Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuchs education
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Cal
I'm considering doing a 5-lug conversation to my '74 2.0L using Eric Shea's kit from PMB. I'd prefer this option because I can easily convert it back to the 4-lug if needed. There are a number of replica Fuchs available from Maxilite that look pretty good....15x6 (deep 6), 15x7R and the standard 15x7. The offsets on each of these wheels is different ET36, ET47 & ET23.3.....are there advantages/disadvantages with each? What would be the safest tire width that could be run on each of these wheels without modifying the bodywork on the car.....would 195/65/15 be a safe bet? The photo below would be the ideal look that I'm looking for....15x7 with the RS or RSR finish. I'm open for suggestions / opinions.
Cairo94507
On a narrow bodied car, I would go with the deep six. I really like the RSR finish too.
GeorgeRud
195/65-15 fit nicely and have a proper vintage look. 205s can sometimes fit. Eric’s conversion kit will certainly be the easiest way to get all the proper parts for the conversion. 6” wide Fuchs (or replicas) fit very easily, though folks have fit 7” wide wheels if they have the proper ET (backspacing) to prevent the tires from rubbing the fenders. There is some variability on the fender clearance from car to car (and even from side to side on the same car), so going a bit conservative is safer. You can always use some spacers if you decide to increase the track if desired.
Mark Henry
I have a narrow body, flat 020 Fuchs 15x6, with 205/60-15 tires they fit perfect with no fender rolling.
15x7 and/or any bigger tire you can bet you will have to roll/pull the rear fenders.
sb914
Check the classifieds There's someone selling a pmb five lug conversion right now
JOEPROPER
Which is the RS and which is the RSR? huh.gif wacko.gif confused24.gif
porschetub
I would like to go back to 15x6 from my 16x7 because I really like the look more,I bought Maxilites and found them to be good quality I paid less than 1K for the set (4) ,they are a slightly different casting than the genuine Fuchs but its hard to notice.
Click to view attachment
One pleasant surprise was the weight of the Maxilite wheel...not a lot heavier than the Fuchs.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(porschetub @ Dec 16 2017, 01:50 PM) *

....they are a slightly different casting than the genuine Fuchs but its hard to notice.

Real fuchs are forged, not cast, same goes for the 4 bolt fuchs. Why they are so light but strong.
Likely you know that but just an FYI for newbies.
burton73
I had some 7-inch x 15 Fuchs copies back in 1978. They where some real crap. Super heavy and had texture on the areas near the paddles and lug area. (Any thing they could not machine smooth.) Un-sprung weight is a killer in the handing and you really can feel it when you drive. Boom. We have lots of potholes here in Los Angeles and it has taken out lots of people’s tires and who knows what it does to the wheels.

At that time that is what was sold as copy wheels. The ones today are so much better and some look great. But if you have the money, go real. In the end you will be happy and if you ever want to sell them it is not like you will have a problem.

Now some copy’s say they meet some race standards but I do not know anything of race standards so some may chime on here on those standards. (Boom, Boom)

Bob B
SKL1
Both my 914's are narrow body. Have 6X16 Fuchs F&R onboth (from front of older SC, etc.) More tire choices and real Fuchs. Close, but fit fine.
Had Harvey Weidman refinish the wheels- highly recommended.
SKL1
6X16 Fuchs.Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 16 2017, 11:09 AM) *

I have a narrow body, flat 020 Fuchs 15x6, with 205/60-15 tires they fit perfect with no fender rolling.
15x7 and/or any bigger tire you can bet you will have to roll/pull the rear fenders.

agree.gif
Also agree to real Fuchs vs copies.
Larmo63
agree.gif

Click to view attachment

These are real deep sixes in RSR finish running 205/60 x 15 Yokohamas. Real Fuchs wheels are super light, very strong, and getting expensive. I prefer the look of 15s on our cars, but that is just personal preference. They look great IMHO, but some of the replicas on the market today are hard to distinguish from the real thing.
mepstein
If you want to prove to yourself that 7’s won’t fit, you’re welcomed to borrow one from me to try on your car. I wouldn’t do it though because your paint is pristine so even a little “gotcha” would suck. 6x15 - 205x60x15 fills up the wheel well and is actually a lot of tire for a stock 4. Get a high performance tire. Most of us drive our cars so little that the tires will age out long before they wear out.
Larmo63
agree.gif

E X A C T L Y
sixnotfour
7R offsett will
bdstone914
I sold a set of five 6 x 16 real Fuchs to a customer who now wants to sell them. $1200 for the set of five. As I recall all were in pretty nice shape but one needed a repaint.
HansJan
After screwing around with bigger tires I ended up with 205-55-R16 on 7” Fuchs all around. Totally fills up the wheel-well.
It’s all personal preference, and what ever you decide to do it can be reversed easily.

Click to view attachment
Unobtanium-inc
My brother might be selling the Al Reed style ones off his Carrera, I'll check on the size.
mepstein
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Dec 17 2017, 11:11 AM) *

My brother might be selling the Al Reed style ones off his Carrera, I'll check on the size.

They look like 7's & 8's.
larryM
interesting -

6x16 real fuchs seem to be offered at a comparative bargain right now cuz many 911 guys are going to 7&8

a recent other thread suggests our germany cohorts cannot install any repro that does not have the TUV cert -

- they must meet stringent stds for road use unlike many earlier repros - which for most of us is likely good enuf for occasional track days

the gregggearhead TUV-approved copies look nice & if in fact TUV approved (will have certif sticker)

for reasons incomprehensible to me - the market for oem fuchs 15x8 is going nuts - wheels for which we are hard pressed to get street tires ???????

for that matter 16x8 fuchs & BBS as well (which everyone was getting rid of 10 yrs ago) are going market nuts

p.s - i'm looking for a set of old BBS RA 8x16 (circa 1984-87 carerra) - and/or a pair of 8x16 fuchs replicas to match a pair i already have - see http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...plica-pair.html

sixnotfour
I used to buy 6x16s for $100 or less, but the 17inch rebarrell and 3 piece market made them scarce... they are no bargain anymore.
mepstein
Apparently, a TUV sticker doesn’t guarantee certification. Lots of counterfeiting going on.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...chs-ebay-2.html
Cal
Thanks for all the feedback.....it's appreciated. The real 15" Fuchs have gotten crazy expensive the past couple of years, thats why I was considering replicas. I've also considered going to 16x6's as a couple of members have pointed out. I like the look of this car with 16's.
sixnotfour
thats the best 16x6 picture Ive ever seen....I am guessing they are modified to 16 x 7 making rhem like the 911R 15's

16x7.5s I made
raynekat
It's very true that real 15x6 Fuchs are Uber expensive.
I bought a set of four mismatched flat 6's for about $2k.
That's right.
Add another $1k to refinish and that's your lower end for a set.
I've seen people asking as much as $8k for a set of refinished 15x6 factory Fuchs.
Sign of the times.
mgphoto
Real 5 1/2 x 15's with hearts!
195/65 -15
Just the right look to me.

Click to view attachment
Racer
find a 6x15.. deep or flat.. and if you want to fill out the fenderwells, add 1/4" spacers till you rub. 205/50 or 195/60. Considering how sticky modern tires are, you don't really need to cram anything larger than a 205 unless you are running some serious hp.

if on a budget, then look for 6x15 cookies as they haven't been completely priced to oblivion like Fuchs have. or go period correct alternate and get some 6.5x15 Minilites instead!

different ET36, ET47 & ET23.3

ET36 is what you want.

ET 49 (911R) means that the extra width (7" vs 6") is carried to the "inside" of the fenderwell. So , when comparing a 7x15 et 23 vs a 7x15 et49, the 23 will have a "dish" whereas the 49 will look like a 6".

An alternative look would be 7x15 phonedials, available in both et23 and 52 for cheap.
Cal
Ok....next question. What's the deal with the 14x5.5 Fuchs.....is anyone running them? I know they were original to the 6. The current price of used 14's seem reasonable.
Larmo63
14" tire choices are quite limited, that's why the 5.5 x 14" Fuchs sell for less.
mepstein
QUOTE(Cal @ Dec 18 2017, 07:42 PM) *

Ok....next question. What's the deal with the 14x5.5 Fuchs.....is anyone running them? I know they were original to the 6. The current price of used 14's seem reasonable.

It’s hard to find decent tires for the 14’s.
If you like cookies, I have a set of 6x15 for $500. Probably throw in a collapsible steel spare.
Larmo63
You can't argue with the look of deep sixes.....matching dates w/hearts

Click to view attachment
Cal
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 18 2017, 07:57 PM) *

You can't argue with the look of deep sixes.....

Click to view attachment

Lawrence....why don't you sell me your deep 6's....I'll give you $2K for everything wink.gif

Vredestein has the Sprint Classics in a 195/70VR14 size.....that might work well for 14" Fuchs.
Larmo63
Go with the 14" w/Veredesteins, that would be a good set-up!!

I'm actively looking for a pair of real 7Rs......!!!

I'll keep my set until I decide to go wide body sawzall-smiley.gif
Mark Henry
Flat, deep, hearts lets face it no one knows the difference except for porsche guys, in fact even non-P gear heads wouldn't notice the difference looking right at them.
Racer
I run 5.5x14 on my -6 with 196/60-14 Falken Azenis RT-615k tires.

I need to free up $500 and call mepstein! wink.gif
mgphoto
14 inch tires were for the touring set, softer ride, a little bit "floaty".
15 inch for the more aggressive driver, better control, a bit more harsh ride, better road "feel".
mepstein
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Dec 18 2017, 09:23 PM) *

Flat, deep, hearts lets face it no one knows the difference except for porsche guys, in fact even non-P gear heads wouldn't notice the difference looking right at them.

That’s fine, I buy my 914 parts for me. beerchug.gif
Alapone
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 19 2017, 01:34 PM) *

A question for you guys who know the market, how much should I be looking to add in a trade for a set of 16s 6 and 7 for a set of 15x7?

I have had the 16s on for a couple years and 2.0l 15s before that. The car is just better suited to the 15 in wheel.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Hans Jan @ Dec 17 2017, 01:32 AM) *

After screwing around with bigger tires I ended up with 205-55-R16 on 7” Fuchs all around. Totally fills up the wheel-well.
It’s all personal preference, and what ever you decide to do it can be reversed easily.

Click to view attachment

I have 205/55 16 on my 7" rear, 6"wide front- the 7" rubbed in rear, not in front- blistered my paint and rolled fenders were a disaster that had to be repaired, now the 7" fit but still so close - its not worth it- cars vary , one car may fit but mine did not - I put the 6" in front and have 1/2" spacers and no rubbing looks great - the rear 7" will come off before I paint and will get same bridgestone Potenza performance tire on 6", and I can put 1/2 spacers on them and still have plenty of room because the offset on a 6 vs 7 is all from center out, not in. SO if you have new paint , stay with the 6" rims- you only loose like a 1/2" of tread width not stretching them across a 7" rim - the tire width of the Potenza on the ground is more than 7" when mounted on a 6" rim.

Phil
Mark Henry

And that is fine, just stating they're all fine choices.
Just saying hearts and deeps command higher coin, where the flats will likely be easier to find, cheaper and few know the difference.

I knew about hearts because the VW bug guys wanted them due to them being narrower, but I didn't even know the difference of flat and deep six till after I got my flats.
Price I paid, actually part of a trade, was dirt cheap.
mepstein
QUOTE(Alapone @ Dec 19 2017, 01:39 PM) *

A question for you guys who know the market, how much should I be looking to add in a trade for a set of 16s 6 and 7 for a set of 15x7?

I have had the 16s on for a couple years and 2.0l 15s before that. The car is just better suited to the 15 in wheel.

7x15 are still very desirable. I used to get a pair for $500, now its more like $750-1,000 in driver condition and X2 if they are refinished.
gothspeed
QUOTE(Cal @ Dec 17 2017, 10:07 PM) *

Thanks for all the feedback.....it's appreciated. The real 15" Fuchs have gotten crazy expensive the past couple of years, thats why I was considering replicas. I've also considered going to 16x6's as a couple of members have pointed out. I like the look of this car with 16's.

This car has 16 x 7 (951 prefix part number) in the rear smile.gif
burton73
951SN- 7 x 15 are the very same as a 911SN -7 x 15.

I have both in my shop and have taken measurements and they are the very same. Now 8 inch 951 in 15 look like 7 from the front side but are 8 inches wide.

I have pictures in my phone and have posted them here before

Bob B
jmitro
951 never came with 15" wheels; only 16"
944 non-turbo had 15" and optional 16"
burton73
You are right my friend. Brain fog. I just had my 65 birthday.

Bob B

beer3.gif beer3.gif Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mph911
I don't think you can beat 15x6 Fuchs (Flat or Deep) with a period correct 185/70.
gothspeed
QUOTE(burton73 @ Dec 25 2017, 08:36 PM) *

You are right my friend. Brain fog. I just had my 65 birthday.

Bob B

beer3.gif beer3.gif Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Yep, the recessed lug bores gave it away beerchug.gif
Cracker
These are Fuchs on 6 & 7's - my original car build. It was too much in the rear with the 225's - took allot of massaging. It ultimately fit but barely...contrary to the appearances, they did not rub. Also, I should have left this car this way - it was badass! Live and learn!

Tony

Click to view attachment
Cal
I've traded a couple of emails with a fellow ESR member who's had the deep 6 Maxilite wheels on his SWB 911 for the past 4 years and loves them.....they look pretty damn good and they're lighter than Fuchs. He lives in Stuggart, Germany where the wheels are TUV approved with papers. For the short term it might be worth purchasing these until I find a reasonably priced set of real deep 6's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.