Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 914 wrx conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lastwolf69
my first step picked up a 2003 wrx half cut from japan...sorry about it being on its side it rotated autamatically
Click to view attachment
lastwolf69
step 2 engine and trans out
Click to view attachment
lastwolf69
Decided to use the Wrx gages and dash but it was a right hand drive...fun to flip it all around and fit it all together. time for fiberglass and paint.
Click to view attachment
mepstein
welcome.png
lastwolf69
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 1 2017, 11:03 AM) *

welcome.png

Andyrew
This will be fun to watch! Can we see the 914?
Justinp71
Looking good! What are you going to use for a computer? I am doing a wrx motor into my off-road car and looking at using the stinger standalone computer...
76-914
popcorn[1].gif
lastwolf69
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Dec 1 2017, 03:11 PM) *

Looking good! What are you going to use for a computer? I am doing a wrx motor into my off-road car and looking at using the stinger standalone computer...

I’m using the wrx computer and wiring harness
JRust
Excellent! Curios to see how that dash comes out. Definitely following this thread.
lastwolf69
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Dec 1 2017, 12:43 PM) *

This will be fun to watch! Can we see the 914?

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
popcorn[1].gif
effutuo101

popcorn[1].gif welcome.png
mgp4591
A slab sided sleeper - very cool! Can't wait to see how this turns out... and welcome.png
thelogo
A 914 with i assume over 200 horses

Turbocharged too

What is the radiator going to be mounted ?

Engine bay ?
lastwolf69
QUOTE(thelogo @ Dec 3 2017, 10:07 PM) *

A 914 with i assume over 200 horses

Turbocharged too

What is the radiator going to be mounted ?

Engine bay ?

engine is rated at 240hp with the turbo...radiator will go up front and will be vented out through a fiber glass shroud so I can keep a small trunk up there :-)
Justinp71
QUOTE(lastwolf69 @ Dec 1 2017, 05:49 PM) *

Oh so your planning to keep all the factory sensors and dash? In the off-road car alot of the factory sensors will be missing and I will not have a dash. So I was told it will be easier to run a stand alone computer. Another option is to trick the factory computer with jumpers on the missing sensors. I'm just trying to figure out how to do it without spending the $1500 for the standalone computer and wiring.
Andyrew
Microsquirt Justin.

If I did it again I would go microsquirt and tune it myself. (Actually I would probably go MS3 Pro for all the features).
914forme
agree.gif MS3 Pro, or MS Plug and Play. That being said lots of people have done the conversion with the stock ECU.

Scott is the guy that comes to mind for a stock ECU build PORSTI build thread
Mueller
It's been a couple of weeks now, driving it yet? smile.gif

Cool project, looking forward to seeing it in person one of these days.

lastwolf69
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Dec 20 2017, 12:51 PM) *

QUOTE(lastwolf69 @ Dec 1 2017, 05:49 PM) *

Oh so your planning to keep all the factory sensors and dash? In the off-road car alot of the factory sensors will be missing and I will not have a dash. So I was told it will be easier to run a stand alone computer. Another option is to trick the factory computer with jumpers on the missing sensors. I'm just trying to figure out how to do it without spending the $1500 for the standalone computer and wiring.

I've Also made a custom dash that integrates all the Subaru computer system...the couple things ill have to bypass is the anti-lock brakes and the airbags...other then that every sensor is being used.
lastwolf69
finally some more pics of my work.
lastwolf69
engine test fit
lastwolf69
engine craddle
lastwolf69
Cradle and 5MT ready for paint
lastwolf69
all painted up with bed liner :-)
lastwolf69
Engine mounted...Axels line up great, top and trunk lid still fit :-)
lastwolf69
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 20 2017, 03:18 PM) *

If I didn't have a day job maybe lol...still tons to do...

given your down in cali its possibility that we will run into each other :-)
Mueller
QUOTE(lastwolf69 @ Feb 5 2018, 12:54 PM) *

As of now I plan on going to the WCR 2018 up your way in June...

mgp4591
Will the top still fit? idea.gif popcorn[1].gif
lastwolf69
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 9 2018, 02:30 PM) *

QUOTE(lastwolf69 @ Feb 5 2018, 12:54 PM) *

As of now I plan on going to the WCR 2018 up your way in June...

I'm hoping to have her finished or at least drivable by then but time will tell lol
lastwolf69
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Feb 9 2018, 02:53 PM) *

it does with about a 1/2 inch to spare...Just enough room to build a fiberglass shroud to keep that trunk useable :-)
lastwolf69
Anybody know someone that makes a cable shifter set up for this conversion ?
lastwolf69
radiator mounts put in.
lastwolf69
radiator installed...still need to cut air flow holes and run lines but it fits
mgp4591
How will you be running your radiator cooling vents? I've seen a few I want to avoid but it's always interesting to see what others have in mind. popcorn[1].gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(lastwolf69 @ Feb 21 2018, 10:58 AM) *

radiator installed...still need to cut air flow holes and run lines but it fits

Mounts are good, going to make templates for the shroud now its mounted?
JRust
QUOTE(lastwolf69 @ Feb 12 2018, 11:10 AM) *

Anybody know someone that makes a cable shifter set up for this conversion ?

I bought the tranny linkage for zero decipal. It's a bell crank setup & looks great. Can't attest to how well it works yet. Does look good in place. LOL. Haven't hooked up the shifter side yetClick to view attachment
lastwolf69
finally back to work on this....got put on hold for a cummins conversion on a 64 chevy truck. any way to fallow pics of the subaru steering column coverted and mount plus a look at the subaru gauges in place.
lastwolf69
a few more pics
lastwolf69
pics of the cummins conversion in case anyone was wonderin about the hold up evilgrin.gif
lastwolf69
more cummins pics..finished truck about 11 months...truck is updated with all the stuff from the dodge to included gauges.
lastwolf69
heading to the car show
lastwolf69
first axle test fit...need to take about 1.25" off still...gonna order some custom made ones from sway-a-way next week if anyone needs a set now is the time more people who buy them at once the cheaper the price gets....let me know guys and gals
76-914
Glad to see this project is back. Stay after it. beerchug.gif
lastwolf69
Just ordered new axles from sway-a-way so if any one else ever does the wrx and 5mt trans convert their part number for the axle is #2318...they already have all the measurements and everything on file. No more guess work or cutting axles down to measure.
Cheers
lastwolf69
I've been Building this Project for my dad and after some recent health issue his ability to drive a manual Trans is no longer there...so I'm putting this project up for sale...keeping in mind i have more then $20,000 into this thing I'm hoping some one will make me a reasonable offer for it and it will find a good home. I would consider trades as well...I.E. 2005 or newer Boxter, convertible mustang, or camaro...lets start at an asking price of maybe $18,000...if anyone has any input on that please feel free to let me know.

Update- found a camaro for my dad and found out I"m having a baby Just need this project gone dropping the price to $10,000
lastwolf69
QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Feb 9 2018, 03:53 PM) *

yes it does :-)
VaccaRabite
Did you end up selling the car? I hope your dad is doing okay and that parenthood is being awesome!

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.