Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: has anyone ever used this to get rust off?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 RZ-1
Has anyone ever used this to get rust off parts? I'm thinking it might be good for small parts that are too hard to use a wire brush on or sand-blast:

https://www.evapo-rust.com/product-info/
914Sixer
Works great, works even better when most of the rust is off.
mepstein
It works well. I tend to use apple cider vinegar. Our local store sells it for $4 gallon so it’s more economical for me than evaporust. I just drop parts in a bucket of acv and wait a week. Takes it down to bare metal. If I splash it or my dog takes a lick, it’s not really a problem. Once you get it clean, you need to do something or the parts will rust very quickly. I have a bunch of parts to be plated and I sprayed them with wd-40.
Tom_T
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 3 2017, 12:44 PM) *

Works great, works even better when most of the rust is off.

agree.gif

It will pit into where the rust is, so anything deeper than surface rust will need to be re-surfaced/finished smooth. It is water soluable & safe to dispose of - even in the PR of California, but not sure if dog-safe.

I can't compare with how effective any vinegar is vs. Evapo-Rust, but know that Evapo does get well into deeper rust.

Evapo is also reusable for multiple batches, & can be used on surfaces with a soaked rag - while I think that vinegar will eventually lose it's acidity, so will lose it's effectiveness, & I think that Evapo works faster.

Maybe try both & report back!

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.