Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1970 Porsche 914/6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
harlenl
No affiliation.

https://inventory.driversource.com/vehicles..._eid=b7e69f08c4
sbsix
This car is 10 sixes past my VIN which was built in June 1970, yet it states this car was built in October 1970 and has a door jamb sticker with the VIN and build date of 10/70. A mistaken replacement sticker? Not sure what to think about this.
Mike Fitton
Got to be a replacement sticker that is wrong my 2604 is a 7/70 build.
flyer86d
What’s with the rear wheel arches?

Charlie
gcrotvik
"...the Porsche was lightly restored cosmetically (commissioned by the Morrisons) and then driven until 1999 when it went back into storage..."

Car has had a full repaint. Yes, that looks like a reproduction VIN sticker. There are are air bubbles underneath it and it appears to be in the wrong location on the door jamb. Reproduction VIN stickers weren't available in 1999 (although, real ones may have been available through Porsche).
bretth
The Vin stamped in the front trunk appears to be stamped up from the bottom. Aren't they usually stamped down from the top? Or did that vary? Something's fishy.

Edit: Maybe optical illusion.
gereed75
QUOTE(flyer86d @ Dec 19 2017, 11:33 AM) *

What’s with the rear wheel arches?

Charlie

yea Strange that you would make the effort to do a great resto and then screw with the wheel arches??
Mblizzard
A $114K car with KYBs?

I know there is a lot more to the car than that but really?
Gustl
A $114K car with a -4 tranny ?
PlantMan
This looks like a car that was available through Auto Kennel here is So Cal earlier in the year....
The rear wheel fenders are odd for sure.....
sixaddict
Here we go again........ popcorn[1].gif
pete000
Repaint looks a bit thick and the door jams are lumpy. At this price point paint is everything !

And I agree what the heck is going on with the rear fenders, Yikes!
burton73
popcorn[1].gif

Bob B
PancakePorsche
Similar to Mike's car my 2547 is also 7/70. Way too much work performed for a 25K mile car also. I also immediately noticed the -4 trans main case in the pictures.
BENBRO02
QUOTE(bretth @ Dec 19 2017, 01:02 PM) *

The Vin stamped in the front trunk appears to be stamped up from the bottom. Aren't they usually stamped down from the top? Or did that vary? Something's fishy.

I looked at those numbers and swore they were raised. Came back a half hour later and looked again and can't figure why I thought they were raised? It must be an optical illusion. Still many suspect details though.
bretth
QUOTE(BENBRO02 @ Dec 19 2017, 10:11 PM) *

QUOTE(bretth @ Dec 19 2017, 01:02 PM) *

I looked at those numbers and swore they were raised. Came back a half hour later and looked again and can't figure why I thought they were raised? It must be an optical illusion. Still many suspect details though.

Yeah I think it is just my brain. When I zoom in on the pic it looks raised otherwise it looks normal.
Larmo63
Those wheel wells.

barf.gif
914z
QUOTE(bretth @ Dec 19 2017, 10:02 AM) *

914z
QUOTE(bretth @ Dec 19 2017, 10:02 AM) *

The drivers door is pinching is the top and in the next photo you can see where the paint is missing at the top of the jam. But it is nice looking! Not sure the price will hold up though. It does have "CHICK IVERSON " a Plate bracket :-)
gulf908
and the trunk stamping looks a bit too tidy as well .....

Dennis
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(gulf908 @ Dec 20 2017, 03:01 AM) *

and the trunk stamping looks a bit too tidy as well .....

Dennis

That trunk ID plate is also a replacement, look at the vin stamping type font, its not even close to original!!

Click to view attachment
mepstein
It would be interesting to know what the trunk stamp shows. Was the stamp in a different location on the 6's.
sbsix
Just noticed that the A pillar VIN tag is a poor reproduction as well. The Karmann number in the rear trunk on sixes is in the middle close to the bumper bulkhead.
mepstein
It would be interesting to discover the past owners.
Mike Fitton
Uh Oh!! This car is in the World vin database with a warning about the ID plates and a picture is posted of the front trunk plate and it looks different. Looks like Auto Kennel had the listing back then.

Click to view attachment
cal44
Man......youz guys sure know how to pick fly sheeeet out of the pepper.
Radius-ed rear wheels wells, fake tags......oh' mommy what a cluster.
They are asking how much?..............shifty eyes and bad shoes

These types of issues remind me of fake Sunbeam Tigers, of which I was involved in for years, until I wasn't.
Some fake Tigers were so well done it fooled some of the experts until the cars were exposed by other experts.

Thanks for the continuing education on this one. Still learning.
rhodyguy
All of their cars seem pricey. The green Benz for $395k? Really?
boxsterfan
If money was no object to me (come on lottery!!), I'd already own this car.
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Dec 20 2017, 03:50 PM) *

If money was no object to me (come on lottery!!), I'd already own this car.

Did you read through this thread or just look at the listing and pictures?
Blue6
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Dec 20 2017, 01:49 PM) *

Uh Oh!! This car is in the World vin database with a warning about the ID plates and a picture is posted of the front trunk plate and it looks different. Looks like Auto Kennel had the listing back then.

Click to view attachment

Nice detective work Mike. This does appear to be the hot potato that Auto Kennel pulled because of questionable history. Has any member contacted the current seller? popcorn[1].gif
sixnotfour
that tag is chemically etched, they were for sale DE.Ebay

the one on the car now appears to be the one from Asse Sales
rick 918-S
How in the world do you make that car right after posting photos of it with two different stampings? Which one is real and which one is Memorex?? confused24.gif Altered wheel openings, strange windshield post tag... shades.gif Is PT Barnum selling that car?
peteyd
QUOTE(Gustl @ Dec 19 2017, 11:27 AM) *

What is the difference between a 4 and 6 tranny? I understand the tail and side shift difference, I just didn’t know there were differences between the 4 and 6 tail shifters.

Pete
sixaddict
Look on parts for sale on this site ... Fubawa ( or something like that) has a 901 with ZF LSD represented as a 914-6 box and the posts pretty much discuss the differences.
I believe there are pics of where numbers are as well and the different markings

QUOTE(peteyd @ Dec 27 2017, 06:12 PM) *

What is the difference between a 4 and 6 tranny? I understand the tail and side shift difference, I just didn’t know there were differences between the 4 and 6 tail shifters.

Pete

Cairo94507
I just know that the Six transaxles had the serial number on a flat section next to the spine of the transaxle. Here is mine:
Click to view attachment
My 914
QUOTE(cal44 @ Dec 20 2017, 06:33 PM) *

Man......youz guys sure know how to pick fly sheeeet out of the pepper.
Radius-ed rear wheels wells, fake tags......oh' mommy what a cluster.
They are asking how much?..............shifty eyes and bad shoes

These types of issues remind me of fake Sunbeam Tigers, of which I was involved in for years, until I wasn't.
Some fake Tigers were so well done it fooled some of the experts until the cars were exposed by other experts.

Thanks for the continuing education on this one. Still learning.

agree.gif

I learn a heck of a lot from reading threads like this. You guys have amazing powers of observation!
Dominic
QUOTE(peteyd @ Dec 27 2017, 06:12 PM) *

Pete

Gear Ratios: Taller 2nd gear (GA), Taller 3rd gear (O), and shorter 5th gear (ZA)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.