Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early vs late styles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andreic
Hello,

I currently own a 1975 914 1.8L which has some rust (not a lot, but some) which is bothering me. I have the option to buy a very nice, almost completely rust free 1971 1.7L. If I buy it I would sell the '75, I can't keep two toy cars.

I am trying to decide if the disadvantages I know of (see below), and the ones I don't know of, of the early models, make up for the difference in rust.

Here is what I know is worse on the early models, please let me know if this is accurate, how important these issues are, and if there are other things I forgot about.

1) No sway bars -- does this affect handling a lot? I love the way my 914 handles, but I don't know if without the sway bars it will be the same.
2) Tail versus side shifter -- is this a big difference? I guess I could upgrade to a side shifter if needed, I saw the parts on craigslist all over.
3) 1.7L engine less powerful than 1.8L
4) No retractable seatbelts -- can one install the newer style?
5) Passenger seat does not move (for me that's not a biggie).
6) On the plus side, nicer bumpers on the early cars.

Please let me know what your experience is with these issues, and how important you think they are.

Thanks!
Steve
Most can be added, but the following would be a major hassle or kludgey.
-side vents?
-column windshield wipers?
-retractable seat belts is the biggest hassle. Kludgey bulky addon. I have seen one set mounted on a roll bar that looked cool.

Otherwise, doors, side shift, moveable passenger seat and back pad can be added as well as sway bars, etc
I had a mint condition 71 back in 78 and none of these things bothered me. I was the only one that drove it, so adjusting the seat belt was no problem and the passengers never complained about there seat.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(andreic @ Dec 1 2017, 12:55 AM) *

Hello,

I currently own a 1975 914 1.8L which has some rust (not a lot, but some) which is bothering me. I have the option to buy a very nice, almost completely rust free 1971 1.7L. If I buy it I would sell the '75, I can't keep two toy cars.

I am trying to decide if the disadvantages I know of (see below), and the ones I don't know of, of the early models, make up for the difference in rust.

Here is what I know is worse on the early models, please let me know if this is accurate, how important these issues are, and if there are other things I forgot about.

1) No sway bars -- does this affect handling a lot? I love the way my 914 handles, but I don't know if without the sway bars it will be the same.
2) Tail versus side shifter -- is this a big difference? I guess I could upgrade to a side shifter if needed, I saw the parts on craigslist all over.
3) 1.7L engine less powerful than 1.8L
4) No retractable seatbelts -- can one install the newer style?
5) Passenger seat does not move (for me that's not a biggie).
6) On the plus side, nicer bumpers on the early cars.

Please let me know what your experience is with these issues, and how important you think they are.

Thanks!

1) the sway bar thing is pretty big. My car didn’t have factory sway bars when I got it and after sourcing and installing, it was one of those changes that you can’t believe the difference.
2) even the side shift cars don’t really shift all that well. Heck, I have a Rennshifter and I’m not completely satisfied. So, I’d say the tailshifters are a step back from a step back.
3) not necessarily true. The dJet 1,7 performs pretty well.
4) I think the cup behind the seatbelt mount isn’t deep enough for the retractor setup.
5) if that’s not a biggie, what are you whining for? evilgrin.gif lol-2.gif
6) this isn’t a problem since backdating takes a couple hours on a Saturday...

The late Bruce Anderson had the following advice in almost every valuation article he did for Excellence. “Buy the best example you can afford.”

The only thing I can see that might be an issue is the seatbelt retractor. Even that probably could be solved by someone like McMark at Original Customs.
sawzall-smiley.gif
andreic
The late Bruce Anderson had the following advice in almost every valuation article he did for Excellence. “Buy the best example you can afford.”

I have learned that this is excellent advice the hard way -- I started with a pretty average 914 (my first Porsche at all), and put in a lot of money and work to get it in better shape, only to find that it has more rust than I can live with, and I am not good with that kind of repairs.

That's why I want to move up to something that is rust free, so that work I do from now on is on a solid platform. This car I am looking at is wonderful in this respect, but I worry that adding sway bars may be a lot of difficult work, for example.
andreic
Side vents and column wipers are non-issues for me. I always drive with the top off and with the windows down, and rarely when it rains.

I could probably live with the non-retractable seatbelts for a while, until I find a good solution. So far from these replies the big issues seem to be the tail shifter (which I know how to fix) and the sway bars which I know can be added, but the project slightly frightens me.
RickS
Have a 71 and converted from tail to side shifter and in my opinion the improvement was dramatic. The conversion was not cheap but for me was worth it. Sold the original backpad and right seat to a friend restoring a real 6 so added a later backpad and sliding seat and had welding done for height adjustment. Added front and rear sways and they made a tremendous difference. Added reel belts too. Passenger side was easy since it fit fine the driver side was cluged to work by putting the reel on the B pillar. Every thing you want to do can be done since have done them all and much more. All it takes is some skill and some money or no skill and a lot more money.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(RickS @ Dec 1 2017, 01:41 AM) *

Have a 71 and converted from tail to side shifter and in my opinion the improvement was dramatic. The conversion was not cheap but for me was worth it. Sold the original backpad and right seat to a friend restoring a real 6 so added a later backpad and sliding seat and had welding done for height adjustment. Added front and rear sways and they made a tremendous difference. Added reel belts too. Passenger side was easy since it fit fine the driver side was cluged to work by putting the reel on the B pillar. Every thing you want to do can be done since have done them all and much more. All it takes is some skill and some money or no skill and a lot more money.

I believe Grassroots Motorsport’s put it something like this, ‘You’re just as likely to find second gear stirring your Cheerios as you would be shifting a 914...’

Harsh, but... lol-2.gif
Larmo63
I must be spoiled with my '73 914-6 "S"......

Sway bars front and rear from the factory, snazzy stock seat belts, a sweet shifting side shifter, dash vents, and a well thought out /6 conversion.

In your case, with the choices given, I'd rather have the car with the least rust.
SKL1
If the '71 is solid I'd go with that. I've upgraded pretty much everything on my '71 since I got it new (shifter, sway bars- OEM factory, which needs welded mounts in the back and gas tank removal for front install) but wouldn't change the original pepita seats for anything! Never sit on the passenger side anyway, and the none moveable seat isn't that bad!!

Though it a personal preference, the early bumpers would almost be enough to make up my mind.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.