Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Rally version -
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tadink
Hey All -

considering jumping back into the -teener pond- again - and am thinking about building a 'rally914' version to tackle my long and crappy county un-maintained road!

Is there a build thread anywhere that documents the basics for getting the car up in the air, creating longer suspension travel and a softer feel?

the 911 guys have a few build threads that I'll lean on for suggestions / ideas.

One question - the rear end of the teener has coilovers already, can my adjustable bilstien perch simply be moved to the right ride height or should we do something about modifying the springs along the way?

GOAL: a fun and somewhat more comfortable car that does not knock my fillings out when traversing the rough and bumpy paved road, while still having great handling and a porsche badge!

Thoughts? I think I have found a donor....so the party is almost ready to begin!!

Tom (tadink)
Napa (still here after the firestorm that started about a mile away and went the other way!!)
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(tadink @ Dec 9 2017, 02:34 PM) *

Hey All -

considering jumping back into the -teener pond- again - and am thinking about building a 'rally914' version to tackle my long and crappy county un-maintained road!

Is there a build thread anywhere that documents the basics for getting the car up in the air, creating longer suspension travel and a softer feel?

the 911 guys have a few build threads that I'll lean on for suggestions / ideas.

One question - the rear end of the teener has coilovers already, can my adjustable bilstien perch simply be moved to the right ride height or should we do something about modifying the springs along the way?

GOAL: a fun and somewhat more comfortable car that does not knock my fillings out when traversing the rough and bumpy paved road, while still having great handling and a porsche badge!

Thoughts? I think I have found a donor....so the party is almost ready to begin!!

Tom (tadink)
Napa (still here after the firestorm that started about a mile away and went the other way!!)

Awesome...I am starting a build very similar. Here is my motivation.

Starting with a 73 1.7

Click to view attachment
RoadGlue
*waves*

The back roads in Sonoma County are in total shambles from years of deferred maintenance as well. A few years back they were even thinking of letting some of the paved sections just crumble to the point where they could just make them gravel, but from my understanding they've thankfully opted to not do that.

I too have kicked the idea of a rally 914 around for years. Most of the rally 914s I've seen don't seem to have much of a lift, so it seems reasonable that you could simply adjust the lift into the coil overs' perches and turn in the torsion bars. What I don't know is if at a slightly raised height if you could still get the adjustment you'd need to properly align the car.

I also think you'd want to maintain a fairly stock spring rate front and rear and then just run a larger anti-roll bar to keep it from getting too sway-happy.

Normal 914 Koni Sports would also be too stiff, but you still need the adjustable perches. I'm curious as to what other people would recommend.

For those of you that aren't familiar with our back road situation - think of pretty much the worst state pavement could be in, with potholes and loose pea gravel scattered about.
RoadGlue
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Dec 9 2017, 02:54 PM) *

Starting with a 73 1.7

Click to view attachment

That looks more like a Safari inspired build. That has a lot more ground clearance than what I think of when I conjure up images of a rally car. It's awesome though. Makes me picture the Paris-Dakar Race 959, or something that would entered into the Baja 500.

Here's my take on a "rally" 914 -

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/d6/0f/d1/d60fd148...4e93461bf7f.jpg

http://www.rsr911.eu/wp-content/uploads/20...-6-1024x683.jpg
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Dec 9 2017, 03:02 PM) *

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Dec 9 2017, 02:54 PM) *

Starting with a 73 1.7

Click to view attachment

That looks more like a Safari inspired build. That has a lot more ground clearance than what I think of when I conjure up images of a rally car. It's awesome though. Makes me picture the Paris-Dakar Race 959, or something that would entered into the Baja 500.

Here's my take on a "rally" 914 -

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/d6/0f/d1/d60fd148...4e93461bf7f.jpg

http://www.rsr911.eu/wp-content/uploads/20...-6-1024x683.jpg

Nice...I need more ground clearance for the back roads near Temecula. 914 Rally / Baja pretty much with lots of lighting.

mepstein
Eric Shea built one.
URY914
Click to view attachment
r_towle
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 9 2017, 06:20 PM) *

Eric Shea built one.

Did he finish it?
I know he was working on it.
To the OP, eric figured out the suspension!
infraredcalvin
There was a member here, Moggy, that built and raced a rally 914. Search his username...
cary
Click to view attachment
gereed75
As Mel said Eric Shea has one under construction. There is a build thread on here somewhere.
tygaboy
Eric Shea's build:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=233216
Unobtanium-inc
I've seen it done to a 944.
tadink
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Dec 10 2017, 06:58 AM) *

PERFECT - that's the build thread I was looking for - did not come up in the searches....thanks! td
JmuRiz
Wow, forgot about Eric's build...did that thing ever get finished?
AZBanks
Did someone say ground clearance?

ValcoOscar
QUOTE(AZBanks @ Dec 11 2017, 01:32 PM) *

Did someone say ground clearance?

Yikes....that looks like Big Foot's (Monster Truck) little brother from the early 80's.

Can you say ROLL OVER ALERT!!!!! screwy.gif

I'm going for a 3-4" max lift at most...not sure about GT flares yet.

Oscar
Larmo63
I'd do flares, Oscar. I think the white flat sixes look a little thin in the flares, so maybe 7s all around?

The gray Fuchs wheels on one of Patrick Motorsports' cars look pretty good.

"Test Mule" car?
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 11 2017, 06:04 PM) *

I'd do flares, Oscar. I think the white flat sixes look a little thin in the flares, so maybe 7s all around?

The gray Fuchs wheels on one of Patrick Motorsports' cars look pretty good.

"Test Mule" car?

Got me thinking.... Thx
Rand
I'm sad to see people who care about each other getting into a weeenie bunch. I care about what you find. Stop whining and listen to the people who want to help you.This is a world of people who want to HELP each other.

Rand
Dang this went off the rails. Some monster truckers came. But let's help the OP?
Rand
Moggy (a for real 914 rally guy here) needs to be paid attention to. Erc is building something cool, but it's just a project. But it may end up on Jay's garage. :wacky:
These are all amazing people here. Look it up, take it in. And what's most amazing, they'll talk to you because they are real people like us.

JmuRiz
Here's Jeff Zwart's rally 914 at Millen's place in NZ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUtBdbzEKeA

His first car, and also the car he took on the Panama-Alaska rally years ago.
Basically a 914/6 with M471 factory kit on it, raised up, mudflaps, front belly pan (haven't seen the car in person to know if it has a rear belly pan), rally timers, REALLY nice cage and other goodies biggrin.gif

FWIW, I've loved his car ever since I saw a R&T article on it in the mid-late 90s

http://www.speedhunters.com/2011/11/car_sp..._porsche_914_6/
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.