Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throw back 17 years ago, awesome car show
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Maltese Falcon
One car show (no longer held) that I miss today was in Beverly Hills, put on at the MBZ dealership for the local schools Educational Fund. At the year 2000 event there were over 100 cars, mostly Ferrari, Lambo, MBZ, Jag, BMW, there was even a v12 Ferrari engine on a test stand which was revved up at Lunchtime (uncorked biggrin.gif ). One group of judges stopped over at our 914 including Jay Leno who asked me some relative Porsche questions...he seemed somewhat knowledgeable about 914 history. In parting he mentions "You know the 914 and 9146 are one of the most underrated Porsches ever built"
He was right on with that observation...my small circle of 914 friends and I knew this from day 1 of 914 ownership ! At the end of that day my car is announced as 3rd place winner in European Street class, so I send my son ( Matty Lite ) up to the podium to take the trophy. Mr. Leno is also the trophy presenter, so Jay and Matt (only 10 years old) traded one liners on the open mic ; best one was how fast does your Dad drive with you in the car ¿ aktion035.gif Click to view attachment
Mueller
Pretty cool, thanks for sharing.

A neighbor of mine has a Renault like the one behind your car, waiting for him to finish restoring it so I can go for a ride in it.
tomh
Great story,I always liked Leno with his down to earth attitude.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 11 2017, 06:59 AM) *

Pretty cool, thanks for sharing.

A neighbor of mine has a Renault like the one behind your car, waiting for him to finish restoring it so I can go for a ride in it.

The Renault Turbo deux will NOT disappoint...you can throw it into the twisties like a 914. Keep your eyes on the op gauge, these are known for faulty oil pump drive shafts. CIS keeps the turbo a little towards the rich side, but not a big deal driving.gif
Marty
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(tomh @ Dec 11 2017, 07:12 AM) *

Great story,I always liked Leno with his down to earth attitude.

Truly a great ambassador to our car culture. When he's cruising the local hills he will always return your Hi-5 or friendly wave !
Marty
JmuRiz
How strange is is that 17 years ago doesn't seem very long ago?!
ValcoOscar
Marty-

Great story and nice looking car.

aktion035.gif

Oscar

Lucky9146
17 years ago really? Thanks for this thread and a great idea to share.
white914.jpg
Maltese Falcon
Thanks guys for your positive vibes ¡ Just build projects, especially 914s and time never stands still laugh.gif
Marty
GeorgeRud
And now, Jay has been able to drive Eric’s car but what would he think driving Marty’s beast? I think he would need to get one (assuming he doesn’t already have a few).
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Dec 12 2017, 06:58 AM) *

And now, Jay has been able to drive Eric’s car but what would he think driving Marty’s beast? I think he would need to get one (assuming he doesn’t already have a few).

George,
I think he has a silver CGT, a couple 356's and a BMW Isetta...but doesn't seem that his German car appetite is big. As far throwing the keys of my black six to any driver; ever since Don Sherman ( C/D Mag) melted down the engine of our (customer's) MSDS 924 turbo in 1976, it was an expensive lesson learned blink.gif
Marty
Bazza
Great story....thanks for sharing!
pete000
Great photo !
burton73
Best one was how fast does your Dad drive with you in the car ¿ driving-girl.gif driving.gif

Hi Marty,

Happy Hanukkah and what was the answer to how fast does your dad drive his car with you in it.

Best regards,

Bob B
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(pete000 @ Dec 12 2017, 11:13 AM) *

Great photo !

Thank you Pete, those were the Vivatar 35mm days rolleyes.gif
Marty
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(burton73 @ Dec 12 2017, 01:10 PM) *

Best one was how fast does your Dad drive with you in the car ¿ driving-girl.gif driving.gif

Hi Marty,

Happy Hanukkah and what was the answer to how fast does your dad drive his car with you in it.

Best regards,

Bob B

So Jay has my kid on the podium, Jay says "You're obviously not the driver "... [insert question here] ... answer was " We have been over 100 mph many times". Jay replies " Your Mother never hears about this Right ?" Crowd has a good laugh, as I look for s good hiding place from my wife idea.gif

Have a great Holiday Season Bob, maybe see you at Rennsport 6
Larmo63
Awesome story, awesome car, and black is a very nice color on a 914!!!!!!!

driving-girl.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 12 2017, 05:16 PM) *

Awesome story, awesome car, and black is a very nice color on a 914!!!!!!!

driving-girl.gif

Thank you Lawrence, agree on your color choice ...although we do have a white one now as well biggrin.gif
Marty
Larmo63
A little, innocent white one?
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 12 2017, 08:18 PM) *

A little, innocent white one?

Innocent, but the name of the paint Not so innocent; Gran Prix White
We shall see... aktion035.gif
rick 918-S
Great story Marty! beerchug.gif
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Dec 13 2017, 05:22 AM) *

Great story Marty! beerchug.gif

Thank you Rick smile.gif The star of the Show was a brand spanking new SLR McLaren Mercedes . So the DumbKoph behind the wheel pulls in a bit too spirited and catches the oil pan on the driveway. Never seen so many people wince in agony at a car show like that blink.gif
He had some 'splainin to do !
Enjoy the Holidays Rick + Family
Marty
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.