Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '74 Blaupunkt Frankfurt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cal
Would these be correct for a '74 model year.....

Tom_T
Yes Jeff,

Generally you could've gotten any radio sold in <73-74 in a 74 MY 914, since most were dealer or aftermarket sold here in the USA, plus I think these were also a factory option (double check at Jeff Bowlsby's site's Options webpage list). That would include Porsche, Audi, VW & just about any other units (Motorola made many for the P/A/V accessories group VCP).

IIRC though, you'll need the 914-specific faceplate with the notch in the top right to clear the glovebox lock (or maybe not ... test fit it).

If the molded plastic faceplate to look like the dash face's vinyl basketweave (70-74) or brickweave (75-76), then they'd just use the metal closing plate with a cut piece of the vinyl adhered with interior adhesive instead. Most of the 911/912 & 914 parts suppliers sell small rolls &/or kits of the vinyl, or you can use scrap from you project or a local upholstery shop.

If you can find the plastic one, they usually look & fit better.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Gustl
there should be a sticker on the right side with the exact type number of the radio
this would identify the year

Click to view attachment

in this photo it's a 1977 model
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Cal @ Dec 10 2017, 11:23 AM) *

Would these be correct for a '74 model year.....

No, those are 1975 or later. Look at the font style.

You can compare the visual difference between model years here:

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/Accessories.htm

Here is a 1974 model Frankfurt

Larmo63
The earlier Frankurt models are better looking IMHO.
JOEPROPER
Cal, do they work? I'm looking for one for my 75...
GeorgeRud
They do show up on this site and eBay with some regularity(as well as on Pelican Parts or perhaps the Samba), but working ones are commanding premium prices. Just look around and you will across them, but as was reported, many other radios (Motorola) would also be considered “period correct”.
Mark Henry
Also depends what county you are from, they were dealer installed, in Canada you would likely have an Audiovox radio.
porschetub
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Dec 11 2017, 03:05 PM) *

They do show up on this site and eBay with some regularity(as well as on Pelican Parts or perhaps the Samba), but working ones are commanding premium prices. Just look around and you will across them, but as was reported, many other radios (Motorola) would also be considered “period correct”.

agree.gif I have a Frankfurt in excellent cosmetic condition but it won't work headbang.gif,read somewhere they are hard to repair due to their old technology,no one in my country appears keen to touch it so not really worth much.
Clean/complete working ones seem to bring between 400-$500 on a good day.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.