How cool!

Congratz! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
sithot
Kudos to you
Mueller
Great job and great looking car.

Did you ever figure out what the problem was that lead to wreck?
pete-stevers
looking Great!!! beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
That is very cool! beerchug.gif
yeahmag
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 3 2017, 09:40 AM) *

90% sure.

This was my first 911 front end. Prior to this the car was running a 914 front end, or at least uprights. I got two uprights from a good friend (one koni and one raised 19mm bilstein). As far as he and I both knew they were ready to go. After the wreck I found the front bearings loose. I needed to replace the race pads and rotors anyway, so went to change all that out and find the front outer bearings looked like they had been hit with a hammer and the rears seized on the spindle.

Turns out I was missing a spacer that the 911 uses for the inner bearing! I only found it after seeing recommendations from SMC to replace the “seal behind spacer” when ordering bearings.

“Wait... what seal? What spacer?” None of my uprights had that part.

Basically, I had nothing for the inner bearings to seat against allowing for dynamic camber and toe!

See part #8 in the diagram.

Click to view attachment
yeahmag
In hindsight I did have a few indicators that something wasn’t right.

The front camber wasn’t equal (left and right) and required me to make some adjustments where I never had to on the old uprights. Left and right camber plates had always been “equal” in the past.

The front bearings had to be tightened up a few times after installation.

The car felt very darty and tramlined more than before.

All of these signs were too easy for me to dismiss as new (to me) parts and a more aggressive alignment than what I had been running.
mepstein
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Dec 3 2017, 02:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 3 2017, 09:40 AM) *

90% sure.

This was my first 911 front end. Prior to this the car was running a 914 front end, or at least uprights. I got two uprights from a good friend (one koni and one raised 19mm bilstein). As far as he and I both knew they were ready to go. After the wreck I found the front bearings loose. I needed to replace the race pads and rotors anyway, so went to change all that out and find the front outer bearings looked like they had been hit with a hammer and the rears seized on the spindle.

Turns out I was missing a spacer that the 911 uses for the inner bearing! I only found it after seeing recommendations from SMC to replace the “seal behind spacer” when ordering bearings.

“Wait... what seal? What spacer?” None of my uprights had that part.

Basically, I had nothing for the inner bearings to seat against allowing for dynamic camber and toe!

See part #8 in the diagram.

Click to view attachment

I don’t know why people remove that spacer when they sell struts. It’s a bitch to remove and is usually destroyed. It’s a $35 part new and easily available.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.