Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: trickle charger recommendation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 RZ-1
My car will be sitting for awhile as I ready it to get painted. I'd like to keep the battery charged. I've been starting it up and letting it run for a few minutes every week or so, but I'm thinking this is not effective. It does get the parts moving, though!

The Harbor Freight charger is a POS, according to a reviewer who states he is an electrical engineer and he gave a long explanation to prove why the charger is not really all that good.

What are my options for an inexpensive float/trickle charger?
burton73
I have a few of these around. I just ordered a different unit from Amazion for 20 and I have not tried it but these work great and I have had them for over 10 years on Porsche
cars

Bob BClick to view attachment
burton73
These are tough too. This one pictured is on my forklift and has hit the ground a few times and still works great.

Bob B
ValcoOscar
agree.gif
Deltran chargers are a way to go...I use various models on my forklifts, work trucks, tractor and all my cars at home...

Oscar
wes
I just bought a newer version offered at Costco on sale starting the 17th November though not sure how long the sale last.
brownaar
If it's an AGM sealed battery like an Optima, go with this. It brought an Optima I had back from the dead.(I suspect it was heavily sulfated)
Click to view attachment
Chris914n6
I've used one of these for a few years. Broke the case on the first one pulling it out of the outlet just under 90 days then it died. Got it replaced for free.

12 Volt Deluxe Battery Maintainer and Float Charger

Coondog
Not cheap but charges everything
Click to view attachment
mepstein
I’ve been very happy with the battery tender jr. $25 at flaps. Not a quick charger but very easy to use and check status.
cary
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 4 2017, 05:39 PM) *

I’ve been very happy with the battery tender jr. $25 at flaps. Not a quick charger but very easy to use and check status.

I'm with Mark. I have 6 Juniors. Both HF and NAPA ones didn't stand the test
of time ...........
KELTY360
Just get a battery disconnect that fits on the terminal and make sure the battery is disconnected when you're not using it. Battery will last indefinitely without a drain on it.
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Dec 4 2017, 06:15 PM) *

Just get a battery disconnect that fits on the terminal and make sure the battery is disconnected when you're not using it. Battery will last indefinitely without a drain on it.

I like the sound of this! Can you send me a link that has a picture of what you're talking about? When I searched for battery disconnectors I got what appear to be switches for in the car. It sounds like you're suggesting something that just goes on the battery. A picture would be helpful. Thanks for the suggestion.
KELTY360
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Dec 4 2017, 07:45 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Dec 4 2017, 06:15 PM) *

I like the sound of this! Can you send me a link that has a picture of what you're talking about? When I searched for battery disconnectors I got what appear to be switches for in the car. It sounds like you're suggesting something that just goes on the battery. A picture would be helpful. Thanks for the suggestion.

This is what you want. Connect to the negative terminal and all you have to do is turn the knob to connect/disconnect.

Battery Disconnect

Click to view attachment

theer
agree.gif

works like a charm. Less than $10 (probably less than $5) at any auto parts store.
914 RZ-1
@KELTY360:

Thanks, I'll try this first. I think I will make whole new negative battery wire assembly.
914 RZ-1
While I'm going to try the battery switch idea, I'd still like to get a float charger.

What is the difference between these two:
Battery Tender Jr 750mA (#021-0123) $40
Battery Tender Plus High Efficiency 1.25A (#022-0185G-DL-WH) $70

Is it just the amperage? They both appear to have similar features, just different amps. I'm leaning toward the $40 one. One poster said he uses it and it works fine, others use the other ones.
Mueller
QUOTE(Coondog @ Dec 4 2017, 05:28 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Some decent sales on Amazon right now for this charger.
mepstein
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Dec 5 2017, 11:50 AM) *

While I'm going to try the battery switch idea, I'd still like to get a float charger.

Is it just the amperage? They both appear to have similar features, just different amps. I'm leaning toward the $40 one. One poster said he uses it and it works fine, others use the other ones.

The jr is very small. It’s just the charger that plugs into the wall and the cables. It works well but takes a couple days to charge a mostly dead battery.
burton73
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 5 2017, 11:01 AM) *

The jr is very small. It’s just the charger that plugs into the wall and the cables. It works well but takes a couple days to charge a mostly dead battery.

Even the reg one would not charge the 10 month old battery on my 911 Carerra when it would not start my car. Had to put the battery on a reg charger for 24 hours and then it topped it off.
mepstein
QUOTE(burton73 @ Dec 5 2017, 02:52 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 5 2017, 11:01 AM) *

Even the reg one would not charge the 10 month old battery on my 911 Carerra when it would not start my car. Had to put the battery on a reg charger for 24 hours and then it topped it off.

My optima was almost dead and it brought it back. Just took a while.
RickS
An economical alternative for a mantainer is the Battery Butler recommended by PCA. I have 4 of them, two cars, a generator and lawn tractor and they are about $20 each, last for years. They are not chargers, simply maintains the charge, but they also offer chargers.

https://www.lectriclimited.com/battery-butler-products/
mankowski
"My optima was almost dead and it brought it back. Just took a while."

Same result for me.
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 5 2017, 10:01 AM) *

QUOTE(Coondog @ Dec 4 2017, 05:28 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Some decent sales on Amazon right now for this charger.

What about the G1100? It's only 1.1A (and $39 vs $60), but does that matter? I'm just looking to keep the battery charged in between driving it 3 or 4 times a month.
914 RZ-1
Check it out! Thanks for the suggestion. beer.gif It cost me just over $5 for the disconnect and just under $8 for the cable (mine was a bit short). Total: $12.89 plus about 15 minutes to install.

Click to view attachment
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(RickS @ Dec 5 2017, 04:32 PM) *

An economical alternative for a mantainer is the Battery Butler recommended by PCA. I have 4 of them, two cars, a generator and lawn tractor and they are about $20 each, last for years. They are not chargers, simply maintains the charge, but they also offer chargers.

https://www.lectriclimited.com/battery-butler-products/

Thanks for the info. these are American made, too! The BBFC400 - $49 looks like a good one. Which one do you have?

[Edit: not sure about American made. The website doesn't specifically state this particular product is made in America: Proudly made in America! Lectric Limited has been manufacturing wiring harnesses, spark plug wire sets, and other wiring products in the Chicago area for over 35 years. So, if you're looking for American made wiring products, made by American workers, for your American made classic or muscle car, you're at the right place!]
RickS
The basic $20 models. I order 2 at a time and save on shipping. I have a good charger from another company.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.