Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey Mikey, I'll like it!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rand
It's been a while, so thought I'd ping you on this again.

Any chance we could get lightweight, early style bumpers out of your outfit? I know there are fiberglass and carbon options out there, and I've been lucky enough to find good deals on used ones in the past. Good new ones are still spendy though. I think you said fiberglass was out of the picture for you, but what about other materials?

Just a friendly follow-up with a twinge of new product request. Well, more than a twinge. Please? smile.gif Is it only me? Or is there more interest in this? Let's get Mikey stoked!
Larmo63
We'd like them lighter than air, and stronger than stock bumpers.

Thanks.
11tenths
agree.gif

Oh yeah, been on my wish list since first getting the car.

Don't forget the GT front oil cooler version.

- Harry
Mikey914
We are currently working on a bumper option. Just need the details ironed out.
Mark
Rand
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 15 2017, 09:34 PM) *

Thanks.

laugh.gif Is that your way of saying I'm asking for too much?
I appreciate the fact that Mark is working on it. That tells me something good is coming.
11tenths
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Dec 16 2017, 06:12 AM) *

Mark

So... like maybe an option for a radar-absorbing coating like the stealth fighters use?

rolleyes.gif

-Harry
wes
piratenanner.gif popcorn[1].gif
Larmo63
QUOTE(Rand @ Dec 16 2017, 10:39 AM) *

Thanks.

I appreciate the fact that Mark is working on it. That tells me something good is coming.

No, it means we want them in the worst way!!!!!
Rand
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 16 2017, 02:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Dec 16 2017, 10:39 AM) *

Thanks.

No, it means we want them in the worst way!!!!!

YES! smile.gif
I hope some form of vacuum molding plastic or whatever Mark does busts open a new hole in our bumper marketplace.
beerchug.gif
Rand
Mark

Bump, any more details ironed out yet? I'll loan you my steamer. smile.gif

Mikey914
We have the ability to do these in Carbon fiber, but the cost is expensive enough that we felt it better to pursue the "stock" bumper 1st. we can get costs down in quantity, but the issue with the fiberglass and carbon fiber is that if we use a "chrome" coating the prep required is actually more than painting as it isn't a thick coating and will not hide much. By the time we make these (and others do make a fiberglass version) it's close to the cost of a "real" bumper. So other than lightweight, didn't seem to pencil out.

But get me 10 takers at $900 each and we can talk

Yes would make a plastic version, but Not sure I want to go there. Tooling is still not cheap.
falcor75
Aslong as we are talking new products, any update on the rubber doohickey that goes on the top of the aluminium triangle window rail in the doors?
914work
Huh, blink.gif are we talking about a high impact plastic (like) bumper option with OE Look & fit? idea.gif
That's gotta be a better option than FG biggrin.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(914werke @ Jan 24 2018, 10:30 PM) *

Huh, blink.gif are we talking about a high impact plastic (like) bumper option with OE Look & fit? idea.gif

Yes we can form high impact plastic, the problem is it's not a structural material. The more modern bumpers have a substructure that supports absorption of impact. I'd love to make a "better" bumper, but this is uncharted territory for me that I can't in goo conscious make.

If someone were killed in an impact and the possibility that my part may not have performed as well or better than factory would be more than I could bear.

I have no problem making a cosmetic bumper to only be used for off road use that is a piece of steel that is the same size as OEM.

But to do so for a piece of plastic and substructure to absorb impact of my own design, would mean that I never intended it to be for show use only. So kind of a catch 22 on these.
gothspeed

+1 ... that sounds like a great idea .. smile.gif

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 24 2018, 10:50 PM) *

Yes we can form high impact plastic, the problem is it's not a structural material. The more modern bumpers have a substructure that supports absorption of impact. I'd love to make a "better" bumper, but this is uncharted territory for me that I can't in goo conscious make.

If someone were killed in an impact and the possibility that my part may not have performed as well or better than factory would be more than I could bear.

I have no problem making a cosmetic bumper to only be used for off road use that is a piece of steel that is the same size as OEM.

But to do so for a piece of plastic and substructure to absorb impact of my own design, would mean that I never intended it to be for show use only. So kind of a catch 22 on these.
A substructure with cosmetic plastic outer would certainly do the trick. Many cars these days have plastic outer and Styrofoam behind it. Also a light metal sub structure inside. smile.gif
Mikey914
Most cars are designed with the crumple zones and the bumpers are the 1st sacrificial part. These cars have the bumpers tied to the frame. Looking at the design differences to make a safe conversion would mean more that just making a cosmetic conversion, and I would never make anything that would decrease the level of safety the factory had designed in.

Could this be done, yes. But the engineering involved to meet any current standard would require extensive modification.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.