Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 suspension compatibility question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jt914
Can anyone confirm that this swaybar and A arm setup will work with 72 911 suspension? Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
I think it will, but the sway bar is the underbody type, bit of a hack on a 914.
I have an aftermarket one in my scrap pile.
mepstein
You will need 911 torsion bars, 914's wont fit, different number of splines.
jt914
Thank you for the replies guys, this isn't for my car. I have this setup listed for sale and some inquired whether it would work for his project or not so I figured you guys would know. I appreciate it.
mb911
I know one of the members here runs an underbody sway bar on his GT.. I will also be.
Dave_Darling
Note that the customer will need to find the body brackets for the bar. They add onto the supports that go across the compartment where the steering rack lives.

--DD
GeorgeRud
The underbody sway bar will work. Richie Gunther had to run a similar sway bar setup back in the 70s as the SCCA wouldn’t allow the through the body sway bars. They never seemed to like Porsches.
914Sixer
That set up is 74-up 911. Not recommend unless you are going racing. Bar is way to stiff for everyday use.
jt914
thanks for all the information. much appreciated.
HIPPIEKILLER
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Dec 9 2017, 06:53 PM) *

That set up is 74-up 911. Not recommend unless you are going racing. Bar is way to stiff for everyday use.

However it was used as stock in 911s. Were they also too stiff?

I do not want to make a mistake.

Thanks!
mepstein
QUOTE(HIPPIEKILLER @ Dec 10 2017, 02:06 PM) *

Thanks!

911's are much heavier cars so the suspension doesn't always translate perfectly to a 914. the torsion bars and sway bars are stiffer on the 911 and can make for an overly stiff ride on a 914-4 thats not destined for track use. Everybody has there own preferences, driving style and road conditions but bigger isn't always better if you want a comfortable ride.
jpnovak
Those are 74-89 underbody sway bars. These will only work if you have the aluminum cross-member, rear tie-connectors and underbody specific sway bar bushing brackets that mount to the rear tie connectors.

You need the full system to run that sway bar.

The a-arms by themselves will work. If you want to run a through-body sway bar, cut off the sway bar mounts and have the new drop link mount welded (better) or bolted in place.
914Sixer
About 600 lb difference between 911 and 914.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(jpnovak @ Dec 10 2017, 12:29 PM) *

Those are 74-89 underbody sway bars. These will only work if you have the aluminum cross-member, rear tie-connectors and underbody specific sway bar bushing brackets that mount to the rear tie connectors.

I beg to differ. I just drilled and threaded a hole for the mounting bracket into the steel crossmember.

Click to view attachment

I kept the steel tube crossmember because if fit better with the rad hoses, otherwise stock 911 susp.
bdstone914
QUOTE(HIPPIEKILLER @ Dec 10 2017, 01:06 PM) *

Thanks!

The compatible of the bar depends on the sum of all the suspension components and car configuration and use. Underbody sway bars come in 20 and 22mm. Due to the different fulcrum pivot distances the 20mm underbody is not as stiff as a 20mm through body sway bar.
If you go with the 911 torsion bars you now have stiffer torsion bars. Rear springs should probably be stiffer than stock.
From my experience a 20mm is not too stiff for the street.
If you want to stay with stock six torsion bars I have a pair that are from a SWB 911 and are the same size as 914 but will work in the 911 A arms with the loops for the sway bar.
bdstone914
[quote name='jpnovak' date='Dec 10 2017, 02:29 PM' post='2556568']

Sorry, you are totally wrong on the sway bar.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 9 2017, 01:22 PM) *

I have an aftermarket one in my scrap pile.

I've had a couple of guys have asked about my scrap pile sway bar, I doubt if I can find it as my scrap pile is now 20' round x 8' deep, likely several tons.
Every 4-5 years I take it in and use the cash to help pay for a holiday. maybe I can find it then, but it's highly doubtful if it will be complete.

I believe it's an Amco aftermarket bar, in fact I had both front and rear. I do know where the rear bar is but not the hardware. It's a real hacky POS.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.