Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Inside door handle/pull
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Craigers17
Anybody know of a source for an inside door handle/pull made of billet aluminum? Not really interested in knowing the 17 different reasons why I shouldn't install such an aftermarket part or how bad it's gonna look.....simply looking for a source.

I've attached a small pic of the basic part I'm looking for just in case I'm calling it the wrong thing.

Thanks,
-CraigClick to view attachment
Mikey914
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Dec 9 2017, 09:29 AM) *

Anybody know of a source for an inside door handle/pull made of billet aluminum? Not really interested in knowing the 17 different reasons why I shouldn't install such an aftermarket part or how bad it's gonna look.....simply looking for a source.

I've attached a small pic of the basic part I'm looking for just in case I'm calling it the wrong thing.

Thanks,
-CraigClick to view attachment

The part is a casting. Not machined aluminum. Not really sure what you are looking for. There have been those that have eliminated this and used a strap to actuate the door.
Mark Henry
The door pull is standard VW part so look over on thesamba or any VW aircooled parts dealer.
mepstein
I’ve never seen one. Maybe the VW world has such a part.
Mark Henry
I just looked over on cip1, they have them for earlier bugs, just stock for late so you might be SOL.
I believe the 914 uses a T3 or T4 handle.
Craigers17
Thanks for the quick feedback....I'll keep looking, but might opt for the door strap type of pull.
Tom_T
There are a few members on here who do CNC work, so maybe one of them can cut you some from raw billet, & start their own new repro part source to sell on here!?
idea.gif

For the strap route, you might check around for someone doing the RS door panels &/or just the straps for 911 &/or 914 ("look"), & maybe SMC, Stoddard's, etc. may have them from the 911RS parts bin.

Also, someone (914 A&P ? - 914Rubber?) was making the 914RS-look door panels with straps IIRC - if you want to kill all the birds with one stone on your customized door panels.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Mueller
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 9 2017, 10:53 AM) *

There are a few members on here who do CNC work, so maybe one of them can cut you some from raw billet, & start their own new repro part source to sell on here!?
idea.gif

For the strap route, you might check around for someone doing the RS door panels &/or just the straps for 911 &/or 914 ("look"), & maybe SMC, Stoddard's, etc. may have them from the 911RS parts bin.

Also, someone (914 A&P ? - 914Rubber?) was making the 914RS-look door panels with straps IIRC - if you want to kill all the birds with one stone on your customized door panels.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

I'd have to hold one in my hands to see how feasible it really would be to make.... less that $10 in material but the setup can be a PITA. I like the idea of the 914RS panels and straps.
Dave_Darling
It's just a screw, a couple of bolts, and a pull-rod disconnect on your car to hold one in your hands, Mike... wink.gif

Though knowing you, it would lead to a complete re-engineering of everything inside the door.... biggrin.gif

--DD
Craigers17
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 9 2017, 03:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Dec 9 2017, 10:53 AM) *

idea.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

I'd have to hold one in my hands to see how feasible it really would be to make.... less that $10 in material but the setup can be a PITA. I like the idea of the 914RS panels and straps.

If you'd have any interest in taking a shot at CNC'-ing a pair of these, I'd be glad to take one of mine off and mail it to you. The part that I'd like to see made available is pretty much the stock look, only billet aluminum instead of chrome, "sans" the lines/ridges. In other words, a more "Spartan" version of the original, but cleaner IMHO.

PM me if you want me to send you my existing. I'd appreciate it, and would be willing to kick in some extra cash to offset some of your labor in getting things set up.
Thanks,
-Craig

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.