Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Some metal work
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Zeke
I saw some hand formed aluminum yesterday at Dunkel's. I did post this at Pelican, but I wanted to see how it works here. Sorrry to be redundant as I know most of you go back and forth. I think there are more 914 boards than 911.
Zeke
I'd like to put 2 pics in a post from my local disc, but I guess that's not available. Or I don't know how.
Chris H.
Zeke-

The "trick" for putting pics from your local HD onto the BB was figured out by JP Stein I think. Just browse for the pic, select it, and post it, but DO NOT preview the post first, just post it without previewing. Hope this helps.

Chris H.
brant
zeke,

who had these metal pieces, and are they selling them ?

our silly vintage org out here requires the removal of all plastic turn lenses... I was going to make some flat block offs... but those are purtttty....

brant
Zeke
Brant, sorry. I should have tole the story: I hogged out the wood form with a 4" grinder using a 24 grit disc. I heated the alum with a high carbornizing flame to soften it. It was sooty from the torch, hence the black dots on the form. I then hammered and dollyed the pieces using conventional metal techniques. I don't have and mandrels to beat on, so I put one of my dollies in a vise. Trimmed it up and fit it. I have no idea about how I'm going to mount it yet. The buckets are gone, it's just the fender.
J P Stein
Milt:
Are you familar with Vulkem caulking?
Run a bead around the surface and stick it on....maybe some masking tape to hold it till the stuff dries. With a bit of care, you should be able to apply it so it doesn't show.
If you ever want em' off, you'll have to cut the bead, tho.

Vulkem is as useful as duct tape. biggrin.gif
Zeke
I've decided to have some tabs TIG welded on the back and screw them on from the underside.
914Timo
Those are really nice !!!! clap56.gif

Thanks for sending the pics and telling the story behind them. It is allways very interesting to see and understand how sombody have done something. I like especially your second pic. It shows you have done lots of smash.gif
neo914-6
You might be able to pour a concrete mold and plug. This would allow you to "press" a thin enough piece of aluminum with out all the pounding. This is what a bus company I worked for did for their early rounded metal bodies. If it worked in the 50's it could work for this application.
Good luck!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.