Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Diesel Cabin Heater
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
So as the weather gets cold again, I realize that with my increasing age I need to do something about heat in the 914 if i want to drive it comfortably.

I'm running a header and most all the ducting on the car has been pulled out.

I've been researching all the threads on here about electric heaters and the Webasto heaters, etc.....I found this!

Thinking I can maybe mount inside or in place of the cowl airbox and run a couple hose into the cabin.

What y'all think?

Click to view attachment
johnhora
Gary...
That's an interesting unit...
sort of a new Webasto heater.
Did you get one yet?
I think many here would be interested as to how it works out.
Maybe some how placed in the from trunk and the heater hose routed into the front ventilation box...
Here's hoping you get to ride in the warm again...
Good luck on the project...John
SirAndy
Why not get a modern Eberspächer unit that runs on gasoline?

I used to have one of those in my old VW Beetle. The car went from -20C to Sauna in about 15 minutes.
piratenanner.gif
Mark Henry
It can be used but I don't think like you said, it only has one outlet. Front trunk or maybe in the rear or engine bay then tapped into your heater channels (longs).
You would need a small tank for the diesel. You also have to cut a hole in the tub for an exhaust.

16"X 5"X 5-1/2" is a pretty small footprint. A lot smaller than an Espar bunk heater.
Price is damn good, looks like it must be china made though.

If you do go for it please write up a report on this.
7TPorsh
I like the price compared to the Eberspächer. I am also thinking diesel will burn slower than gas; could be wrong. Less flammable?

It comes in a 2K and a 5K unit for almost the same price. A 5K blowing into a tee into the front openings could work. It would be great if I fit in the cowl....I don't have a washer bottle.

If it blows through the longs will it cool down? If hot enough this could work too.
7TPorsh
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 1 2017, 01:33 PM) *

It can be used but I don't think like you said, it only has one outlet. Front trunk or maybe in the rear or engine bay then tapped into your heater channels (longs).
You would need a small tank for the diesel. You also have to cut a hole in the tub for an exhaust.

16"X 5"X 5-1/2" is a pretty small footprint. A lot smaller than an Espar bunk heater.
Price is damn good, looks like it must be china made though.

If you do go for it please write up a report on this.

Cool little thing comes with the tank...see in the picture? Looks like a whisky flask!
7TPorsh
Looky looky....5K / 4 outlet

Click to view attachment
theer

Either would be very interesting for non-air-cooled motor conversions.
Mueller
QUOTE(theer @ Dec 1 2017, 02:01 PM) *

Either would be very interesting for non-air-cooled motor conversions.

A few feet of hose and heater core would be cheaper smile.gif

I have an Eberspächer unit for my car, but as normal for me it is shoved away in a box someplace unknown.
bbrock
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 1 2017, 01:33 PM) *

or maybe in the rear or engine bay then tapped into your heater channels (longs).

This seems like it would be a slick option. You might even be able to get creative and stub it into the stock system as a replacement for heat exchangers, but using stock controls. And it would keep all the stink makers in the engine bay where they belong.
thelogo
Dude your in la canada

Not o canada

Put on a beanie and a sweat shirt and call it done

Just .02 cents beer3.gif
GeorgeRud
I purchased an old Eberspacher gas-fired heater to install in my conversion car. It could be done, but I eventually went with heat exchangers as I know they’ll bake you in a -6 if properly working. Now that they’re available through Porsche for the -6 (or some beautiful stainless ones through mb911), I don’t know if it’s worth the hassles of designing and installing a gas or diesel heater. Used SSIs are seen often enough for the -4s as well (though do need to be tested for cracks). There are photos of a system installed in the front trunk of a 914, but I’ve never heard of anyone that actually has seen one.

No matter what system you choose, be sure to keep a CO detector in the car as any leaks could kill you.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Dec 1 2017, 04:13 PM) *

I like the price compared to the Eberspächer. I am also thinking diesel will burn slower than gas; could be wrong. Less flammable?

I know espar makes a diesel version for transport truck bunks, a D2 will fry you out of the bunk no problem. This looks like a copy of the D2.
Search "truck bunk heaters" or "espar D2".
porschetub
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 3 2017, 05:52 AM) *

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Dec 1 2017, 04:13 PM) *

I know espar makes a diesel version for transport truck bunks, a D2 will fry you out of the bunk no problem. This looks like a copy of the D2.
Search "truck bunk heaters" or "espar D2".

Correct Mark my friend is fitting the diesel version in his boat,5kw unit which is generally fitted to motorhomes,something like .5 litre/hour consumption,he laughed @ the running cost compared to his 260hp main engine.
Personally I like this for a heating system and would be great to see someone get it setup and working in a 914.
Montreal914
Replace your header for a Tangerine header with heater boxes confused24.gif

Been enjoying my car top down this week with a nice leather jacket and my regular SS heat exchangers. driving.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 1 2017, 05:33 PM) *

Why not get a modern Eberspächer unit that runs on gasoline?

I used to have one of those in my old VW Beetle. The car went from -20C to Sauna in about 15 minutes.
piratenanner.gif

Are they hard to find Andy?
ConeDodger
Yes, I did google that before I asked the question. They don’t seem to have a dealer network in the U.S. so the question remains...
burton73
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Dec 2 2017, 08:18 AM) *

I purchased an old Eberspacher gas-fired heater to install in my conversion car. It could be done, but I eventually went with heat exchangers as I know they’ll bake you in a -6 if properly working. Now that they’re available through Porsche for the -6 (or some beautiful stainless ones through mb911), I don’t know if it’s worth the hassles of designing and installing a gas or diesel heater. Used SSIs are seen often enough for the -4s as well (though do need to be tested for cracks). There are photos of a system installed in the front trunk of a 914, but I’ve never heard of anyone that actually has seen one.

No matter what system you choose, be sure to keep a CO detector in the car as any leaks could kill you.

I had a friend that had a brother get killed in a motor home from a heater. Went to sleep and never woke up.
Family was never the same.

Bob B
Mark Henry
QUOTE(burton73 @ Dec 2 2017, 08:40 PM) *

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Dec 2 2017, 08:18 AM) *

I had a friend that had a brother get killed in a motor home from a heater. Went to sleep and never woke up.
Family was never the same.

Bob B

Aircraft Spruce sells a little button CO2 sensor that you can stick right in the center of your tach.
They only last 18 months from opening the pack, but they're something like $7 each.
If you sleep in your car you want something with an alarm.

Leaking heater box can kill you just as fast as a gas heater. Likely won't kill you in a moving 914, the top leaks too much, but CO2 poisoning is a bitch.
Wyvern
I would go with something like this.

http://www.my12voltstore.com/12_Volt_Ducte...p/sd12-4000.htm

mepstein
QUOTE(Wyvern @ Dec 4 2017, 11:57 AM) *

The problem is, a 480 watt electric heater won't heat up your car. At all.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 4 2017, 12:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Wyvern @ Dec 4 2017, 11:57 AM) *

The problem is, a 480 watt electric heater won't heat up your car. At all.

agree.gif

Nothing new here, never heard of a single success story.
timothy_nd28
Aircraft Spruce sells a little button CO2 sensor that you can stick right in the center of your tach.
They only last 18 months from opening the pack, but they're something like $7 each.

Leaking heater box can kill you just as fast as a gas heater. Likely won't kill you in a moving 914, the top leaks too much, but CO2 poisoning is a bitch.

IUPAC nomenclature states that just a 1 multiplier is to be called mono, and 2 multiplier is di, a three multiplier is a tri, and so on... CO2 would be carbon dioxide, which is not all that deadly compared to its cousin CO (carbon monoxide).
jd74914
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Dec 4 2017, 01:09 PM) *

IUPAC nomenclature states that just a 1 multiplier is to be called mono, and 2 multiplier is di, a three multiplier is a tri, and so on... CO2 would be carbon dioxide, which is not all that deadly compared to its cousin CO (carbon monoxide).

CO2 is quite poisonous actually (I've worked on some large systems which inerted with CO2 instead of the more common nitrogen-quite scary). It's not considered as deadly because you need a much larger concentration to kill you, but burning produces much more CO2 than CO. I'd honestly be concerned about both, with CO2 a greater concern as efficiency of the burn and efficacy of the emissions system increases (ie: sucking on a modern car's tailpipe will likely kill you with CO2 before CO).

Edit:Don't get me wrong, in a cheap knockoff diesel burner CO is pretty scary though. Chances are it doesn't have any of the emissions refinements so CO may be orders of magnitutde higher than the German unit and risk of exposure is probably also higher due to lower quality heat exchanger materials.
jd74914
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Dec 1 2017, 04:21 PM) *

Looky looky....5K / 4 outlet

It would be interesting to take one of these apart...wonder if they have a burner eye like the Eberspacher units?
JmuRiz
Even think of just getting some seat heaters and wearing a hat/gloves when it's cold?

Would be the most simple solution in my eyes.
mepstein
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Dec 4 2017, 01:50 PM) *

Even think of just getting some seat heaters and wearing a hat/gloves when it's cold?

Would be the most simple solution in my eyes.

My first 914 was a dd while I was in high school and some of college. No heat. I’m never doing that again. The nice thing about our 4’s and 6’s is the heating system is already figured out and parts are available. Just bolt it on.
JRust
Heater Ross posted this on FB thread. Looks pretty simple just not sure on it's output. If you have no heat I would think this would be fine
Dr Evil
QUOTE(JRust @ Dec 4 2017, 03:25 PM) *

Heater Ross posted this on FB thread. Looks pretty simple just not sure on it's output. If you have no heat I would think this would be fine

See post #22 wink.gif
Boomingbeetle
I always liked the Stewart-Warner "southwind" units better than the Eber's, back in my type-1 days... I think I still have 2 of them boxed up in the garage if anyone is interested.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.