Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GB from 914Rubber.com A- Arm bushings CLOSING 12/23
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
mb911
So a question and sorry if it was asked.. But the install instructions are blurry.. Do you take the cap off somehow on the end of the control arm?? I assume yes but not near the parts right now but thinking through it.
Mikey914
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 19 2017, 02:54 PM) *

So a question and sorry if it was asked.. But the install instructions are blurry.. Do you take the cap off somehow on the end of the control arm?? I assume yes but not near the parts right now but thinking through it.

The pictures are mostly to assure you don't put it on backwards.
You will need to remove the cap if your still has one. Most seem to be missing.
Then use them to slide onto the arms. We are working on some better instructions but they will be January before we will have ready.
Mark
Mikey914
Closing the GB 12/23
Mikey914
Last call
trojanhorsepower
Mark,
I ordered bushings from PMB, will the tool work with those?
charlesmac
I just did make it! I'm in for two sets of bushings with the install tools. Only need one set of tools. Thanks!! and Merry Christmas!!
Oh, and I also need two sets of the rubber targa holders.
Mikey914
QUOTE(trojanhorsepower @ Dec 23 2017, 12:26 PM) *

Mark,
I ordered bushings from PMB, will the tool work with those?

It should but those are URO bushings.

As long as you sign up by midnight Pacific I'll drop you the code.

MArk
tyfighter123
Am I to late or can I still get a set with the tool?

Tyler
mgphoto
Do we have as link to the install procedure?
mb911
Just did mine today. Pretty self explanatory once you have all the parts in your hand.. Also elephant racing has a youtube video that is the same basic install.. I did have a bit of rubber get cut on the install but think it overall went well.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 12 2018, 06:30 PM) *

Just did mine today. Pretty self explanatory once you have all the parts in your hand.. Also elephant racing has a youtube video that is the same basic install.. I did have a bit of rubber get cut on the install but think it overall went well.

I tried installing mine today with using the clamp method as shown in the Elephant video. No way, now how... I think that part of the problem is that my pipe clamp is a bit small for the task, but even with a larger clamp, there is no way they would have slid right on like the video.

I just had my arms powder-coated. I am reluctant to knock the caps out of the end and risk screwing up my coating.

Looking forward to the install video. Hint. Mark. poke.gif
mb911
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jan 21 2018, 12:26 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jan 12 2018, 06:30 PM) *

I tried installing mine today with using the clamp method as shown in the Elephant video. No way, now how... I think that part of the problem is that my pipe clamp is a bit small for the task, but even with a larger clamp, there is no way they would have slid right on like the video.

I just had my arms powder-coated. I am reluctant to knock the caps out of the end and risk screwing up my coating.

Looking forward to the install video. Hint. Mark. poke.gif

I ended up just using a press.. It worked well.. The issue is the bushings rock and don't go on straight until about half way on.. Thats what caused part of my failure.. They will be fine for my use.. Still mulling over the rebel racing bushings but that is at the complete other end of the spectrum and is like comparison of apples and oranges..
Mikey914
We recomend usina 1/2" threadded rod as ot is more self centering. It is possible to get them at an angle, but easier to see when it starts to go sideways.
mb911
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 21 2018, 02:26 PM) *

We recomend usina 1/2" threadded rod as ot is more self centering. It is possible to get them at an angle, but easier to see when it starts to go sideways.

Yup agree.gif
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 21 2018, 02:26 PM) *

After they are on, given how tight they are, is it still possible to index them using the same method as in the brand E video?
Mikey914
Ill have to watch the video to comment. I can tell you one on our will not slide around like the undersized U ones. Thats what we fixed with proper sizing and harder rubber. If you wat h the elephant video, you can see how tbey wpuld continually change the preload.
bigkensteele
After looking at my newly coated A-arms, there is no way I am going to risk knocking out the caps. They are just too nice.

I already have a couple of long 3/8" threaded rod that I use to drop the motor. I think that I can make a couple of plates and try it again without going through the bar, but on either side of it. That is if I can't find a shop nearby that has a press.
get off my lawn
How much for the all-thread and nuts? poke.gif
toolguy
Use a 4 foot 2x4 as a pry lever under the edge of a workbench to push the bushing and outer cap on. .
Camaro Mike
I snoozed. Looks like the coupons have gone dead.
GregAmy
Any how-to video/write-up yet? I got motivzated and pulled off a control arm this afternoon (it already has Weltmeister bushings in it) but now I'm holding a beer and starting at it on the bench. I bought the tools with the bushings, do not have a press.

For example, does the bushing go in the holfer first, or on the arm? Do I grease them? If so, both sides?

I can go buy some threaded rod - I presume it's avaialble at Lowe's - just pondering life right now.

These seem pretty tight; are they going to restrict control movement?

Also someone tapped in some zerk fittings. Should I remove those?
GregAmy
OK, I'm totally stumped.

I went to Lowe's and bought 3' of 1/2" threaded road, washers, and nuts. Which was a great idea until I got back home and realized the end of the control arm where the torsion splines are is closed off.

How in the hell are you supposed to install these without a press?
Mikey914
There is a plug on it. Thats good.
We are in the process right now of working on the install video.
There are some tips and trick we want to impart to you. Im hoping to have this wrapoed up in about a week.
The main things to remember are the bushings neet to be heated in boiling water and lots of lubrication, and yes lots of lubrication. You get my drift. You need to install as hot as possible and not let the edges tear up the inside of the bushings. You will want to set them to be in a neutral position.
What is that. Where the should set when off of the car. . Take some pictures before you disassemble. This is always a good idea.
I wish i had more for you right now, but we are having a 3rd party do this up and we are in the process of working out the technical info he needs to point out. These are a more challenging install if you have not done it before.
Mark

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.