Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jack stand placement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dh_berman
I've read lots of threads here about jack points but I haven't seen anyone comment on this specifically.

Is there any problem with putting jack stands under the rear trailing arms at their pivot points?
914 RZ-1
That is a good place for standard jack stands (the ones with the u-shaped tops that are meant for axles). Also put them under the jack donuts, just be careful. I got some jack stands with flat tops, they work better for that location.
914Sixer
PLEASE make sure your jack stands have LOCKING PINS. No locking pins might make a big difference in your health.
porschetub
I use the trail arm pivots with thin strips of plywood under the "u" shaped tops,saves marking the paint and my car is very solid on the stands this way.
I only use the jacking points to raise and lower the car,would rather not use these area's for jackstands.
Don't try the original jackpoints like I did,I now have to repair one after it broke headbang.gif headbang.gif ,still haven't really worked out to repair it @ this stage.Click to view attachment
Boomingbeetle
Another tip from the shop would be to give the car a good shake once it's on the stands by pushing or pressing the bumper with strong force. If it wobbles or doesn't seem solid, find a better spot to support it before you crawl underneath. Don't want to risk getting squashed if there's a icon_bump.gif
GeorgeRud
I like to also leave the extended jack in place (just in case), but always give the car a good shake before crawling underneath.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 4 2017, 06:41 AM) *

PLEASE make sure your jack stands have LOCKING PINS. No locking pins might make a big difference in your health.

agree.gif One of the members of this BBS had to have his face rebuilt after his ratchet-type jack stands let go and dropped his 914 on his head. Good thing he was already married! wink.gif

(Just messin' with ya, Gint!!)

--DD
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(porschetub @ Dec 4 2017, 12:27 PM) *

I use the trail arm pivots with thin strips of plywood under the "u" shaped tops,saves marking the paint and my car is very solid on the stands this way.
I only use the jacking points to raise and lower the car,would rather not use these area's for jackstands.
Don't try the original jackpoints like I did,I now have to repair one after it broke headbang.gif headbang.gif ,still haven't really worked out to repair it @ this stage.Click to view attachment

Those jack points are useless. IMHO Cut them out, fill the hole in your rocker panels and carry a small floor jack to use when you need to change a tire.
burton73
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 5 2017, 09:54 AM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Dec 4 2017, 12:27 PM) *

Those jack points are useless. IMHO Cut them out, fill the hole in your rocker panels and carry a small floor jack to use when you need to change a tire.

I use these with the jack pads that slide into them and lift my 76 up with no problem. I have not seen this before. These look rust free and just let go?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.