Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear tow hook missing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 RZ-1
The piece that a tow hook fits into is missing from the rear of my car. It looks like it was never there. My bumper has the hole to screw in the tow hook. I couldn't find any reference to it in the PET. Is this a standard piece? Anybody have any ideas why it's missing? I looked at Restoration-Design to see if they had one and I could not find one.

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
Has the rear panel been replaced ?
Mikey914
Id guess yes
Tom_T
My guess is that the rear panel was replaced, but the shop didn't bother to follow the 914 Factory Shop Manual/Bulletins instructions to cut the tow hook attachment assembly & bracing & re-weld them to the replacement panel!
idea.gif

But that's just a silly wild ass guess, for someone who happened to actually read the manual since I expect that my shop may need to replace that panel! biggrin.gif

My suggestion is to look for another panel or parts car with one on, then follow the manual to cut & replace at your 914.

Bruce Stone/bdstone & others on here usually chime in about now to offer them up!

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Dave_Darling
My car looks the same way, for the same reason. Replaced tail panel.

--DD
Chris914n6
you are also missing the support for the bumper top pad.
sixnotfour
smile.gif
gms
check to see if the bracket is on the underside and then drill the hole

Click to view attachment
1970 Neun vierzehn
The tow hook bracket should look like this (OEM on a 1970)
JmuRiz
Beat me to it, my 73 looks like that too
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Dec 10 2017, 11:11 PM) *

you are also missing the support for the bumper top pad.

Yeah, I saw that! Does anyone have a picture of that? I guess I could fabricate one and bolt it to the body.
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(gms @ Dec 11 2017, 01:57 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Here's what mine looks like:

Click to view attachment
914 RZ-1
Here's another view. I wonder if the two jagged edges in the corner are indicative of repair. The bracket for the bumper looks a little beat up as well.

There is a shadow on the tow hook bracket, but is there a bolt hole on that side?

Click to view attachment
914 RZ-1
QUOTE(gms @ Dec 11 2017, 01:57 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Need some clarification: Can I just drill a hole and there will be a threaded hole? Or, do I still need the bracket on the outside?
914work
Yup its been repaired replaced.
Unfortunatly the internally threaded rod that would have protruded though that hole and been stich welded to the outside bracket looks to have been cut off.
Im familiar as I recently scabed a couple of these thinking I would use them for future trunk panel repairs.
Mark Henry
I'd ask how important is it to you?

The tow hook is OK for pulling the car dead straight on, but pretty useless any other way.
You could just make a flat steel hook that uses the shock bottom bolt. Make one for each side and you're all set if you ever need a flatbed tow.
maf914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 14 2017, 05:10 AM) *

You could just make a flat steel hook that uses the shock bottom bolt. Make one for each side and you're all set if you ever need a flatbed tow.

Or shop around for something like these:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.