Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Smell gas in the cabin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Fatboy007
So yeah...75 fi...Smell gas when running. Does the fuel line run along the center section with the linkage? blink.gif
designerguy90
Yes. The feed and return lines run in the center tunnel. Assuming they are still the original plastic lines, its probably time for them to be replaced. The stainless steel line set from Tangerine Racing is fantastic, and is a fairly easy install, though my engine being out at the time probably helped matters a bit.
mzalanka
agree.gif

Def check send & return lines in the tunnel. Don’t drive until you rule out a leak in the engine compartment. Check fuel line connections in the engine bay to the return lines and FI rails. Also check injector seals including cold start valve at plenum.

If you can smell it in the cabin though it’s probably a front trunk issue. Check rubber fuel line connections under tank in the front trunk (accessible from underneath pass side - need to jack up & remove gravel shield).

Also possible/probable the emission canister/hose is removed and the tank is venting to the front trunk.

Fuel tank cap might not be completely on; gasket could be missing/cracked; gasket from plastic expansion tank to tank also could be missing or cracked.
Mikey914
Look underneath the car see if you see something dripping more often than not it's in the very front section where the fuel filter is in the pump.
Coondog
agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
Change all fuel lines. Several vendors sale the SS lines. Good time to change FI lines and don’t forget the green gas cap gasket
euro911
Don't overlook the hoses from the fuel tank to the fuel pump Under the tank.
Steve Snyder
Assuming there is not a puddle of gasoline under your car, the first things I would check/replace are the short line from the gas tank to the evaporation tank, the vent line from the evaporation tank, and the tank filler gasket. Failure of any of those items leads to gas fumes in the cabin when running, and they are much simpler to replace than the fuel lines in the tunnel (although replacing 40+ year-old plastic lines that carry gasoline through the cabin of your car is a good idea regardless).
Dave_Darling
Does the front trunk smell of fuel? If so, and the hoses under the tank are OK, you may have pin-holes in the tank. The tank partly sits on three felt pads glued to the inside of the compartment, and they have been known to trap water and lead to pinhole rust-through.

--DD
forrestkhaag
Or how about the expansion tank and/or the fume canister may spent. Is it a smell on hard cornering to the left? Several things can contribute but the above advice is all good / replace plastic lines with SS (cheap at Pep Boys) and all things-gas in the engine bay. Drive Man, Drive!

beerchug.gif
Fatboy007
Thanks folks... I'm gonna check it out tomorrow... What an awesome community pray.gif
ndfrigi
ooops sorry Stacey! old thread or last December thread of yours. All fuel lines replaced and has the SS tunnel lines and at the engine bay. Did you find where the smell is coming from? I hope just the charcoal canister since I didn’t refill it with charcoal.
ValcoOscar
Stacey-

You, or you and Noel are welcome to use my 2 post lift in OC should you need to. Just saying

Just PM me

Oscar
ndfrigi
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Feb 15 2018, 04:10 PM) *

Stacey-

You, or you and Noel are welcome to use my 2 post lift in OC should you need to. Just saying

Just PM me

Oscar

Thanks sir Oscar!
larryM
X2 - look hard at the vapor lines & connections at the tank/canister

very common problem - many old threads on this

- we are all asssuming that all of those are still intact as oem? (not common)

QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Dec 20 2017, 08:25 PM) *

Or how about the expansion tank and/or the fume canister may spent.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.