Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator wires on a 3.0 -6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 Ranch
Got this 3.0 not sure of the year and think that the alt has an external regulator (small black box with 3 wires). Blue, black and brown. I believe that the blue one gets put with the blue from the alt. Where do the black and brown go? One should be a ground.

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
I'm thinking black is ground and brown is going to the white. I remember a white wire coming out of the alt.
Now I'm going to go look for the white wire
914 Ranch
White wire is coming from the coil. Wires coming from the alternator​are red, blue and black.
I'm thinking brown is ground.
Only theory.
914 Ranch
Almost 100 views and no response.
What I need to know is where the wires go from the 6 pin on the ignition module and the 3 wires from the external regulator go.
914 Ranch
Foto 4 e fect

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
Nother

Click to view attachment

Mark Henry
Ummm...isn't that a CDI?
GeorgeRud
I thought the 3.0 liter engines used an internal voltage regulator. And yes, the ribbed box is a Bosch CDI.
Mark Henry
If you look carefully at the regulator connector it's marked (DF, D+ and D-) it corresponds with what's on the alternator. The connector MALE on the reg.

My wire colours are below, but no clue if it's the same as yours. (note this is looking straight on the male connector on the reg.)

D-, brown

DF, black........................ D+, red/black stripe also has green/black stripe to idiot light
Mark Henry
On some 911 alternator's, D+ is marked 61+....it's the same thing.

Internal reg should only have B+ and the idiot light connection.
IronHillRestorations
Can you post a pic of the back of the alternator?

Do you know for sure what wires are definitely coming out of the alternator?

Is the 3.0 always been in the car, or is it a

All the 3.0's I've made harnesses for have had alternators that are internally regulated, but it's entirely possible that someone put an externally reg'd alternator.

In the 1st post, there's a voltage regulator mounted above the CDI box.
IronHillRestorations
Can you post a pic of the back of the alternator?

Do you know for sure what wires are definitely coming out of the alternator?

Is the 3.0 always been in the car, or is it a new install?

All the 3.0's I've made harnesses for have had alternators that are internally regulated, but it's entirely possible that someone put an externally reg'd alternator.

In the 1st post, there's a voltage regulator mounted above the CDI box.
Mark Henry
Another crazy 911 alternator point.

Your alternator may have two B+, two DF and two D- posts, but only one D+ (61+) post.
Just wire up one post of each only!

Don't try to jump B+ to B+, etc. as it won't work.

I have no clue why the doubles and either one will work.
Mark Henry
External reg will look like one of theses two: I have the one on the left.

IPB Image
914 Ranch
I'll pull the fan cover tonight and take a picture cause I think the alt and the fan came from another motor. It has some broken blade's. This hole thing ran 2 weeks ago. I had to change some wires and now I'm going not putting it back correctly. Pic of the illegitimate external regulator.

Click to view attachment
914 Ranch
It plugged into a plug and the wires change color but the engine side of the connector is Porsche.
The ignition module is causing me problems too.
914 Ranch
About to change the bus bar in the engine bay and tried to start her before I pull the wires and put them into the box.

Click to view attachment

Should have taken a picture before...
Mark Henry
I've been told that a regulator is a regulator, but the the guys over on the bird swear you have to use a matching regulator. Bosch alt so bosch reg.

I had similar issue a little over a month ago, had both the alt and reg tested and they were OK. It worked when I tried the 2nd time.

Older guy at the shop, I gave him two bosch regulators I had, one mechanical and one electronic, he said they both worked but he prefered the mechanical.
Mechanical are the ones with the bigger case.
914 Ranch
It worked fine before I fucked with the car. The box up front works fine.

Click to view attachment

I just have to get the connectors linked together correctly.
914 Ranch
This car has to be my daily driver. We just got 1.86" of water in 2 hours. I installed this 2 days before Irma. We had 31" before that makes over 60 for the year. Sometimes driving the car is going to be wet.

Click to view attachment

914 Ranch
When I put the engine in the car in 09 the CDI and external regulator came sitting on top of the motor. Motor would not start, injection problem. Put carbs on and it had over 100 A/X laps. Always started right up. Car only had idiot lights and a tach. Now has all lights and indicators on the dash and an air horn.
When I did the box up front I needed to change some wires and took part of the wires off the bar in the engine bay. Big mistake.
The CDI gets its ground at the bracket for the coil. I'll check that. I needed to run a new wire for the starter, so the wires on the engine got changed.
The CDI gets its power from a dedicated relay turned on by the ignition switch. It has power.

I'M SO FUCHEN CLOSE....
914 Ranch
OK, so I looked at the alternator and the wires coming out of it are red, blue and black. The plug from the external regulator are blue black and brown. I hooked it up blues​, blacks, red to brown.
The CDI has power to it but the coil has none. The ground for the CDI at the coil is good. I'll check the connectors.
914 Ranch
Not correct. The brown to + turns off the red idiot light. Now I'm going to try to ground it.
914 Ranch
Dose the CDI produce power at the coil when the key is in the on position?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(914 Ranch @ Dec 9 2017, 08:35 AM) *

Dose the CDI produce power at the coil when the key is in the on position?

Bob Ashlock is a good guy and would tell you what values you should see on the CDI.
Sure he's hoping for a sale down the road, but he's a helpful, no BS guy. He charges $200 for a CDI rebuild.
914 Ranch
Thanks Mark, I'll check him Monday.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.