Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1976 Yellow 2.0 for sale
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
Olympic 914
Not mine. local craigslist ad. I did see this car about a month ago and stopped an talked to the owner of the lot. the body is in very good condition. But I see he says it won't turn over.

Seem like a high price and I don't know what he has into it. but the engine work would be a lot easier than doing body work.

asking $8995

No affiliation. just putting it out there.

Click to view attachment

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/ctd/d/197...6401848648.html
87m491
Gotta love when a dealership says "it won't turn over"..."Needs a little work to be ready for the street or autocross track!"
So, won't turn because it is seized?, Bad starter or battery that you're too lazy to spend 90 seconds figuring out?! What is it that you do again?

QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Dec 18 2017, 02:06 PM) *

Not mine. local craigslist ad. I did see this car about a month ago and stopped an talked to the owner of the lot. the body is in very good condition. But I see he says it won't turn over.

Seem like a high price and I don't know what he has into it. but the engine work would be a lot easier than doing body work.

asking $8995

Click to view attachment

Mueller
QUOTE(87m491 @ Dec 18 2017, 02:14 PM) *

Gotta love when a dealership says "it won't turn over"..."Needs a little work to be ready for the street or autocross track!"
So, won't turn because it is seized?, Bad starter or battery that you're too lazy to spend 90 seconds figuring out?! What is it that you do again?

QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Dec 18 2017, 02:06 PM) *

asking $8995

Yep, could be $50 to fix or $2500 to fix.
andreic
This car was a flood damage, and it was completely submerged. It has a salvage title.

The dealer is dishonest; I asked him how high the water went and he tried to tell me that he does not know, but he thinks “not too high.” If you look up the VIN number you can see how it looked like when it was auctioned. That’s why the engine won’t turn, it needs a complete rebuild.

I would not worry about that so much as the fact that the dealer is not honest.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
looks like it would be a good project for someone if the price was right
era vulgaris
QUOTE(andreic @ Dec 18 2017, 10:41 PM) *

I asked him how high the water went and he tried to tell me that he does not know, but he thinks “not too high.”

How high? Looks like all the way. blink.gif

https://www.poctra.com/1976-PORSCHE-914/lot...RINGS-LA/Photos
Mueller
QUOTE(era vulgaris @ Dec 19 2017, 01:44 PM) *

QUOTE(andreic @ Dec 18 2017, 10:41 PM) *

I asked him how high the water went and he tried to tell me that he does not know, but he thinks “not too high.”

How high? Looks like all the way. blink.gif

https://www.poctra.com/1976-PORSCHE-914/lot...RINGS-LA/Photos

Someone paid $4500 for that?
Bobby Smith
This is why I love this forum. Great detective work on this one.
cal44
Nice detective work "brada"
Used cars sales people........"shifty eyes and bad shoes"
andreic
I think it all depends if it was fresh water or saltwater. (If fresh water I think $4.5k is not a bad price for it.) But my guess is it was saltwater, the car was sold at auction in Louisiana, and there's plenty of salt water there...

Even with this the dealer was not honest -- he stated that the car was sold at auction in NY... Oh well.
andreic
I think it all depends if it was fresh water or saltwater. (If fresh water I think $4.5k is not a bad price for it.) But my guess is it was saltwater, the car was sold at auction in Louisiana, and there's plenty of salt water there...

Even with this the dealer was not honest -- he stated that the car was sold at auction in NY... Oh well.
mepstein
Amazing cleanup ...but no way would I buy a flood car.
Olympic 914
QUOTE(andreic @ Dec 19 2017, 11:23 PM) *

The current dealer is in PA. When I stopped and talked to him he was not interested in selling the car. this was back in October. claimed he wanted to build a track car out of it. He had another much shittier looking red 914 on the lot and I had tried to convince him to use it and not to butcher up the yellow car because it looked so nice. I did not know about the water issue or the salvage title and wasn't interested in picking up another project. I stopped because I had seen the red 914 on the lot previously and now there was a yellow one also. Really just stopped to BS with the owner.

It looks like it was purchased at auction by someone in Kentucky So its possible that they did the cleanup and then put it back on auction, and this dealer picked it up. confused24.gif

Great research on this car has been done by the members here, and again I don't have a dog in this fight, so it doesn't matter much to me.

But my car was really in much worse shape than this. and I would have been glad to start out with a body in this good of condition.

But water in the engine, water in the trans, gauges, fuel injection etc. would bring the value down quite a bit.
sithot
How high's the water?

Johnny Cash
sithot
[quote name='sithot' date='Dec 21 2017, 09:51 AM' post='2559810']
How high's the water?

Johnny Cash
Red76
I looked at the pictures he shows on CL and it has a funky speedo. Reads in kph. Seems if this car was under water all the guages would be fogged up on the inside? Not saying thats not the case. Just pointing out that the guages might have been replaced during the cleanup. That being the case who knows what the real mileage might be.
era vulgaris
QUOTE(Red76 @ Dec 21 2017, 06:27 PM) *

I looked at the pictures he shows on CL and it has a funky speedo. Reads in kph. Seems if this car was under water all the guages would be fogged up on the inside? Not saying thats not the case. Just pointing out that the guages might have been replaced during the cleanup. That being the case who knows what the real mileage might be.

Probably the same speedo, unless they matched a new one to the flooded one.
It's not difficult to disassemble the gauges for cleaning and to let them dry out if there was moisture inside.
burton73
I would not touch the car but I do see that the older car behind it like a 37 or so has the same mud patina all over it?

Bob B
Bobco
I am from Pittsburgh and saw it on CL. Talked with him and found its a salvage title.
GaroldShaffer
I always check the vins with the vin database here on the world. Some details as posted by member osvolant, last active in July 2014 from TN. Car details he posted was:

Backdated exhaust 4-into-1 Sebring header system. Euro lenses and km/h speedo. Per PO, purchased at Brumos, then exported to France before returned to USA. Repro 2-tone Fuchs 4-bolt wheels.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.