Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: body repair front sway anti roll bar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JFG
I took off the passenger side anti roll bar fittings to replace bushes in the link and assess the rest. I found play in the long cylindrical bush (pictured with collar/bracket) so i took this off. When i removed it i found cracks and broken off metal chunks.

One of the u bolts fits above the box section and the other somehow fits through the inside of the box section.

I would like to weld a support plate inside so that any extra material is npt affecting the seating of the triangular bracket in the inner fender wall. 1 problem i see is how do i get the u bolt back through the box section without cutting it open? I know if i weld inside i'll have to cut the box section open anyway but there was no previous cut and weld on that spot.

What is the best way to repair this section?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
toolguy
That is what happens when you don't have the welded in factory reinforcement plat on the inner side. . Even with a plate, I've ripped the body when using stiffer bars and autocrossing the car. . The sway bar places an extreme amount of force on some really thin sheet metal.
VaccaRabite
The rust isnt helping either.

Cut a patch, weld it in. Redrill for the sway bar, and consider making a brace for the metal to beef it up a tad.

Zach
914werke
QUOTE(toolguy @ Dec 4 2017, 02:41 PM) *

That is what happens when you don't have the welded in factory reinforcement plat on the inner side.

Do you mean the Wheel well?
If you meant the tank cavity side, Sorry but there is no such part dry.gif
914forme
Add one of these from Maddog, what you ned is at the top of the page.
76-914
QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 4 2017, 03:45 PM) *

Add one of these from Maddog, what you ned is at the top of the page.

Thx for posting that. I'm going to get a pair of those. beerchug.gif
PlaysWithCars
That seems like overkill unless you are really going to push it hard and frequently. I've used a welded in triangular backing plate on two cars now, both seeing regular autocross duty, with no issues.
toolguy
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Dec 4 2017, 03:31 PM) *

QUOTE(toolguy @ Dec 4 2017, 02:41 PM) *

That is what happens when you don't have the welded in factory reinforcement plat on the inner side.

Do you mean the Wheel well?
If you meant the tank cavity side, Sorry but there is no such part dry.gif

The Factory Parts Manual lists the inner reinforcement and it's been on all my 914 and early 911 cars that were factory equipped with sway bars. Not to be confused with the actual bar bearing retainer which is listed with the suspension / sway bar.

Factory Parts manual section 8-2 part #9 914-502-031-12

Sorry for the blurry picture but you can see the part for the inner side of fender.
Front yard mechanic
Parts squeaky Click to view attachment
76-914
QUOTE(plays with cars @ Dec 4 2017, 07:35 PM) *

That seems like overkill unless you are really going to push it hard and frequently. I've used a welded in triangular backing plate on two cars now, both seeing regular autocross duty, with no issues.

Sounds reasonable but at this age I look at it like insurance and some peace of mind. beerchug.gif
914forme
QUOTE(plays with cars @ Dec 4 2017, 10:35 PM) *

Not over kill in a damaged section. Can also be installed completely on the outside, and you do not have to even get into the lower area if you don't want. Cut down or what ever, just covers his back and then some.

If your doing the triangle mounts and welding them I'd go with Brad Mayer's 914 Limited mounts.

They have an inner and outer pieces and can be welded in just fine, and also do not effect the inner stiffener / passage.

Each their own, just providing solutions to a problem. confused24.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 5 2017, 05:31 PM) *

QUOTE(plays with cars @ Dec 4 2017, 10:35 PM) *

Not over kill in a damaged section. Can also be installed completely on the outside, and you do not have to even get into the lower area if you don't want. Cut down or what ever, just covers his back and then some.

If your doing the triangle mounts and welding them I'd go with Brad Mayer's 914 Limited mounts.

They have an inner and outer pieces and can be welded in just fine, and also do not effect the inner stiffener / passage.

Each their own, just providing solutions to a problem. confused24.gif

I keep meaning to order a couple sets of Brad's mounts. Great solution. thanks for the reminder
JFG
This was the state of the passenger side as of just now headbang.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

If you're not sure about yours i recommend a quick check by removing one of the brackets or both.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.