Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Directional switch return to off
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
North Coast Jim
Changed out both the Directional switch and the Wiper switch in the 914 a week or so ago. Seems to be working fine EXCEPT - the wiper return to off capability still doesn't work.

I have the following steering wheel, part number 914-347-8041, a hard plastic phenolic ?? wheel with the following return post, see pics. Seems the return post isn't long enough to mate with the switch mechanism. Is it broken off or is there another part I should be looking for ??

I've scoured the World for previous posts on this subject to no avail. Or maybe I'm still a rooking at looking

Thanks all

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
JamesM
Buy about 20 turn signal switches from as many different manufactures as possible and you might find one that doesn't completely suck out of the whole batch if you are lucky. Granted it will still suck it just might not suck so bad that it actually does what it is supposed to. At least that has been my experience with all the garbage repo turn signal switches being sold today.

You may be able to increase your chances of success by replacing the canceling ring on the wheel itself as they tend to have a grove worn in them after 45 years but bottom line the switches themselves are just being manufactured with horrible tolerances.

Surprisingly of all the sources i have tried so far the Meyle branded ones have been the worst. Good luck! If you find a good supply let me know as i am still looking.
76-914
PM Mark Heard "914SIXER". He scours the internet and comes up with OEM replacement parts all the time and he doesn't Scalp you, either! av-943.gif I bought 2 turn signal assemblies from him. One to use and one as insurance as their numbers are dwindling.
mzalanka
I have dealt with this same issue. It shouldn’t be too hard to troubleshoot. My experience was that it was an alignment issue.

First off - can you cause the switch to reliably cancel by manually pushing the white tab on the switch up or down with the wheel off?

Click to view attachment
North Coast Jim
QUOTE(mzalanka @ Dec 3 2017, 01:32 PM) *

I have dealt with this same issue. It shouldn’t be too hard to troubleshoot. My experience was that it was an alignment issue.

First off - can you cause the switch to reliably cancel by manually pushing the white tab on the switch up or down with the wheel off?

Click to view attachment

The tab push does cancel the directionals. I'm thinking it's a depth or location issue with the cancel tab located on the backside of the steering wheel hub.

Were there different lengths for this tab ?? Viewed a Buddies wheel and his had a metal tab vs the plastic one shown here. It was also longer.
SirAndy
QUOTE(North Coast Jim @ Dec 2 2017, 11:38 AM) *
the wiper return to off capability still doesn't work.

Just to clarify, you are actually talking about the blinker cancel, not a wiper cancel?
idea.gif
mzalanka
Ok good. You’ve ruled out a problem with the switch.

IMO it’s not a length but an alignment issue. I have two rings with plastic tabs of different length (one cut down 1/8” by a P.O.) and that makes no difference. You can try to realign a mm or two by loosening the four switch screws and shifting the whole switch assembly left while tightening, then doing the same with the cancel ring on the hub (toward the black semi-ring) and tightening. Also make sure the black semi-circle tab is at 3’oclock when installed.

This still might not fix it but it’s been known to work.

North Coast Jim
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 3 2017, 02:23 PM) *

Just to clarify, you are actually talking about the blinker cancel, not a wiper cancel?
idea.gif

Correct Blinkers
North Coast Jim
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 3 2017, 02:23 PM) *

idea.gif

Blinkers sorry
HansJan
popcorn[1].gif
Valy
Is the canceling tab on the steering wheel mounted in the correct position?
There are about 3 positions you can mount it in but only one works. The steering wheel hub can also be mounted incorrectly (the plastic hub that connects to the steering wheel and holds the canceling ring)
Sorry, but I don't have a correct picture handy.
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(Valy @ Dec 3 2017, 08:54 PM) *

Is the canceling tab on the steering wheel mounted in the correct position?
There are about 3 positions you can mount it in but only one works. The steering wheel hub can also be mounted incorrectly (the plastic hub that connects to the steering wheel and holds the canceling ring)
Sorry, but I don't have a correct picture handy.

Yes, the tab on the steering wheel has to be mounted so that it is on the same side as the white plastic cancelling mechanism when the steering wheel is mounted. In other words if you are looking at your steering wheel as pictured in your second picture, when you go to install it on the shaft flip it over from top to bottom not from side to side. Also don't over tighten the 4 screws that hold the lever in place that can cause the cancelling mechanism to bind up.
North Coast Jim
Thanks all for the valuable input. Will try these out when I get the gauges back from rebuild. Should be another 30 days or so.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.