Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: But In Time For the Season
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
So with just a few weeks to Christmas, and married for many many many many years (almost 25, Yikes) She says.....Don't get me anything this year. Let's just let the kids do Christmas. So, If I do what she says, on Christmas day, my head will be stuffed inside the turkey's butt. However, I'm at a loss for what to get her.

HELP ME drunk.gif and I'll bet some of you are looking at the same problem. She can get anything she wants and I'm really at a loss for what to buy.

Give me your new and thoughtful ideas...not just a spa day. She does that already.

What is the perfect present in this case????

Ideas for me and possibly you too are:

PanelBilly
I've been in the same position. I buy Julie a new purse. Doesn't matter that it isn't the one she wants. She'll take it back and pick out something she likes. Usually go to Nordstroms or Macy's so it's easy for her to get cash back if they don't have one she likes. Warning: a good purse cost $300-375 and don't bother picking one out that's on sale. Get a gift receipt.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Dec 3 2017, 03:33 PM) *

So with just a few weeks to Christmas, and married for many many many many years (almost 25, Yikes) She says.....Don't get me anything this year. Let's just let the kids do Christmas. So, If I do what she says, on Christmas day, my head will be stuffed inside the turkey's butt. However, I'm at a loss for what to get her.

HELP ME drunk.gif and I'll bet some of you are looking at the same problem. She can get anything she wants and I'm really at a loss for what to buy.

Give me your new and thoughtful ideas...not just a spa day. She does that already.

Buy her a flying lesson. Maybe a ride in a sail plane or helicopter. Fair warning. This could get very expensive for you. santa_smiley.gif laugh.gif
KELTY360
What's her favorite charity? Make a nice donation in her name to a worthwhile cause.
Coondog
Make up your own gift cards for her. Going on dates is what they really want. Make one for each month of the year

# Dinner
# Movie
# Weekend get away
# sexy lingerie
# nails done
# day spa
Ect ect ect

Be creative, she will love this better then any present.
My 914
Being married for 25 years always warrants gifts. Jewlery is a good option. Small package, sends a nice message and is usually much appreciated as it's not often requested.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 3 2017, 04:52 PM) *

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Dec 3 2017, 03:33 PM) *

Buy her a flying lesson. Maybe a ride in a sail plane or helicopter. Fair warning. This could get very expensive for you. santa_smiley.gif laugh.gif

Maybe here. smile.gif https://www.usaviationacademy.com/

Ask for the discovery flight.
bobboinski
QUOTE(My 914 @ Dec 3 2017, 06:20 PM) *

Being married for 25 years always warrants gifts. Jewlery is a good option. Small package, sends a nice message and is usually much appreciated as it's not often requested.

37 years here. My wife once said "I always like small, sparkly things". No complaints yet. Helps to find out her favorite jeweler in town, they will know what she likes.
bandjoey
So far, jewelry and airplanes. don't you know I'm a CSOB Teener owner? biggrin.gif
Jewelry is probably the safest way and with a receipt.

what else works?
76-914
Last year I bought my wife a goat thru Heifer International and that might have been her favorite present yet. beerchug.gif
GermermanCarGuy

So with just a few weeks to Christmas, and married for many many many many years (almost 25, Yikes) She says.....Don't get me anything this year. Let's just let the kids do Christmas.

Stop! It's a Trap! Whatever you did, it's probably bad. Buy her diamonds. lol-2.gif
rhodyguy
Jeanne and I decided to donate to Operation Agua which is providing gravitational water purifiers to our fellow citizens in Puerto Rico. Check it out www.aft.org. $150 buys 5 purifiers that can provide 24 liters of safe water per day with a estimated filter life of 5k liters.
Chris914n6
I'm sorta kidding...

https://www.etsy.com/shop/imyourpresent

What I was actually looking for.
IPB Image
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Coondog @ Dec 3 2017, 05:16 PM) *

Make up your own gift cards for her. Going on dates is what they really want. Make one for each month of the year

# Dinner
# Movie
# Weekend get away
# sexy lingerie
# nails done
# day spa
Ect ect ect

Be creative, she will love this better then any present.

Agree! He is right. I have done this before and it works!
white914.jpg
burton73
QUOTE(bobboinski @ Dec 3 2017, 05:36 PM) *

QUOTE(My 914 @ Dec 3 2017, 06:20 PM) *

37 years here. My wife once said "I always like small, sparkly things". No complaints yet. Helps to find out her favorite jeweler in town, they will know what she likes.

agree.gif
I agree. I was married for 30 years and my wife passed away coming home from working out. She was addicted to working out.

5 years later I got married to a wonderful woman the same age as me just 2 weeks ago. My life’s experience with woman is they love jewelry and flowers but number one big buy is jewelry.

I can look at a Porsche car part like they look at Diamond’s

Bob B

IronHillRestorations
It's hard to go wrong with baubles, but it can come off as somewhat generic.

Plan an overnight or weekend trip based on things she likes to do and surprise her with it.

If you want to do a "change the world" kind of gift in her name, sponsor a child through Compassion International or one of the other life changing charities. For what amounts to eating out once a month you can help raise a kid (who isn't expecting a new iPhone) out of poverty.
warpig
Buy her a new 914!!!! idea.gif confused24.gif happy11.gif
bandjoey
Weekend surprise trip and jewelry sounds like fun too
I like it so far.
toolguy
25 years , huh. . A custom made wooden jewelery box. . there are some nice Italian inlaid boxes. .with something special inside. . Try to figure out something that will have a sentimental aspect to it . . something that represents you lives together.
budk
A cruise - with or without you!
bandjoey
Hey jewelry and memento box sounds great that’s a new idea
Betty
I like the suggestion made above of a gift from Heifer International. We've toyed with the idea of buying half of a Water Buffalo for a particular family member... then telling her to guess which end of it we got her. happy11.gif

I don't know how much help I can be because I really do want car parts for Christmas (Clay got me new headlights and front trunk weatherstripping this year - don't tell him I know about it). biggrin.gif

What I can do is tell you about my experiences regarding gifts received and given. One of the best gifts I ever got was a can of cherry pie filling. My sister didn't have a lot of money, she knew I liked cherries, voila - a wrapped can of cherry pie filling under the Christmas tree that year. That she actually knew what I liked, and took the effort to get me something even when she couldn't afford much touched me deeply. I sat down that Christmas morning with a spoon and ate it sitting there, talking with her.

Two of the best gifts I've ever given were:
My Dad loved this one type of beer but he'd moved with my Step Mom to a part of the country where it could not be found. I figured out you could order it online and have it shipped by truck freight if you bought a minimum amount, which I did. I tormented him for days saying his gift had to be delivered by truck and giving him outlandish hints as to what it could be. When the delivery guy knocked on the door and my Dad saw HIS brand of beer - the phone call I got from him (after he'd put some beer in the fridge and squirreled the rest of it away of course) was so much fun.

Clay's had his pilot's license for a while now; flying has always been his first love. he LOVES vintage planes. His flight instructor flew P-38's during his time in the service (I'm sure he taught Clay flying stuff that most normal pilots don't know. biggrin.gif ). A local airport had three T-28's hangared there and they would give hour long lessons to help pay for gas, parts, etc. so I bought an hour for Clay. It was AWESOME when they started that plane up. HUGE clouds of black smoke belching from the radial engine; and the SOUND! They flew off over the neighboring countryside and did aerobatics. Clay got to fly the plane, he even flew the take-off and landing since he was already a pilot with tail wheel experience. Clay had an absolute blast for that one hour! The entry in his pilot's logbook is one of his proudest accomplishments.

To sum up - when your wife is given the time and money to do what she really likes to do, what is that? Do something for what SHE likes.
Millerwelds
15 year anniversary and while we generally do not buy each other gifts I bought a years subscription to the flower of the month club. Something we both can enjoy.

We generally save our gift money for cruises. We generally save enough to buy high end jewelry at huge discounts too (for her). Overall win win for both of us. beerchug.gif
hndyhrr
QUOTE(warpig @ Dec 3 2017, 07:58 PM) *

Buy her a new 914!!!! idea.gif confused24.gif happy11.gif

i would love this one!!!!!
flyer86d
42 years here. We said the same thing two years ago. I boought her an anniversary band as I remember it is called. A very narrow gold band with small diamonds. She loves it and wears it daily inside of her wedding band.

We got the extra special present that year when our oldest son and daughter-in-law announced that she was pregnant with our grandson. Great Christmas!

Charlie
bandjoey
Great suggestions all. Some I really think will work. Also, glad to see a lady Betty chime in from the female prospective. cheer.gif
porbmw
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Dec 3 2017, 06:55 PM) *

It's hard to go wrong with baubles, but it can come off as somewhat generic.

Plan an overnight or weekend trip based on things she likes to do and surprise her with it.

If you want to do a "change the world" kind of gift in her name, sponsor a child through Compassion International or one of the other life changing charities. For what amounts to eating out once a month you can help raise a kid (who isn't expecting a new iPhone) out of poverty.

agree.gif

If you can swing both...go for it.

The overnight/weekend trip will become "your Christmas gift"...am sure that you will "benefit". She can always wear baubles, but with a night out, you will get to wear her (out?) beerchug.gif
And a gift to a charity will benefit both of you, and many others
abes914
11 years here. We decided that we will give each other one gift a year. We combine all the gift giving holidays and anniversary into one gift. We still celebrate and go out and eat on special days. I've given jewelry (pearls) designer bags and vacation for the family. I also do random gifts just because. Last anniversary, I made breakfast in bed.

You can try gifting a paid spa treatment or salon experience.

Pandora jewelries are also fun. You can get charms each year or for special occasion.

bandjoey
Here's a new one you might go for. She loves her purse puppy. Dog photo session.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.