Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hi-Beam Selector
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike Wofford
I have 2 columns with switches and selector arms and neither one of them will hold in the hi-beam position. Is there a catch to hold the selector. Any help would be appreciated.
Mike headbang.gif
Brad Roberts
Good reason:

They dont.

All they do is activate a relay. They dont actually "hold" anything.

B
Mike Wofford
Brad, so when i use the selector it triggers the relay to keep the hi-beams on correct. Sorry I dont have a wiring diagram but is that relay up by the fuse panel or is it incorporated down by the headlamps.
thanks
Mike
tryan
that bird sight has the wiring diagrams. can you hear the relay click? if not, try swapping out relays.
TheCabinetmaker
Mike, the relay for the hi beams is above the fuse box. Switch them with known good ones and it should work ok. Does the high beam stay on as long as you hold the selector? if so, it's probably the relay.

Curt
MarkV
The high beam relay is different from the rest of the relays. It is square & silver on my 73. You can sometimes pry the cover off & file the contacts to get it to work again. smash.gif
TheCabinetmaker
You are correct Mark. It's been a while since I've been in there.
Mike Wofford
Thanks guys i appreciate the info. Mike
Brad Roberts
Sorry MikeW.. I was busy in the shop. These guy's gave you the info. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

B
Mike Wofford
Went through the wiring diagram to make certain what I had with the hi-beam relay. PO must have decided that he did not need hi-beams---No relay and no socket. Wiring is all there and can make a manuel connection and hi-beams come on. I can find the relay itself but I have not located a socket. Anybody have an extra that they would want to part with. Mike
TheCabinetmaker
Mike, I think I can fix you up. Let me look around upstairs, and I'll post back.

Curt
TheCabinetmaker
Mike, in my 73 and 74, the relay has a clip on the back that fits into one of the holes in the fuse mounting board.
In my 75, it just hangs by the wires. There is on socket for the relay
rhodyguy
mike, when i come down this am i'm sure we can discuss this for hours. did you check the fuse? i have a gremlin too. see you around 10.

kevin
Mike Wofford
Curt, On the back of the fuse board there looks to be at one time where a socket actually hooked (rubber pluged) . I know for certain that I have the solid Yellow, solid White and the yellow with the orange stripe hanging loose from the wiring harness. With the solid yellow and white having there other ends coupled to the fuse connectors. The Yellow with orange stripe coming from the dimmer switch. So on your 75 did the wires just connect to the relay itself or was there some type of socket also. Mike
Mike Wofford
Kevin, see you around 10:00 Mike
TheCabinetmaker
There is a:
large red wire with white stripe
large white wire
large yellow wire
small yellow wire with red stripe

All four wires go to back of relay. The other end of the white and yellow wire plug into the fuse block.
Mike Wofford
Curt, That was it. Thanks for the info, they work perfectly. Mike
TheCabinetmaker
Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smilie_pokal.gif beer3.gif
Brad Roberts
SCORE !!! clap56.gif

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.