Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 engine found
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
The2904
Hi All,

I just purchased a collection of cars here in California. One item the collection included was what I thought was a 911 engine. After some research I discovered it is a 914/6 motor. It is a 908/38 case with the number 6404542. It looks like it was rebuilt as a 2.7L (1976 heads) and then put in storage.

I'd love to reconnect it with its original car. Any ideas?

Cheers,
John
Cairo94507
You have done the right thing by posting that information here. I hope the original car is still around and the owner finds that motor. beerchug.gif welcome.png
sb914
QUOTE(The2904 @ Nov 30 2017, 09:59 PM) *

Hi All,

I just purchased a collection of cars here in California. One item the collection included was what I thought was a 911 engine. After some research I discovered it is a 914/6 motor. It is a 908/38 case with the number 6404542. It looks like it was rebuilt as a 2.7L (1976 heads) and then put in storage.

I'd love to reconnect it with its original car. Any ideas?

Cheers,
John

clap56.gif your a good man!
Goluscombe
John,

If you don't discover the original owner can you shoot me an email about possibly buying the engine?

Tx,
Carl
bretth
SOT. Is it true that Porsche no longer supplies the original engine number on a certificate of ownership if you don't already know what the correct number is?
Cairo94507
I got my COA in 2010 and it has my engine number. Of course that was quite a while ago so your experience may differ. Good luck.
mskala
I sent for COA about a year ago and mine listed both the engine # and trans #.
Shadowfax
QUOTE(bretth @ Dec 1 2017, 09:14 AM) *

SOT. Is it true that Porsche no longer supplies the original engine number on a certificate of ownership if you don't already know what the correct number is?

They changed the form this year:

"For 1979 or older models, engine and transmission numbers must be provided in order to produce your Certificate of Authenticity. Porsche does not ship Certificates outside of the US and Canada. Please allow 4 – 6 weeks for delivery.*Note: if engine and transmission numbers are not provided or do not match, they will not appear on the Certificate."
CoA
worn

So if you give them the info and they simply feed it back to you that big certificate is worth ..what?

Sort of like Steve Zissous telling the old man to sign the rest himself.
The2904
I spoke with Sara who works in the CoA department at Porsche NA, and she said that now that classic Porsches have become so valuable, and it is so easy to fake the engine and trans numbers, they don't want to give people the information to make numbers match. Seems fair, and a good way to protect our investments.
bretth
QUOTE(The2904 @ Dec 1 2017, 12:14 PM) *

I spoke with Sara who works in the CoA department at Porsche NA, and she said that now that classic Porsches have become so valuable, and it is so easy to fake the engine and trans numbers, they don't want to give people the information to make numbers match. Seems fair, and a good way to protect our investments.

But it sucks for the owners who want to try and find the original motor.
Shadowfax
QUOTE(worn @ Dec 1 2017, 10:56 AM) *

So if you give them the info and they simply feed it back to you that big certificate is worth ..what?

Sort of like Steve Zissous telling the old man to sign the rest himself.

I got a verbal confirmation on my engine number from the Porsche rep before placing my order.
whitetwinturbo
beerchug.gif .....great effort on your part to post.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.