Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 abandoned in my area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
RoadGlue
I'm hesitant to post too many photos as it might give away the location.

It looks both rough and clean at the same time. Some trash inside. Hasn't been registered since '02. It's 100% abandoned. Not in a residential neighborhood and it's on the street. No red tag yet, but it must be coming soon. Has some bags of trash inside, but I think it could be a survivor. Spotted by a friend, so I don't have the VIN yet.

No bumper tits.

How can I legally grab this? It's sitting on four flats. Should I start by calling our local PD?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
phatnine11
Talk to the DMV and /or AAA. They should be able to at least give you some leads.
good luck,
Cesar
Unobtanium-inc
If it's near businesses try knocking on all the doors, someone probably told their brother or cousin to come get his car, it's out front, they are sick of storing it, etc. So they might say take it, or the brother/cousin might say $100.
Also, leave a note on it, someone may have put it there and would like $100.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 30 2017, 11:07 AM) *

If it's near businesses try knocking on all the doors, someone probably told their brother or cousin to come get his car, it's out front, they are sick of storing it, etc. So they might say take it, or the brother/cousin might say $100.

It's not close to anything. It's where vehicles go to die. It's in an empty part of a business park.

unsure.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Nov 30 2017, 11:10 AM) *
It's not close to anything. It's where vehicles go to die. It's in an empty part of a business park.
unsure.gif

Call the PD or better yet, go there in person. At the very least they can run the VIN and see if it's reported stolen.

I would hate to see another member go to jail over an abandoned 914 ...
shades.gif
RoadGlue
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 30 2017, 11:26 AM) *

shades.gif

Oh, I've certainly learned from others' mistakes. barf.gif

Yeah, I'll get the VIN and call the PD later. Crossing fingers!
Unobtanium-inc
You can also call and find out what tow lot picks up for the city, they can order a "lost title" for it based on it being abandoned.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 30 2017, 11:51 AM) *

You can also call and find out what tow lot picks up for the city, they can order a "lost title" for it based on it being abandoned.

Thank you! I imagine the PD needs to tag it first, right?
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Nov 30 2017, 11:53 AM) *

Not sure what the procedure is where you live, but touching base with the tow company might mean having them drop it directly in your driveway, one stop shopping.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 30 2017, 12:03 PM) *

Not sure what the procedure is where you live, but touching base with the tow company might mean having them drop it directly in your driveway, one stop shopping.

Thanks Adam!
Chris914n6

unsure.gif

Take it home, via flat tow so there are no records. You towing it is no different than the complex owner calling a tow company.

Do a title history search to see if its stolen, if it is then you can report it was abandoned on your street in the middle of the night and the cops will do something about it.

If not stolen then you have a parts car until you figure out how to get a title in Ca. Basically same procedure as a tow company that auctions off unclaimed cars.

I say all this with experience, as my corner of the hood sees plenty of funny car action. Like stolen then dumped and set on fire, twice. The latest one the Explorer was towed with a rope, they removed the alternator and left. Windows busted out, ignition drilled, flat tire. I reported it stolen that night, cops contacted registered owner who failed to claim it, story being it quit running and he stopped making payments on it, dealership didn't care either. It was literally free parts for the taking. Cop put a 36 hour movement sticker on it and left. Next afternoon they came back and towed it 1 block over to the "helpers" house.

That "other" car was on private residential property, completely different situation.
Andyrew
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 30 2017, 11:26 AM) *

unsure.gif

shades.gif

Its yellow as well... blink.gif
Krieger
I'm leaving my house now with my trailer looking for it. It looks like a six to me! Finders keepers Randy man! av-943.gif
Not! Good luck!
Chris914n6

Not if you want the car. Once they take possession they will auction it or sell it directly to a wrecker or keep it if so inclined "as compensation". Bad advice.

If it's on a public street then it's free game.
If it's on the business parking lot then only the property owner can call to get it towed. Also with getting the cops to tag it, but being private property they probably won't.
bandjoey
Yes was thinking it looks like vin 914......001 or close to it biggrin.gif
JeffBowlsby
-0-
RoadGlue
As I mentioned in my first post, I'd like to get this car 100% legally. I've got too much at stake and my hands are too soft for jail.

I'm just waiting on the VIN, then I'll call the PD and/or the DMV and work my way through the system. I'll report back.

I'd rather NOT have it then get myself into trouble. My wife agrees. smile.gif
boxstr
In Oregon you have to take a vehicle to the state police to be vin inspected, and they call the vin. number into a national database to see if there are any red flags on the vin.
Can you take pics of the car and vin into the local or state police or CHP and find out right then and there?
I don’t think I would move it until you have legal right to do so.
Craig
7TPorsh
Get the VIN and go to AAA to see if it's in the DMV record....if not grab it...
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 30 2017, 12:14 PM) *

Its yellow as well... blink.gif

If it's got purple underneath that, RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY!!!!

--DD
burton73
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Nov 30 2017, 01:33 PM) *

As I mentioned in my first post, I'd like to get this car 100% legally. I've got too much at stake and my hands are too soft for jail.

I'm just waiting on the VIN, then I'll call the PD and/or the DMV and work my way through the system. I'll report back.

It's not you hands you need to worry about! w00t.gif
RoadGlue
QUOTE(burton73 @ Nov 30 2017, 02:58 PM) *

hands you need to worry about! w00t.gif

sad.gif
shoguneagle
The suggestion of or even eluding to taking the car is Grand Theft Auto! The suggestions of a tow company getting involved should be at last resort if at all. The suggestions of AAA and running through DMV is a good first step; I think I would talk to a friend who is a police officer and get that opinion. There is a possibility the car is open and find the last registration slip or two.

You mentioned the car is located on the back part of a business park which is undeveloped. I would be talking to the owners/managers of that business park. Someone put the car on that location and there is a very good chance these people know a lot about the car. Follow good and practical sense since each inquiry should provide you with some direction and source of new ideas. Enjoy the fact finding process and get the people to work on your side.

Good luck

Steve
shoguneagle
Public records via title company or public records could be a possible initial step; ask people who are in the business park; DMV records via open records is a possibility; etc. Develop connections and showing you have honest interest in saving the car is of first order.

If you are afraid of not getting the car or someone else will suddenly get interested, this is the risk you always risk when inquiring about a car. This always the excitement of tracking a car. If it is in the cars, you will get it.

Glad to see you are still in the hunt for saving 914s.

Steve
Chris914n6
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Nov 30 2017, 01:33 PM) *

I can tell you with the chassis I had stolen, possession and the story you tell is 9/10th the law. It became a civilian matter and I would have had to take him to court to get it back.

Call the cops, ask if the car you are looking at buying with no title is stolen. Once it's in your possession you can file for legal ownership with the dmv. Call about non-op fees first of course, might need to send it to Nevada first.
Rand
Is it really worth it? I get the intrigue and all, but I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole. It's dirt with tentacles. You've got more important stuff to do.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 30 2017, 04:35 PM) *

Is it really worth it? I get the intrigue and all, but I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole.

If I can do it within the confines of the law, why not? I have a few people in the know that I'll be chatting with tonight. Hold tight.

In the end it may very well not be worth it, and that's okay too.
Rand
Full respect and I know you'll handle it right. It's not about that. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Just too shady for my comfort. Good luck.
914_7T3
Sounds like the new season of "Bait Car"

busted_cop.gif busted_cop.gif busted_cop.gif

GLWAT!

popcorn[1].gif
burton73
QUOTE(914 7T3 @ Nov 30 2017, 04:46 PM) *

Sounds like the new season of "Bait Car"

busted_cop.gif busted_cop.gif busted_cop.gif

GLWAT!

popcorn[1].gif

Your buddies will come and visit and bring you a wet $20.
I wonder how many people will get that. If you have ever had a person you new in prison

Bob B
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 30 2017, 03:03 PM) *

Auto theft.......one of the tools in your 'long game' tool box ?
ConeDodger
I’m going to start a go-fund-me for bail money right now. I’ll get back to you with the particulars... happy11.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Nov 30 2017, 08:26 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Nov 30 2017, 03:03 PM) *

Auto theft.......one of the tools in your 'long game' tool box ?

What I proposed was 100% legal and on the up and up. Most cities have a procedure for abandoned cars to be picked up by 1 tow company. If you called the cops and asked them that tow company was, you might be able to pre-arrange to buy it from the tow company, and they file the paperwork.
Not sure what you're alluding to Rory, I'm as clean as they come, never even had a speeding ticket. But good to know your Jersey mind went straight to committing a felony.
RoadGlue
I'm taking everybody's advice into consideration.

No fighting now, k?
Rand
It belongs to someone. If you figure out who and get their blessing, that's cool. Otherwise, why even think of f-ing with it? It's not worth the potential huge trouble. And for what? Something you could just buy with a legit title? I'd run away, but more power to you for looking into it. Just be careful.

popcorn[1].gif

Sorry for the redundancy of the department of repetitiveness.
Rand
QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 30 2017, 04:35 PM) *

Is it really worth it? I get the intrigue and all, but I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole. It's dirt with tentacles. You've got more important stuff to do.

Think about it. Under any circumstance, would you really feel ok with taking it?
Rand
Don't pull shit until you know the owner. How dumb do you have to be to figure that out?
Blue6
Do not listen to uninformed jail house lawyers. In California if you have that car towed anywhere, you just stole it. Abandoned or not it still belongs to someone, not you. You can get the VIN, and check with DMV or Auto Club for the last R/O. You can contact the person, but chances are you will be told they sold it yrs ago.
The best and cleanest way is call your local PD. They will respond and either tow it due to lack of registration, or red tag it. The red tag is a warning telling the owner it will be towed in 72 hrs (max anything can be parked without moving). Either way, ask the officer what tow company they use. It is the responsibility of the tow company to "attempt" to locate the owner and notify them of the car's status. Unsuccessful, they will lean sell it after 30 days. Does not have to be auctioned. Make a friend there, express interest, and maybe it could end up in your stable.
I bought 15-20 Mazda RX-7's for the $75 cost of towing and paperwork fees. Good luck.
RoadGlue
Rand, it's been sitting for weeks on a public street in a vacant part of a business park around other abandoned cars that are left for dead.

As I've me tioned for the umpteenth time, I'm not to do anything without consulting our police dept.

I get that you wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole, and good for you. If you don't have anything helpful to add, I ask that you refrain for commenting further. Thanks!!
Rand
Sorry, Randy, All due respect to you and nothing I said was meant derogatory to you. Just a word to be careful. That's wise, right?
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Rand @ Nov 30 2017, 09:24 PM) *

I don't care how many years. I wouldn't want to touch this red hot piece of shit until you figure out the legal details. Do you expect it to become magically available as a free thing?
It's not a unicorn worth looking at. IMHO. I just wouldn't want my finger in something that smelly.

You keep saying, "I wouldn't..." and I'm extremely happy for you. I'm also not asking for your opinion. I've only asked how I could save this car from the wreckers legally. There's no harm in asking. I don't own a truck or trailer and I'm not going to do anything rash. You don't know me or my character, so don't judge.

Please take a breather.

Thanks Rand
Rand
I love your work. Sorry my opinions mucked things up. Looking forward. Please report. I've been battling insomnia, so maybe I'll learn something.

RoadGlue
It's okay Rand. Thanks. Time for bed.

I'll report my findings tomorrow.
Rand
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Nov 30 2017, 09:52 PM) *

It's okay Rand. Thanks. Time for bed.

I'll report my findings tomorrow.

Thanks for your grace. Noted and appreciated. Respect.

Can't help standing by what I said though. tongue.gif poke.gif
rhodyguy
Not worth the potecial hassle. How much money do you have in your rainy day lawyer fund?
RoadGlue
I just called the business that the car is sitting in front of and they want it gone. Said it was dumped there over a week ago.

I'll call the PD in a bit.
SirAndy
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Dec 1 2017, 09:17 AM) *
I just called the business that the car is sitting in front of and they want it gone. Said it was dumped there over a week ago.
I'll call the PD in a bit.

popcorn[1].gif
Elliot Cannon
I don't like "barracks lawyers" so I won't try to give you advice. I can only tell you my experience. When I had an experience with a suspected stolen car, the ONLY people who were of ANY help at all was the California Highway Patrol. AAA, the DMV and the Orange County Auto Theft Task Force (the worst)were absolutely useless. Go to your local CHP office and explain the situation. Document the date and time and the names of any officers you talk to.
Front yard mechanic
Just put it on Craigslist and sell it! Seems like that is common practice with" lost title" cars shades.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 1 2017, 09:57 AM) *

I don't like "barracks lawyers" so I won't try to give you advice. I can only tell you my experience. When I had an experience with a suspected stolen car, the ONLY people who were of ANY help at all was the California Highway Patrol. AAA, the DMV and the Orange County Auto Theft Task Force (the worst)were absolutely useless. Go to your local CHP office and explain the situation. Document the date and time and the names of any officers you talk to.

Yeah, when in doubt, know that CHIPS are the coolest!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.