Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuchs education
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Cracker
...and why not long-term? Unless you are entering concours...which maybe you intend too, what difference does it really make? Just a thought...

Tony
Cal
QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 26 2017, 10:15 AM) *

...and why not long-term? Unless you are entering concours...which maybe you intend too, what difference does it really make? Just a thought...

Tony

You have a valid point.....if they're as good as I've heard there wouldn't be reason to get the real ones....
sithot
QUOTE(Cal @ Dec 26 2017, 10:28 AM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 26 2017, 10:15 AM) *

Tony

You have a valid point.....if they're as good as I've heard there wouldn't be reason to get the real ones....

Lots of choices too depending on your car(s).

Click to view attachment
SixerJ
Compare and contrast with the same car

Original Deep Sixes:

Click to view attachment

Flat Sixes:

Click to view attachment

I threw these on just before I sold the car as I wanted to keep the deep rims. Flats were repros, not sure what though. Rims themselves were ok, but paint masking not quite right

Same tyres on both rims, Pirelli P6000 195/65/15

Love the way 15" rims and slightly taller tyre fills the arches (personal preference)
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Cal @ Dec 26 2017, 08:10 AM) *

I've traded a couple of emails with a fellow ESR member who's had the deep 6 Maxilite wheels on his SWB 911 for the past 4 years and loves them.....they look pretty damn good and they're lighter than Fuchs. He lives in Stuggart, Germany where the wheels are TUV approved with papers. For the short term it might be worth purchasing these until I find a reasonably priced set of real deep 6's.

@Cal

Jeff, is your friend still happy with his wheels, and did you buy a set? Thinking about going Maxilite for a set of 15x6 and 15x7 wheels…
porschetub
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 14 2020, 10:03 AM) *

I've traded a couple of emails with a fellow ESR member who's had the deep 6 Maxilite wheels on his SWB 911 for the past 4 years and loves them.....they look pretty damn good and they're lighter than Fuchs. He lives in Stuggart, Germany where the wheels are TUV approved with papers. For the short term it might be worth purchasing these until I find a reasonably priced set of real deep 6's.

@Cal

Jeff, is your friend still happy with his wheels, and did you buy a set? Thinking about going Maxilite for a set of 15x6 and 15x7 wheels…

Pete you can't go wrong,very happy with the 16's I bought,nicely made and my tire guy (30yrs experience) was impressed with them,with new tyres they balanced with minimal weights.
Not sure about weight,I thought they were a bit heavier than genuine but not 100% on that.
I would prefer 15'' as I like the look better,the importer didn't have any 15's so got the 16's,needed wheels @ the time as my car was on space savers.
Cal
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 13 2020, 06:03 PM) *

@Cal

@horizontally-opposed
I never purchased the Maxilite rims....I ended up keeping the original fuchs on my car.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Cal @ Sep 15 2020, 09:42 AM) *

@horizontally-opposed
I never purchased the Maxilite rims....I ended up keeping the original fuchs on my car.

Thanks, Jeff / @Cal!

Any chance you can check in with your friend to see how they're holding up a few years later?

QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 13 2020, 04:01 PM) *

Pete you can't go wrong,very happy with the 16's I bought,nicely made and my tire guy (30yrs experience) was impressed with them,with new tyres they balanced with minimal weights.
Not sure about weight,I thought they were a bit heavier than genuine but not 100% on that.
I would prefer 15'' as I like the look better,the importer didn't have any 15's so got the 16's,needed wheels @ the time as my car was on space savers.

For pure function, I'd definitely go 16s—for the tire choices alone. Also like the look on some 914s. Sadly, I have the 15-inch bug when it comes to my own 914, so my choices are stick with the current deep 6s (likely) or move to a set of Maxilites with custom finishes. The motivation is a desire to mount 215/60R15 rear tires with the massaging necessary to get them in there.

The Maxilites are pretty close in appearance—only thing I really see is the lip that the center cap is supposed to cover is thinner, and you lose some of the cool detail (that wasn't meant to be a detail) inside the wheel if you run without caps (which I prefer). My alternatives is to either have Harvey widen my rears, or find a set of true 7Rs, which is in the high $,$$$ range. Or move to 205/60s all around if I can find a tire I like. Not in any hurry, but would like more rear tire and looking to have a plan for when these Avons age out in a year or so.
Cairo94507
Harvey widened a set of deep 6's for my car. Unfortunately they did not work out for me but they were beautiful wheels done to his extremely high standards. I ended up trading them to him for a matched set of stock deep 6's- of course they are prefect too.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 15 2020, 11:41 AM) *

Harvey widened a set of deep 6's for my car. Unfortunately they did not work out for me but they were beautiful wheels done to his extremely high standards. I ended up trading them to him for a matched set of stock deep 6's- of course they are prefect too.

Harvey does beautiful work, and restored the set of Fuchs currently on my car. I've spoken with him about his method of widening deep 6s into 7Rs, and he ably answered my questions re: the obvious: welding 50~ year old forged aluminum. The man knows his stuff, and it sounds like he can widen my existing wheels without having to refinish them.

Then again, selling my deep 6s and moving to replicas offers some financial upsides—and the cast wheels are new rather than forged but heat cycled for 50~ years. The hump I have to get over is whether I care about having real Fuchs on the car. It isn't an original 914-6, nor will it ever be. And for me, it's more about function than correctness.

And yet…
Unobtanium-inc
People are paying for FUCHS? Why didn't anyone tell me?
ri914
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 15 2020, 09:48 PM) *

I hope that is a secret hiding location and not a real dumpster smile.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 15 2020, 03:01 PM) *

Harvey does beautiful work, and restored the set of Fuchs currently on my car. I've spoken with him about his method of widening deep 6s into 7Rs, and he ably answered my questions re: the obvious: welding 50~ year old forged aluminum. The man knows his stuff, and it sounds like he can widen my existing wheels without having to refinish them.

Then again, selling my deep 6s and moving to replicas offers some financial upsides—and the cast wheels are new rather than forged but heat cycled for 50~ years. The hump I have to get over is whether I care about having real Fuchs on the car. It isn't an original 914-6, nor will it ever be. And for me, it's more about function than correctness.

And yet…

The nice thing about real Fuchs is they keep going up in value.
73-914
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Sep 15 2020, 09:48 PM) *

Perfect Picture
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 16 2020, 04:40 AM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 15 2020, 03:01 PM) *

And yet…

The nice thing about real Fuchs is they keep going up in value.

I don't expect this to continue indefinitely, as better repro's hit the market it will bring prices down. It happened with 16" Pre-A 356 wheels. I was getting upwards of $1000 a wheel for old bent and rusty 16's, then three companies made repro's, now I get about $400 for originals. The market will fill the void created, it always does. Which is why I did not have any 16's when the market fell out and why I won't be holding any deep sixes when the market falls out of FUCHS world. Shipped out my last full set to a dealer in Canada this week.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.