the packaging still...
perhaps I'm wrong and they are in production now
but at the time I bought my "spare" it was NOS

the split/lock feature does wear out
any chance you are considering making that lock nut also with these wonderful products?

brant
bbrock
Can anyone comment on ride and handling characteristics of poly-graphite vs. factory rubber?
Mikey914
To answer the Question on these bushings.
1- No squeak these are actually a self lubricating bushing and you will note a "oily" residue on them. One of the reasons we went this way was because they are actually easier to install being self lubricating.
2-Durometer is slightly higher than OEM. This is because of the graphite.

Matty is currently running these on his car and he's been happy with the ride.
Mikey914
QUOTE(brant @ Nov 30 2017, 09:42 AM) *

Mark,

another very nice project.
and as an FYI: the factory "NUT" that goes onto this stock shaft is a split lock nut that is (last time I checked) NLA

I have one or two in the packaging still...
perhaps I'm wrong and they are in production now
but at the time I bought my "spare" it was NOS

the split/lock feature does wear out
any chance you are considering making that lock nut also with these wonderful products?

brant

I have thought about doing these but needed to talk to a hardware expert to determine if there is anything I might be missing here. I have the un-cut nuts (sounds s little wrong) for lack of a better term I can throw in. What I'm not sure is why the factory used these instead of another locking mechanism. There is usually a reason and I do not have much experience with this type of hardware.

But, Yes I can make them just want to make them correctly.
BeatNavy
Mark - I'm in for one of these as well. Is there tool needed to get these on or into the trailing arms? I've got the leftover installation tools from the "E brand" on my last go-round on this. That, without a doubt, was a fair PITA, even with a press.

Again, looks like another good value beer.gif
amfab
Since I am unable to work on my car for the next few months I have to do something—buying a set feels like something. Im in
burton73
QUOTE(amfab @ Nov 30 2017, 01:49 PM) *

Since I am unable to work on my car for the next few months I have to do something—buying a set feels like something. Im in

What happened to you I missed it are you OK?

Bob B
yellowporky
I will take a set too.
Thanks again for all of the parts
Montreal914
Hi Mark, nice product! ...as expected first.gif

What would be the difference between your poly-graphite bushings and the ones that Eric Shea sells?

Do you need to epoxy them in the trailing arm tube upon installation?
How tight do they fit, tooling required?
The arms are know to be somewhat out of round, how do you compensate for that?

Thank you.

pete000
drooley.gif

I'm in ! 2 sets !
djway
All in smile.gif
bbrock
I'm still trying to decide on these. I want to stay as close to the factory ride and feel as possible since I always thought that was about as perfect as it gets for a street car. When you say the rubber bushings were difficult to install, does that mean impossible, or just that you would need a press? And are rubber bushings off the table based on your experience with them? I think I'm in, but I'm totally clueless about how much harder bushings translate to ride comfort. Hopefully, it is negligible. smile.gif
Mblizzard
Crap! He got me again. I am in.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Nov 30 2017, 08:21 PM) *

Hi Mark, nice product! ...as expected first.gif

What would be the difference between your poly-graphite bushings and the ones that Eric Shea sells?

Do you need to epoxy them in the trailing arm tube upon installation?
How tight do they fit, tooling required?
The arms are know to be somewhat out of round, how do you compensate for that?

Thank you.

I can't comment on Eric's as I have no 1st hand experience.
You should not need to use any epoxy with these. Matt's literally slid in easily. Part of the problem with these is that the alignment of the bushings can bind the rod.

These bushings have some lubrication to them and you should be able to insert using a press. A large socket on the bottom with a washer and same set up on top should do the trick. You may be able to duplicate with a large hammer -- carefully.

As far as out of round, yes the ones we rebuilt were not perfect, but it really depends on the amount of damage you may have.

Mark
76-914
I'm glad to see you doing this Mark. I have done replacements on 2 914's (one was Ravi's) with the OEM rubber and urethane on another 914. After 10,000 miles the Urethane don't squeak as much as they used to. I'll never forget the first time out of the drive with those urethanes. I thought I had snapped a weld joint. Scared the stromberg.gif out of me. As far as the ride goes I can't tell you because the 914 with urethane bushings has a modified suspension and rides stiffly anyways. The one with rubber is 100% stock so a soother ride. I would say that unless you have a press and 5 arms you might want to consider going with plastic vs. rubber and Mark seems to have the better of the 2 plastic bushing presently. In all fairness I should mention that I did not cut the slit or install a zero fitting as suggested by the other company. beerchug.gif Oh, forgot to mention this. The Haynes manual says the rubber ones can't be replaced and they're damned near right about that! av-943.gif
Mike D.
Yep, in for this too! smile.gif
Thanks
Mikey914
PMs sent with codes to all.
Thanks,
Mark
restore2seater
I'm in for a set.
Mikey914
PMs sent to all this far
bdstone914
QUOTE(bbrock @ Dec 1 2017, 10:01 AM) *

I'm still trying to decide on these. I want to stay as close to the factory ride and feel as possible since I always thought that was about as perfect as it gets for a street car. When you say the rubber bushings were difficult to install, does that mean impossible, or just that you would need a press? And are rubber bushings off the table based on your experience with them? I think I'm in, but I'm totally clueless about how much harder bushings translate to ride comfort. Hopefully, it is negligible. smile.gif

I bought and installed a set of the rubber bushings by Elephant Racing. Took me 12 hours and a lot of swearing with the tools they supply. The problem is with getting the shaft pressed into the bushing. The shaft wants to bunch up the bushing and push it out of place. Seems to be a science to install them using the right amount of heat and lubricant to get the shaft to slide into the bushing.
The poly bushing act more like a bearing with the bushing rotating around the shaft. The rubber bushing act more like a spring as the shaft is fixed in position to the car. The dampening effect or the rubber is gone when using the poly bushing.
I am not saying this is bad, just different. Poly is going to act more like the true bearing similar to the poly bronze ones.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Dec 4 2017, 09:13 AM) *

I bought and installed a set of the rubber bushings by Elephant Racing. Took me 12 hours and a lot of swearing with the tools they supply. The problem is with getting the shaft pressed into the bushing. The shaft wants to bunch up the bushing and push it out of place. Seems to be a science to install them using the right amount of heat and lubricant to get the shaft to slide into the bushing.

agree.gif. And just in case you want to know more about the process and the associated pain: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...276229&st=0

bbrock
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Dec 4 2017, 07:30 AM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Dec 4 2017, 09:13 AM) *

agree.gif. And just in case you want to know more about the process and the associated pain: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...276229&st=0

Thanks guys! I ordered my set last week. Figured for the price and ease of installation, these are worth a go. Based on your replies, I think I made the right decision. biggrin.gif
sbsix
Mark, I'm in for a set.
bozo914
Add me to the list. I'm in for a set.
76-914
Put me down for a pair. I can't stand the creaking and crackling of the Urethane bushings much longer.
bigkensteele
Well, I need them, so I am in.
rudedude
I’ll need two complete sets ,all front and rear pieces and one installation tool
Jule
Norskpole
I'm in for a set...thanks!
mgp4591
Mark, would those of us with great bushings but less that perfect shafts (that sounds a little strange...) be able to purchase only the stainless shafts?
Mikey914
Yes I could sell you the shafts only for $20 less during the GB. PM sent.
Mueller
Add me the list please... and for the front a-arms. Thanks,
Mblizzard
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Dec 5 2017, 01:32 AM) *

Mark, would those of us with great bushings but less that perfect shafts (that sounds a little strange...) be able to purchase only the stainless shafts?

He said that out loud!

Ordered mine for my winter project.
Mblizzard
duplicate
Mikey914
If you do want just the shafts PM me I can set this up, but we do recommend installing with these bushings.
brownaar
Crap! I'll take a set.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(brownaar @ Dec 6 2017, 05:03 AM) *

Crap! I'll take a set.

I hate how he comes up with things that are just amazing and you have to buy!

Well my bank account hates it. I love it!
mepstein
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Dec 6 2017, 08:08 AM) *

QUOTE(brownaar @ Dec 6 2017, 05:03 AM) *

Crap! I'll take a set.

I hate how he comes up with things that are just amazing and you have to buy!

Well my bank account hates it. I love it!

agree.gif
tyfighter123
Ill take a set!
maf914
Is there still time to join the group buy? If so, I will take a set. Thanks for offering these.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(maf914 @ Dec 24 2017, 02:26 PM) *

Is there still time to join the group buy? If so, I will take a set. Thanks for offering these.

Not sure but I have mine and HOLY CRAP are they fine. Well worth even the none GB price.
pete000
I started looking at these and found a couple of observations I wanted to pass along.

As for quality they are top notch. Nicely machined. The bushings are very well made. first.gif

As for weight they are very heavy !

6 pounds 15.5 ounces per pair vs the stock hollow axles that weigh in at 2 pounds 9.5 ounces per pair. So these are more than double the weight over stock.

I understand they are indestructible, but I have never heard of a stock part ever failing so not sure if the weight penalty is worth it in this case.

Also the ends are not serrated and a I am not sure if this is an issue but the factory put the serrations in for a reason I suspect.

It would be cool if you could just order the Poly bushings separate skipping the axles for the people wanting to just run the stock pivot axles. The "E" brand does not sell their rubber bushings separate either.

The bushings slip right in the trailing arms very easy and installation is very easy compared to the horror stories you hear from the other manufactures.

I am interested in hearing others opinions on the ride quality and how quiet they are. popcorn[1].gif

Thanks !
mepstein
Your stock axles look new. All the ones I've ever seen on the east coast are rusty and corroded.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(pete000 @ Jan 15 2018, 12:43 AM) *

The "E" brand does not sell their rubber bushings separate either.

Their bushings are a different id. Therefore, only their shafts fit their bushings.

I've been selling new solid pivot shafts for years - made of a higher strength material and the same diameter as oem.
Mine don't have the toothed ends either but I can add them if necessary.
aggiezig
I'm curious if anyone has feedback after installing this kit?

My only hesitation is with the poly-graphite bushings. There seems to be a lot of (mis)information about there about bushings and a lot of folks use the term "poly" interchangeably and I know there's a difference between polyurethane bushings and polygraphite bushings.

So, for anyone who has installed these parts:

1) How hard / easy is the install? Any bushing honing required? Any JB Weld required?
2) How is the ride compared to rubber bushings?
3) Is there any squeaking or binding?

Feedback greatly appreciated!
mepstein
QUOTE(aggiezig @ May 4 2018, 12:46 PM) *

I'm curious if anyone has feedback after installing this kit?

My only hesitation is with the poly-graphite bushings. There seems to be a lot of (mis)information about there about bushings and a lot of folks use the term "poly" interchangeably and I know there's a difference between polyurethane bushings and polygraphite bushings.

So, for anyone who has installed these parts:

1) How hard / easy is the install? Any bushing honing required? Any JB Weld required?
2) How is the ride compared to rubber bushings?
3) Is there any squeaking or binding?

Feedback greatly appreciated!

Mine installed easily. No JB weld is used on this kit. I have not driven on them yet.
Mikey914
Mine are polygraphite, amd we will be making a straight rubber version soon for those that prefer it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.