Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Using a 911 oil pressure/temp gauge.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
falcor75
Those of you who use the 911 pressure gauge how did you fit the sensors?
It looks like the temp sensor will be a straight fit for the stock on on the bottom of the engine but I havnt tried the threads yet. I've got a gauge from a '79 911 and the pressure sensor had a way bigger threaded connector than I expected, something like an M18x1,5 or so. Anyone using the same and how did you connect it?
bdstone914
What engine are you using ?
falcor75
2,3 type 4.
914Sixer
VDO has a whole selection of temp ranges and sizes. Ebay .de has a seller that lists quite a few.
sithot
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 1 2017, 04:46 PM) *

VDO has a whole selection of temp ranges and sizes. Ebay .de has a seller that lists quite a few.

For what it’s worth:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289114
914forme
Draft 42 has a nice extensions for just such a place also.

It has the proper M10 fittings, and on the head end has both M10 and 1/8 NPT fittings for a proper leak free fitting.

And then you just add the proper VDO sender in either 1/8 NPT or M10.

An M18, never seen one that large, please post a picture. Does it actually have a PN, that looks like a Porsche or VW P/N
falcor75
IPB Image

part number: 91160611101
porschetub
I used a dual range VDO sender for pressure,the WK connection replaces the idiot light,it is 1/4'' NPT,VDO make a tee fitting but unsure if it will fit a T4,not really sure if I would like to hang to much off the case thread,a hose with a tee in it would safer option perhaps,or a temp sender in the sump as is more common.
I use a 911 combo gauge from a 1977 and run 150psi and 150C senders,I have seen these gauges with different range inserts in metric and imperial,not sure what the 79 911 one has.
falcor75
Yes I'm planning on routing a hose from the case to a T-fitting or getting a sender with both the light and gauge connectors. Just need to find out what senders match my gauge... My gauge has a blue stamp on the back staying "986 5.79" which I interpreted as may 1979.....
porschetub
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Dec 3 2017, 08:47 AM) *

Yes I'm planning on routing a hose from the case to a T-fitting or getting a sender with both the light and gauge connectors. Just need to find out what senders match my gauge... My gauge has a blue stamp on the back staying "986 5.79" which I interpreted as may 1979.....

I have always matched the senders to the max of the gauges,I tested mine for accuracy with new 52mm VDO gauges I had and found them to be very close to my 911 one.
You may have an issue matching the 911 gauge as I don't believe the T4 generates as much oil pressure...I don't really know to be honest but it could be out of range confused24.gif ,there was a 911 pressure gauge insert that read 5 bar max but I don't recall what MY 911 that was on.

falcor75
https://www.vdo-gauges.com/sensors/pressure...10x1k-30-2.html

This sender seems like it could work if the light switch is the same as the stock one.

Is the stock pressure switch closing on low pressure or opening on low pressure?
Frank S
Personally I don't like the solution with the hose since you need also to fix the sender somehow.
Here how I've mounted my sender:

Click to view attachment
clapeza
falcor75,

Looks like we're in a similar situation. I'm building a triple gauge. The pressure gauge I have has a date that matches the same sender you pictured - so that's what I got. I'm going to be using the 42DraftDesigns relocation kit, the stock idiot light sender, and a gauge, in addition to a 911 sender. After making the same discovery, looks like I need a different sender.

It looks like this sender might work:
https://www.vdo-gauges.com/sensors/pressure...psi-m10x1k.html

available from:
https://www.summitracing.com/ga/parts/vdo-360001

I haven't tried it yet, but it does claim to be compatible with 0-5 bar gauges.
clapeza
Here's a picture of the two senders, side-by-side:

Click to view attachment

On the left is 91160611101, the 911-spec sender, on the right is VDO 360-001, the single pole 0-5 bar M10x1.0. The VDO one threads perfectly into the 42DraftDesigns extender T.

I'll report back once I get it all plumbed and wired.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.